• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning the easy way

Status
Not open for further replies.
srs question:
Are you guys all on some quick change/AI type system, or are people pulling the barrel via a vice.

Since I am a poor/beginner, so far only have factory actions and yeah, pulling a barrel is not a "quick" operation

srs question:
Are you guys all on some quick change/AI type system, or are people pulling the barrel via a vice.

Since I am a poor/beginner, so far only have factory actions and yeah, pulling a barrel is not a "quick" operation
You must be doing it wrong, only supposed to take a couple seconds. I read it on the interwebz.

• Haha
Reactions: rancher5
I pull mine from breech to threaded muzzle.
Usually on a cord with a jag and rag.
You can be as obsessive or blase as you wish.
For me, a quick field clean is enough.
It's served me well for decades.

srs question:

Vice. I have one from SAC. It has an arca rail cut on bottom. I just clamp it into a mini gun plate I have and use a c clamp to hold it on the bench while I’m using it. If you’re not leaving barrel on for a long time and using anti seize, the barrels come off easy.

Realistically, it takes about 10min to clamp barrel in vice and spin off the action.

The pic of the target was after I scope off rifle, barreled action out, barrel off. Then put it all back together.

It’s a very simple process and it achieves several things:

Accuracy never “falls off”
I never have anything come loose during a match because I just torqued it all down
Less issues due to dirty action as I clean that too

Cleaning is preventative maintenance. You wouldn’t wait until your car engine “performance drops off” to change the oil. Same principle here.

Yeah, but we still need to weigh Dthomas against a duck to see if he’s a witch.
image(63).jpeg

Reactions: JeffLebowski
srs question:

You must be doing it wrong, only supposed to take a couple seconds. I read it on the interwebz.
If you have the right tools, it is extremely easy. After removing the scope, it takes less than a minute to spin a barrel off.

E2iQLRw.jpg

If you have the right tools, it is extremely easy. After removing the scope, it takes less than a minute to spin a barrel off.

E2iQLRw.jpg
If you clamp near the muzzle you don’t even need to remove the scope.

I once filled a leaded 9mm barrel with melted paraffin wax. Then I put the barrel in the freezer. Half an hour later I pulled the barrel out and hit it with a heat gun....and then a bronze brush....all the heavy leading was gone....actually...all the carbon, copper and lead was gone....but was it a good idea to heat/cool/heat the barrel?....meh...it still shoots great after 10K+ rounds...atleast for hitting steel at short range...but I don't run lead with Lee moose snot coated any more....they are powder coated now...and much less of a cleaning issue.

Might be a touch more involved if you are using a barrel nut setup... though if you have the nut 'frozen' using adhesives it'll be about the same.

E2iQLRw.jpg
I build guns as a business, I’m quite familiar. Jamming a proper bore guide in it (which actually does take only a few seconds) and cleaning as most do is totally sufficient. You can do whatever you like, but saying a full rifle disassembly to clean a bore is easier than a standard cleaning with a bore guide, is ridiculous. Remember, this started when you said CLR in the action was very bad and barrel removal was “key” when using CLR. One is preventable, the other just isn’t true.

I build guns as a business, I’m quite familiar. Jamming a proper bore guide in it (which actually does take only a few seconds) and cleaning as most do is totally sufficient. You can do whatever you like, but saying a full rifle disassembly to clean a bore is easier than a standard cleaning with a bore guide, is ridiculous. Remember, this started when you said CLR in the action was very bad and barrel removal was “key” when using CLR. One is preventable, the other just isn’t true.

I don't have to rezero when I clean my barrels the traditional way.

Reactions: wade2big
Not to mention, no one has said anything was a better or worse way. Simply putting out an option for anyone who wants to clean all the carbon out, without having to run more than a few patches or running a brush back and forth by hand.

Use it or don’t.

For additional info for anyone interested, I let a barrel soak overnight. Just drained it and timed it. Took me 7 min and 8 patches to do the actual non soak part. Barrel looks brand new with borescope (minus the normal wear from shooting)

Last edited:
Oh no. 3-5 rounds to re-zero.

I don't think adding more and more steps reinforces the "Easy Way" title of this thread. We've gone from 'just use a little CLR' to 'just completely disassemble the rifle to a bare barrel (because this could ruin your carbon steel action), soak the barrel for hours with CLR, and rezero' in only two pages. I'm not saying CLR doesn't work, just that it is hardly the "easy way".

I don't think adding more and more steps reinforces the "Easy Way" title of this thread. We've gone from 'just use a little CLR' to 'just completely disassemble the rifle to a bare barrel (because this could ruin your carbon steel action), soak the barrel for hours with CLR, and rezero' in only two pages. I'm not saying CLR doesn't work, just that it is hardly the "easy way".

Dude, if this isn’t easy, you’re a lazy mf’er.

Move on to someone else’s post and complain. Last time you were crying that the Henderson trimmer uses a bolt and not a micrometer.

