• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMP 40X - What am I missing ?

dvdt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
Dallas,TX
I picked up one of the latest 40X's from the CMP. After saving my pennies I finally bought some iron sights for it from the CMP. I really wanted irons as part of a "historic" build and I think it'd be great to help train for various competitions etc.

Anyhow, I purchased the Redfield Palma rear sight and I think I'm missing some kind of adapter so it can fit to my rifle. What am I missing ?

Is there something else I'm supposed to buy for this thing ? It looks like there's a small insert or something that I should have but don't ?

I'd appreciate any help. The front sight is on and ready to roll. I can't freaking wait to shoot this thing!!

Re: CMP 40X - What am I missing ?

There should be a plate adapter on the side of the receiver opposite the bolt handle that the screw in the sight goes into. The adapter will typically have 4-5 holes so that you can move the sight forwards and backwards to the preferred distance from your face.

What you need is the iron sight mounting block. It screws into 2 holes on the left side of the rcvr, near the back. They are available thru Warner Tool Co. and Champions Choice, as well as a number of other vendors.

Check with CMP, they might have some. I can't remember if they were supposed to come with the sight blocks or if that was a bonus. Both of mine came with them. Or put up a WTB ad here or on the CMP forums, there is probably someone who has a take off they aren't using.

I have one... (the side block piece) if you eventually find you need one.. I modified my 40X heavily and it won't be going back to the original configuration..

RJ

Thanks for the replies guys. I posted up and a guy at my club had an extra one. Put it on this weekend and man this thing is a shooter! I'm very happy with it.

I put 50 rounds down range at 50 yds and it grouped about 1" or so with CCI SV. Very happy.

I was shooting at a bullseye 25 yd target and the black circle was too big and I had to kinda "guess" at the center. I was shooting supported and I bet if this thing had a bipod and I had a real bag it'd shoot super tight groups.

I'm so happy I have this thing! It's definitely going to improve my shooting. The single shot part of this makes me get the proper cheek weld over and over again. Good stuff!