• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Clip on thermal recommendation

schutzprecision

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2014
Northern Ca
Looking for recommendations for a clip on thermal. Application is a bolt gun with leupold scope and badger efr. Primarily interested in night hunting hogs and predators.

Comes down to budget. What’s your top limit?

Low options unfortunately. NV with a PVS27 or 30 is about the only options I know. I know wig just did a review on this guy which could be an option. Also a dedicated clip on was mentioned in there too so check out this thread. Not sure on mag range but sounds like maybe 8-10x.

I believe UNV is importing the iRay RICO (the “CO” in RICO is for “Clip-On”)

Reactions: Bravo6niner
Anyone have any experience with the Trijicon SNIPE IR. Looks ideal for my application other than $

Well, aside from being about double your stated budget, it works reasonably well. I was never very impressed with it and quickly dumped mine, but some people like it.

You could take a look at the Hogster-C. It is well within your budget. I have only used one to zero on a rifle and record a little video. I can't attest to the overall durability and reliability of the units. I can attest to the thermal weapon sight Hogster-R line up including the 25, 35, and Super Hogster. They are less expensive than the Clip On and due to having a QD (Bering calls it QR) release they can be used on multiple guns and be used as scanners. I would recommend the -R route, but some people really want clip ons.

I bought a lwts thinking i wanted a good clip on, and it worked awesome as a clip on, but in all honesty its much more enjoyable using it in stand alone mode on a dedicated gun, the focus ring is in easier reach, the gun is lighter and the field of view allows me to get on incoming coyotes a lot easier than looking through my riflescope in clip on mode, just some thoughts from somebody who went down the same road your going down

You can keep an eye out for a Flir T50 used which seem to go from $3500 to 5000. Not cutting edge by today standard but also not $10k. Be forewarned there were some that were sold to law enforcement I believe that were not set up to stay zeroed when zoomed (colimated) and apparently there is a version with and without reticles and IR laser.

Hello everyone! I am in the same boat as OP is. I am not trying to hijack your thread, but we are both looking for pretty much the same thing. My budget will allow for around ten grand, but it must be a monocular/clip-on. Any suggestions on what to get and who to get it from would be very much appreciated. Thanks,
Joe

You can keep an eye out for a Flir T50 used which seem to go from $3500 to 5000. Not cutting edge by today standard but also not $10k. Be forewarned there were some that were sold to law enforcement I believe that were not set up to stay zeroed when zoomed (colimated) and apparently there is a version with and without reticles and IR laser.
So when SWAT rolls in on a hostage situation, I would hate to be the hostage in close proximity. Just saying. :LOL:

Can you believe they would do that to LEO. :oops:

I ordered a Hogster-c and should have it in a week or two, might be another couple weeks before I can get to the range, but I will post my impressions and try to answer questions.

Reactions: schutzprecision
Tag, also in the market for a thermal within the same budget range. As far as what's currently available, the Hogster line looks hard to beat for the price. Been mulling it over and casually researching the past few months, go time soon