• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMMG 22LR conversion kit for AR15

nikdanja

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2014
Warrenton Virginia
Does anyone have any experience with these? I’m wanting to throw this on a dedicated 22LR set up and just swap lowers. I am wanting to suppress this also but want feedback before I buy.

I have a CMMG .22 LR conversion kit and it is reliable. Firing .22 LR ammunition through a .223 barrel with a 1:9 twist rate, you cannot expect great accuracy. The bore is a little large and the twist rate quite fast for .22 LR ammunition.

They can take a little fiddling with depending on the ammo you use, but once you get it dialed in they are great.

IMO they do tend to need oil on the rails to run well.

A few add on items to look at:

Those two I consider mandatory. The only step up is a dedicated .22 solid charging handle.

The rest of their add ons are decent but not mandatory unless running hyper velocity ammo.

And the correct adapter for the mags. It feels cheap and is kinda fiddly to use, but loading the mags by hand gets old fast.

Also the CMMG 10 round mags just have a pin that can be removed to make them into a 25, assuming are legal in your area.

Reactions: camocorvette
I have the Foxtrot full auto CMMG conversion kit and it works great. Semi or FA. In FA ate all the supers and some subs suppressed consistently. In SA nonissues at all.
I just ordered the buffer pressure plug and see what difference it makes.

I have a cmmg 22 upper. Not the conversion. It runs great. I just bought the barrel and bolt combo and assembled it.

the charging handle that is ‘full’ to keep brass from getting caught is a gotta have.

On my dedicated upper, I have the Bonnie packer kit that allows MP22 mags to be used. With lock back on last round.

What kind of accuracy are you guys getting out of the CMMG barrels? I'm gonna do one of these, but I don't want to do the bare bones bolt drop in and shoot out of my 223 barrel. I'll build an upper.

Looking at keystone for a barrel right now, but that's like 2x the price of he CMMG barrel/bolt kits by the time I get a bolt to go with it.

Last edited:
Haven't ran the suppressor on it, but CMMG dedicated kit on a LotharWalther barrel functions just fine with black dog mags. Did break an extractor somehow during a 3gun match and now carry spares and a few additions from BoreBuddy.

For the longest time CMMG uppers were unavailable, now they are back order. I guess that is a step in the right direction...been wanting a dedicated 22 upper, but haven't been able to get one....and sorta lost interest in it. I'm sure if I keep reading this thread, I will get the itch again.

CMMG dedicated bolt group is in this rifle, blackdog mags fit better in the plate carrier mag pouches.

Attachments

• IMG_20210123_124219723.jpg
    IMG_20210123_124219723.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I have two dedicated CMMG uppers, both with proper .22 barrels. One was a barrel/bolt kit from CMMG. I've never tested it for accuracy because it just wears a red dot. It has eaten everything I've fed it, mostly junk bulk ammo. I run it dry and it runs like a sewing machine.

The other is much more interesting. I had a local smith turn a barrel on a Shilen Ratchet blank. My intent was to run it in .22 PRS style matches. It took some fiddling to get it to run match ammo, but it seems to be running 100% with SK LR. Accuracy is about on par with my Vudoo running the same ammo.

The Buffer Plug was essential to get the match rifle to run. I also bought a bunch of other stuff from that supplier like springs and weights, but it ended up running best just stock. Lower powered match ammo would probably require a lighter spring.