• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMMG MK-8

widnerkj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2010
MA.
www.ar15.com
anyone play with one yet? I have a PTR-91 so I already have a TON of magazines. I know they do a pretty good product, but was wondering if any of you have one of these.

Re: CMMG MK-8

Have one and like it. G-3 Mags are $1 per at Cheaper than dirt. I made myself stop at 50.

I helped a friend get one up an running and it was not a bad setup. Like Match308 said, you can get aluminum G3/HK91 mags for next to nothing ($1/mag or less), but the CMMG lowers that use the G3 mags are only compatible with DPMS uppers...and even then, you have to modify your DPMS upper by removing some material from the walls of the upper to allow the mags to fit properly (the G3/HK91 mags are wider at the mouth than the DPMS/Armalite mags). Also, you lose the LRBHO function that you get with other mags/systems. CMMG and outside sources are working on the LRBHO issue I believe.

Aside from those things, they are decent setups, reliable and very cost effective given the cost of the mags at 1/20 or so the cost of DPMS-pattern mags.

I have one of the lowers but need the modified uppers. Does anyone sell these already modified or are we going to need to modify our own uppers?

The modification is very easy. Just need to open the slot to accomodate the top of the mag. CMMG has a template LINK <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigged</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one of the lowers but need the modified uppers. Does anyone sell these already modified or are we going to need to modify our own uppers? </div></div>

The only thing that bothers me is that DPMS changed the height of their flat-top to some proprietary bullshit, so that rails are no longer monolithic.

Wonder if the CMMG could be done with a different upper? Maybe something based on the original DPMS style but billet, like an IRA (Iron Ridge) upper?

I also found these from Fidelis Arms:
http://fidelisarms.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=11&Itemid=10

The site is out of date, they posted on Northeast shooters board that the g3 sets are in full production.

I just order one of these. Any more helpful tips. Thank you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing that bothers me is that DPMS changed the height of their flat-top to some proprietary bullshit, so that rails are no longer monolithic.

Wonder if the CMMG could be done with a different upper? Maybe something based on the original DPMS style but billet, like an IRA (Iron Ridge) upper?

I also found these from Fidelis Arms:
http://fidelisarms.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=11&Itemid=10

The site is out of date, they posted on Northeast shooters board that the g3 sets are in full production. </div></div>

Here's the link off their Main page to Specials. Wonder if the price is still good?

http://fidelisarms.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=25&Itemid=28

I spoke to the guy I bought the lower from and he is getting some DPMS Sporticals machined this week. He will send me pics and a price when he has tested them. He also said that CMMG should have them for sale in 2-3 weeks for complete uppers from what I understood.