• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Clumped Powder...Safe?

sawgunner2001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Gents,

I opened up a new can of H1000 yesterday to load some .243 and started pouring it into my powder measure and it was coming out slow when I realized it was in a big clump inside the can. No big deal, shake it up and pour again. Then....it stinks, but it normally does...but more than usual? I don't have another can to compare it to. Hmmmm....its a <span style="font-style: italic">little</span> more dense than my last can of powder. No problem, adjust powder thrower accordingly.

Now...hindsight. I loaded up 50 cartridges with this powder. Do I have anything to worry about, or is this normal? I've loaded probably close to 3k rifle cartridges in my young reloading life and hadn't run into this before.

Re: Clumped Powder...Safe?

Imho i wouldnt use it.Sounds suspiciously like it drew a little moisture.
Go with your gut on this one.It sounds to me like you already have doubts.Chalk the powder up as a loss dissasemble your loads and clean all your brass and start over with some new powder.
There is no reason using this stuff if there is any chance it could be dangerous........Just my.02......

I wouldn't use it. Get ahold of Hodgdon on Tuesday and tell them about it.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I was hoping to hear from seasoned reloaders that this was "semi-normal" phenomena. This has proven not the case!

I shall disassemble said ammunition and get in touch with Hodgdon tomorrow and let them know about the bad pound of powder.

Thanks Again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawgunner2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the quick replies.

I was hoping to hear from seasoned reloaders that this was "semi-normal" phenomena. This has proven not the case!

I shall disassemble said ammunition and get in touch with Hodgdon tomorrow and let them know about the bad pound of powder.

Thanks Again </div></div>

Not a problem.........better safe than sorry..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Imho i wouldnt use it.Sounds suspiciously like it drew a little moisture.
Go with your gut on this one.It sounds to me like you already have doubts.Chalk the powder up as a loss dissasemble your loads and clean all your brass and start over with some new powder.
There is no reason using this stuff if there is any chance it could be dangerous........Just my.02......</div></div>

Spot On...your instincts are gonna be quite reliable.

Talked to a Hodgdon Rep this morning. They said that the powder hadn't finished "gassing off" yet when it was bottled and as long as the clump broke completely and easily with slight container manipulation (which it did) that it was perfectly fine and G2G.

I haven't disassembled the 50 cartridges that I loaded up yet and am still undecided if I will do so. I just wanted to let y'all know what the Hodgdon Rep said.

the part always bothers me i "PROBABLY".... near mis an almost pregnant

eek.gif

It was an unopened can thats been sitting in my closet for approx 3 months. I have no idea how long it sat on the store shelf for...but in these times, I'd venture to say not long.