• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMMG BCG Quality

HotAirBaloonInstructor

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 22, 2012
Deja Vu
I've done quite a bit of searching. The google machine, barfcom, the hide, etc. It seems you can draw conclusions on both sides of the spectrum as to the quality of the manufacturer. I hear their customer service is shit, I couldn't care less. I'm concerned with manufacturing quality. My question essentially is, who can tell me for certain that they are CMT bolt carrier groups as I've heard they could be. Also, can anyone attest to the quality? I got one for a reasonable price and am curious if I should just wait it out for a DD or BCM or if they are good to go. Using a lothar walther barrel, expecting somewhat of an accurate gun, don't want to put a shit BCG in her.

I've seriously Scoured the web. No one has any input? I know CMMG isnt LaRue or GAP thus not the favor of the board (I love my LaRue) but seriously no one has any info for me?

I don't think CMMG parts are as common as most of the other manufacturers, which is why you aren't seeing much response. I wouldn't hesitate to use one as I have never heard anyhing horrible about CMMG in general.

I don't think CMMG parts are as common as most of the other manufacturers, which is why you aren't seeing much response. I wouldn't hesitate to use one as I have never heard anyhing horrible about CMMG in general.

Cmmg/Stag are GTG

Basically, the majority of the brand names you encounter are assembly warehouses for parts made in machine shops that sell mostly to the assemblers. Nobody has the industrial capacity to make everything components-wise. Some name-brand businesses make their own barrels, or their own receivers, or one or two major assemblies, then source out the rest.

There are the following component makers, some of whom are sole source:

Barrel makers
Barrel extension makers
Barrel nut makers
Bolt Carrier and Bolt makers
Carrier key makers
Hard-chroming shops that precision electro-plate the inside of the carrier and carrier key
Cam pin makers
Firing Pin makers
Fasteners are common Grade 8
Extractor makers
Ejector pin and other small part makers
Spring makers (recoil, extractor, ejector, trigger, hammer, disconnector, mag catch, bolt catch plunger, weld spring, detent, snap ring, ejection port doors, front sights..)
Trigger, hammer, disconnector makers (usually MIM)
Pin & detent makers (milspec calls for cadmium-plated detents, most of the civvy market uses zinc-plated detents)
Selector, bolt catch, mag catch, mag release button

Aluminum forgers make the raw blanks on forge plates
Machine shops do the CNC finish work on the forgings
Anodizers do the Type III hard-coat on the receivers
Gas tube makers
Front Sight Base forgings are steel
FSB's are then CNC finish-machined somewhere else

Quality extension tubes are forged, not machined from billet, then anodized
Buttstock and pistol grip screws are made by shops that specialize in screws
Forward Assists are made by one machine shop
Sight components are another industry

Furniture is a whole separate field, where some are great with glass-filled nylon, and others aren't.

The reality is that your BCG comes from one of a very few set of sources, and many of the sub components are from one or two places. Yes, the assemblers you associate with a particular component group do have the final manufacturer point of quality control/assurance, but everything is mostly ISO-9001 now, so very seldom do parts make it out of the shops if they are out of whatever the specified dimensions and material specs are. Just keep in mind that those industry specs aren't the Mil-spec.

My CMMG BCG was not staked properly and came loose after a couple thousand rounds, causing failures to cycle. Proper staking is now something I double check on all my BCGs.

that's one of the things I have always been careful to check. I'll have to double check this one when I get it. Should It not be properly staked, can I do it myself like on the castle nut for the receiver extension(buffer tube)?

I was able to stake mine myself, but I borrowed a proper staking tool. I don't know how it is done with typical shop tools.

Nope, it's junk. I'll take it off your hands for you. ;)

I have a cmmg mkiii and its been great.

Off topic: regarding your username, you ever shoot from the basket? That would be awesome.

I just bought one at one of our local shops for the regular price.

Shoot from the basket of your hot air balloon(sp.).

Apparently:
a. his screename is not accurate.
or
b. he is not as adventurous as the rest of us.

Last edited:
Alright then, I guess I just added another "to do" on my little list of things to do before I die. :)