• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Clothing for shooting,

mjh30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2008
Edmonds Washington
I was just wondering if anyone had any particular choice of clothing when they were shooting. Does everyone try to wear the same jacket whether of the bench, off-hand or prone, its just that I noticed that I seem to be more effective if the jacket that I am wearing is a little tighter. I was thinking of just getting a quality shooting jacket and using it all the time, but taking in weather factors that may not be practical.

Re: Clothing for shooting,

Adapt and overcome. If you shoot benchrest, wear the same thing everytime. If not, shoot with what you are wearing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All you need to wear is a shemagh, knee pads, and 511 boots </div></div>
+1

in the places i shoot, i always try to be comfortable and wear stuff to protect myself, which is always long sleeve even if its 110* in the shade.

i mostly try to always cover my face to keep off the sun and wind.

a shooting mitt is a handy thing to have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All you need to wear is a shemagh, knee pads, and 511 boots </div></div>

Don't forget khaki cargo pants and a "tactical" beard !!! LOL

Clothing is clearly optional

2el4io7.jpg

A quality shooting jacket will help is it fits and is worn properly. They have some adjustment. While they are not much use while shooting off a bench with front and rear bags, prone unsupported, off hand etc they help. add a good cuff sling and it helps more. Both take some getting used to and to learn the fine line between tight enough to get maximum support and cutting off your blood and it hurting like hell.

You need 5.11 tactical flip flops for after the match to give your feet a breath of fresh air
painted toe nails is an option

I went to the range once wearing shorts during the summer. Shooting from the kneeling and sitting positions, my elbows wanted to slide off my sweaty knees/shins. Since then, I always wear long pants. Not an issue if you're just shooting prone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All you need to wear is a shemagh, knee pads, and 511 boots </div></div>
+1</div></div>

+2

I like to have a jacket on when shooting prone, I guess elbow pads would help too but I'm not a padding kind of guy. I like physical conditioning to replicate actual 'field' conditions...no shooting support except for a sling or bipod, its hard on your knees and elbows for awhile but then you leather up and become immune to it.