• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Close call with a Grizz

Wyfox

Gun Snob
Minuteman
  • May 24, 2012
    Wyoming
    photo72081.jpg
    Bowhunting elk this weekend and had this big boar Grizzly slip in to 10 yards... thankfully I hadn't had a shower a few days and he didnt like how I smelled and went the other way.
    https://youtu.be/6RrI-gZybVo

Last edited:
    I would have needed new pants/boxers. Glad he kept on moving along

Wonder how long it would have taken that bear to shit that Glock out?

all jokes aside, glad you both came through it with nothing but a good story.

Cool picture. I myself would had had bear spray in one hand and Glock in the other lol

Were your successful on your elk?

That was my edc Glock 19, first time in life I've felt seriously under gunned. I've rolled 6' Black Bears with a 9mm so I had a some confidence it would penetrate vitals. Just thankful it wasn't a sow with cubs, it would've been a different outcome. I normally carry spray but it was attached to my other pack in camp... I have it on video but cant post a video, figured if it went south I'd have some evidence.

we got hammered with snow above 9,000 ft and it shut the elk right up, only seen one 6pt at 60 yds but no shots. Yesterday morning coming out I had Grizz tracks in my trail going in. Then the wolves moved into the drainage I was in and that really screws up the elk!

Dang man, good to see all is well. That is what I would have on me too but geez talk about a rush.

I live 100 miles from the highest population of grizzly in the lower 48. They have started moving east to my area. This spring they trapped two young males who had been killing cows. USFW swore they were not Grizzlies, they told the farmers they couldn't be Griz. When they came out to check the traps, yup, two young Grizzlies. That was 10 miles EAST of me..... Young bears mean breeding pairs. I have a resident black bear on my mountain. We have spoken at length and decided it's better if we don't see each other. I live in the wilderness, not the woods. This is my mountain, literally, I own it. ANYTIME we leave the yard there is at least a handgun onboard. If it's going to be a hike, a rifle. That's every day all year.

Damn Wyfox, glad to hear it was a good outcome and you both were able to go your seperate ways unscathed! Yeah man, I still edc one of my G19's, and I definitely would've felt undergunned too. Keep at it though up there bud, and hope you come out with a huge bull elk! Stay safe and good hunting sir!

In the spring of '91 I found myself closer to a coastal brown that had just come out of hibernation than I ever wanted to be, we were in a boat 20 yards off the beach and only had issue M-9's. I told the boatswain to get us further out into the bay because all the 9mm's were going to do was piss it off. Yakutat AK is lovely in the spring but everything that wants to eat you is out looking for a meal.

And remember, when folks are giving you shit about the Glock in bear woods. Woman from Choteau Montana saved herself and horses from a sub adult Griz with a .22 rifle. Lady was able to put enough rounds into him to turn him and fled. Wildlife officers went back out to the scene and discovered the bear DRT (dead right there). Just another example of "It ain't what you shoot, it's how you shoot it".

Thats awesome! What was the breeze like? Seems like he was unaware until he scented you.

You think he smelled him and ran off? I would think the bear would say "dinner" and run towards the guy.

Wyfox,

Nicely done, my friend.
    And THAT right there, is the reason the legislature amended state law a few years back to allow bow hunters to pack a handgun.
    Good for you. And good move with the video to show how close he was.
    Guys who hunt Grizzly country are brave souls.
    I was in Cody Thursday and Wapiti/Pahaska Teepee on Friday morning. Snow really looked good on the Absarokas.
    I didn't see any bears, but saw bighorn sheep, and a pack-string headed up to elk hunt from a trailhead.

Wolf calling next month?

John. (Airedale56)

Lucky for me he smelled me and didn't see me standing there. Video was def for evidence! We were competing with tthe wolves too, had the elk all screwed up. Between the snow, grizz, and wolves it made elk hunting tuff! We got hammered with snow!
    IMG_20170923_140236_496.jpg

It's game on for wolves next week! I've got some located in the predator zone too, just been to busy to get after them yet.

You think he smelled him and ran off? I would think the bear would say "dinner" and run towards the guy.

Odd smell in the forest is a bad thing, and most wild animals will bugger off. Especially bears, which have the best noses.

It's game on for wolves next week! I've got some located in the predator zone too, just been to busy to get after them yet.

Thanks for the pics and the story. Good luck on the elk and the predators!

edited: Were you still hunting, or just moving to/from a stand? Just curious.

Last edited:
    Still hunting, just made it to 10,000 ft and was taking a breather and listening for bugles. The bear was following my trail, he had his head on the ground like a hound dog as you can see in the video.

I am sure you're Wiley if you're hunting at that elevation, just watch your top knot. We had another attack last week after the big snow fall here in Montana. I think the guy lost an arm in the ordeal but he lived. Walked into a thicket hoping to get a setup on an elk and caught a bear off guard.

Word in Montana is that if the state gets their act together we are getting a limited Griz season next year. It's about time and well overdue. There's already a virtual line out the door of folks looking for that tag.

I felt slightly under gunned with my Glock 20 and 16 rounds of Underwood hard-cast lead bullets hiking in Montana in June. I can imagine how you felt. Saw eight Grizzlies that week. Biggest bear I've ever seen hands-down was just over the Canadian boarder. That was a HUGE bear. I would have shit in my pants most definitely if I would have encountered him.

def step up to a 10mm. i was nose to nose with a BIG blackie (totally different animal-but was still a hairy encounter) while bird hunting and only had a 28 gauge. seconds seemed like hours....

encounters like that really illustrate how much confidence a person has. glad you both left the situation unscathed.

I'll be buying a G40 10mm in the very near future. Had this guy on my trail camera, glad I haven't ran into him yet! IMG_2809.jpg

in bear country get your self a revolver.
    if you need to use it there is no time for a bad mag or a bad primer.
    double action revolver you just keep pulling one round is bound to shoot.
    and if your spending the money on a pistol for bear protection get a 44 mag. youll actually have a chance of breaking a shoulder to slow it down.

I run a revolver as well...if it really came down bear on me I don’t want my semi auto going out of battery when I press fur. We have had our share of hunting people this year already and put a few bears down, he may hurt me real bad, but I want to put a hurt on him if possible. I run a Ruger Alaskan Toklat 454 casull pushing the the super heavy load 360 LBT’s. I also really like my friend Von Ringler’s Wyoming Holster - very versatile and comfortable.

The Brute I dealt with for a week in me Elk camp this year and hauling out a Muley for my buddy Dave Campbell, wearing my bear setup.

a plug for for both these guys - their work is worthy to consider

https://ringlercustomleather.com/

http://davecampbelloutdoors.com/

Attachments

• photo78132.jpg
      photo78132.jpg
      98.3 KB · Views: 23
    • photo78133.jpg
      photo78133.jpg
      98.2 KB · Views: 24
    Let me know when you are ready to go wolf calling.
    I'm in.
    MsNy said hi.

I have a late cow tag so i'll be doing alot of combo hunts now until middle of December, if you find yourself out this way let me know. I bought a G40 10mm, so I wont feel so under gunned with the next run in. Mrys is a good dude!

Damn that sent chills down my spine! I'd carry a large wheel gun after that encounter