• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Clear "lacquer" over adjustment screw on X-Mark pro?

acebanana

Obi Wan Kanobi
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Went to adjust my x-mark pro trigger (the internally adjusted ones) and noticed it seems like theres this clear stuff covering the screw for what I thought was the weight adjustment. Anyone ever had this before? Wasn't sure if it was just a drip of hot glue or what, and if I should stick some heat to it or what. Tried to take a picture of it below.

20130225152247proshot.jpg

Yep, it's so they know if you've messed with it. Probably closer to fingernail polish than glue. No big deal scraping it off if you're tuning the trigger. I'd look up "Ernie the gunsmith" and buy his x-mark pro trigger spring if I wanted to decrease the trigger pull weight, though.

John

It's nothing special (at least in the ones that I've adjusted) - I just clean it out with a small o-ring pick.

Gotcha, the screw is so dern small I didn't want to screw with it before asking. Thanks!
Also for the price of that spring I might just have to buy one.

I just put a drop of blue loctite on the surface and hung it upside down after I finished adjusting it. As a side note I really have no idea whats so bad about these triggers, got a pretty nice 2.5# pull now in my unqualified opinion! Then again I've never pulled an expensive trigger before either (It's leaps and bounds better than the regular PSA trigger in my AR, even with yellow jp springs & set screw ran up the grip with a grinded safety it's a pretty creepy 5# pull).

I have the first generation of X-Mark trigger that came on my Rem 5R. It does not have the adjuster screw that sticks out of the bottom by the trigger blade. I adjusted it to 2 3/4# and think it works just fine. In all likelihood I'll replace my stainless trigger with a older blued 700 model when I paint my receiver and barrel. I've been watching the classified here for one of the older models.

Last edited:
When I got my first 700 with this wonderful trigger I didnt notice any weight difference when adjusting the screw, so I took it out and installed a Jewell. And gave the X-mark away free.