Also, reading comprehension is a thing.

You took two pages because you apparently didn’t read “Remove the barrel” in the first post.

Dude, if this isn’t easy, you’re a lazy mf’er.

Move on to someone else’s post and complain. Last time you were crying that the Henderson trimmer uses a bolt and not a micrometer.

"Last time" being eight months ago. I also didn't give a sterling review about the Thunder Beast bipod in 2019. I know, I'm a horrible person. I'll try to refrain from discussing discussion topics on this discussion forum.

"Last time" being eight months ago. I also didn't give a sterling review about the Thunder Beast bipod in 2019. I know, I'm a horrible person. I'll try to refrain from discussing discussion topics on this discussion forum.

Yes, you’re a crybaby complaining mf’er who doesn’t know how to use a bipod correctly.

• Haha
Reactions: rancher5
What other credentials do you need to properly clean a barrel? Just wondering.🙄 Do I need to drop some cool credentials to satisfy your ego?

Again, you didn't read the original post.

Reactions: Ravenworks
I've recently been removing the barrel from the action to clean. After seeing how much junk is in the lug area, that can't be cleaned out if the barrel stays on, I'm going to continue to do so.

I've recently been removing the barrel from the action to clean. After seeing how much junk is in the lug area, that can't be cleaned out if the barrel stays on, I'm going to continue to do so.

Some people just have to bitch about everything.

I’m literally in three different texts with higher level shooters and/or known industry names that use a similar process. They are commenting how they don’t post here because of shit like this. We lose out on a lot of knowledge because people don’t know how to read and just keep reading if it’s not their cup of tea.

After letting my 300PRC barrel soak all night....I just cleaned it with a few patches and it looks like a mirror finish...with about 1350 rounds through it. I'd never spun the barrel of it off before and had some gunk around the back of the lugs....all cleaned up now....will put everything back together again and go to the range tomorrow.

It was easy...gave me peace of mind to get my eyeball on the throat at normal magnification instead of over analyzing everything with my borescope....overall it was a quick and easy process...

Reactions: NiteQwill
After letting my 300PRC barrel soak all night....I just cleaned it with a few patches and it looks like a mirror finish...with about 1350 rounds through it. I'd never spun the barrel of it off before and had some gunk around the back of the lugs....all cleaned up now....will put everything back together again and go to the range tomorrow.

It was easy...gave me peace of mind to get my eyeball on the throat at normal magnification instead of over analyzing everything with my borescope....overall it was a quick and easy process...

Yea, the other upside I didn’t mention was it’s easier to clean the breech. It’s also easier to clean the inside of the action when it’s just the action in your hand.

If you want to really get a good cleaning of your rifle, disassembly makes it very convenient. And it’s not a heavy lift to take it apart.

What I found really nice was.....in my current configuration...my rifle is at 22.5lbs. I...for some reason don't like locking it into a cleaning vise and moving around the rifle and feeling blocked at certain angles. With the rifle disassembled I could grab the action in my hand and flip it around to different angles and really get in there and clean it.

I also took time to put Dykem marking fluid on the back of my lugs and see how good the contact was. I've done it on the back of my bolt lugs...but it was interesting to see it on the back of the action lugs. I was reassuring to see the tight lock up with bolt close...and shake the action in my hand...absolutely no wiggle in any part. I was a rewarding endeavor.

Reactions: NiteQwill
Some people just have to bitch about everything.

I’m literally in three different texts with higher level shooters and/or known industry names that use a similar process. They are commenting how they don’t post here because of shit like this. We lose out on a lot of knowledge because people don’t know how to read and just keep reading if it’s not their cup of tea.
That's the issue. If it's not "this way" it's "no way." Instead, we should all embrace different methods. It's a big reason I add YMMV to advice posts. Even then, people will complain about something. Forums can be extremely helpful, or utterly toxic.

Interesting.

I can see the benefits from removing the barrel and cleaning this way. Personally it's not my preference to take the barrel off every ~200 rounds (my cleaning frequency), but I may take my barrels off every ~1,000 rounds to try this out. My current cleaning regiment seems to clean up the barrel fairly quickly and effortlessly, but it would be interesting to take the barrel off every once in a while to see if there's areas not getting adequately cleaned.

This is also one of the very few circumstances where I would see the convenience of a "switch barrel rifle", though spinning a barrel off with a vice and action wrench is not that painful.

They are commenting how they don’t post here because of shit like this. We lose out on a lot of knowledge because people don’t know how to read and just keep reading if it’s not their cup of tea.

Just sad...but even the Hall Monitor can’t police 158,000 members.

I’m interested in this for throat polishing every 500 rounds. @Dthomas3523 are you flitzing the throats at any interval?

I haven’t done anything except the described method. For my purposes, the barrels shoot .4 or so (that’s probably limited by me). So I just care about not having carbon buildup cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.