• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMP Garand

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
Watched a new CMP Garand shoot today. I didn't know the guy from Adam's off ox.

Guy knew all about it. Very entertaining.

I offered to show him how to load it but he already knew all about it so I stood back and just watched it.

He stuck in his thumb and pulled back a plum. Shook my head and moved farther away.

Where is Craig from Wyo? He would have loved it.

I have messed with M1 Garands for years and used them in CMP matches as well. The one and only time I got a taste of 'M1 thumb' was when I was cleaning one on my work bench one late night, when I depressed the follower with my left hand to insert a chamber cleaning insert with my right hand - and the bolt snapped forward - as it wasn't fully retracted into the receiver and was 'riding' on the rear of the follower assembly. (1st pic)

The bolt only got the very tip of my left thumb, but it hurt pretty good for at least a week. So that was a one-time mistake - never to be repeated...

It was a common injury in WWII, and apparently actors in WWII movies would sometimes get M1 thumb as well (pics from Saving Private Ryan).

Attachments

• M1_thumb1.jpg
    M1_thumb1.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 132
  • M1_thumb_Saving_Private_Ryan.jpg
    M1_thumb_Saving_Private_Ryan.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 132
  • M1_thumb2_Saving_Private_Ryan.png
    M1_thumb2_Saving_Private_Ryan.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:
99.99% of Garand thumb cases are operator error.
E.T.A.: Never had one but as painful as I imagine they are, a Browning A5 thumb is much worse.
A Garand only smashes, a Browning smashes and punctures often requiring a trip to the ER to get the wound cleaned, stitched and dressed.

Last edited:
This was just a guy out at our range and I was checking the firing line for trash etc. I don't think he was a local, just out to shoot his new rifle.
It was very obvious that it was brand new to him, getting it out of it's shipping case.
He was really amped up to have it and I just looked at it as I passed by checking the AO for trash and told him it looked good to me and that I have a few of them myself and if he needed any help I would be happy to help him.
He told me "I have read up on this rifle and I know how to operate it." He was kind of a know it all type person that can read something and know all about the subject at hand.
I took care of the trash in the buckets on the line, then it hit me, This may be entertaining.
I am sure he was thinking, "What does this dirty Old Hippie know that I don't ?"
He didn't load the clip right, but I said nothing and swept up brass.
Then came the loading of the rifle.
I was 2 benches down from him but watching everything. He was the only one on the line as we are very rural and I just wanted to see this thing go down.
He stuck the clip in and it bit the fuck out of him, there was blood. He did some cussing, I did some laughing. BTDT, one time.
He did shoot the rifle but I doubt he hit much. I left then to check the other ranges.

Looking back on it now I wish I had asked for his contact information as I think that rifle is for sale now, however , I don't need another one.I am sure he had no idea as to how many rounds I have fired downrange from an M 1. I tried but he knew it all about it from his reading and the internet. LOL

You can't fix STUPID. I wish there had been someone with me for the time I launched a bullet from my first M-!

He did give me something to laugh about and I thank him for that. I just didn't like his know it all attitude from the start, otherwise I may have been a better instructor but he did show me all of the ways of how not to do something right

Last edited:
This was just a guy out at our range and I was checking the firing line for trash etc. I don't think he was a local, just out to shoot his new rifle.
It was very obvious that it was brand new to him, getting it out of it's shipping case.
He was really amped up to have it and I just looked at it as I passed by checking the AO for trash and told him it looked good to me and that I have a few of them myself and if he needed any help I would be happy to help him.
He told me "I have read up on this rifle and I know how to operate it." He was kind of a know it all type person that can read something and know all about the subject at hand.
I took care of the trash in the buckets on the line, then it hit me, This may be entertaining.
I am sure he was thinking, "What does this dirty Old Hippie know that I don't ?"
He didn't load the clip right, but I said nothing and swept up brass.
Then came the loading of the rifle.
I was 2 benches down from him but watching everything. He was the only one on the line as we are very rural and I just wanted to see this thing go down.
He stuck the clip in and it bit the fuck out of him, there was blood. He did some cussing, I did some laughing. BTDT, one time.
He did shoot the rifle but I doubt he hit much. I left then to check the other ranges.

Looking back on it now I wish I had asked for his contact information as I think that rifle is for sale now, however , I don't need another one.I am sure he had no idea as to how many rounds I have fired downrange from an M 1. I tried but he knew it all about it from his reading and the internet. LOL

You can't fix STUPID. I wish there had been someone with me for the time I launched a bullet from my first M-!

He did give me something to laugh about and I thank him for that. I just didn't like his know it all attitude from the start, otherwise I may have been a better instructor but he did show me all of the ways of how not to do something right
LOL! The difference between ignorance, which is not knowing, but could be taught, and stupid, which is charging ahead anyway when someone hollers, "Stop, let me show you how to do that" is simply the will to listen.

You can fix IGNORANCE with a teaching moment. The only way to fix STUPID is a painful lesson. It can be fixed, though. And, as you noted worth the entertainment many times. Sometimes for me watching the fix for stoopud is too painful to watch.

• Love
Reactions: Foul Mike
99.99% of Garand thumb cases are operator error.
E.T.A.: Never had one but as painful as I imagine they are, a Browning A5 thumb is much worse.
A Garand only smashes, a Browning smashes and punctures often requiring a trip to the ER to get the wound cleaned, stitched and dressed.
I’ve shot an A-5 all my life. How does one get A-5 thumb? I’m serious. Nobody I know has had that. That said, it does slam home with some “authoritah!”

So generally intend to listen to older folks (I’m assuming FoulMike was older) especially if it’s something I may not be comfortable doing. Face it. Not too many older folks that go to range are newbies. Any time you can get “free advice” take it. Then you can discount it. That said I know some older folks that still think all “plastic guns” are unreliable POS’s.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: sandwarrior
I’ve shot an A-5 all my life. How does one get A-5 thumb? I’m serious. Nobody I know has had that. That said, it does slam home with some “authoritah!”

So generally intend to listen to older folks (I’m assuming FoulMike was older) especially if it’s something I may not be comfortable doing. Face it. Not too many older folks that go to range are newbies. Any time you can get “free advice” take it. Then you can discount it. That said I know some older folks that still think all “plastic guns” are unreliable POS’s.
There's a lot of 'older' people that still say the 5.56 has no killing ability either. Yeah, the Garand and its successor, the M14, were good. But, they were heavy. Less rounds could be carried. All you need is a round that kills. The original combination of the 1-14" twist M16 and M193 ammunition was about as deadly as it gets. And, of course you could carry a lot more rounds.

Although, I will say the 30-06 in the Garand and 7.62 in the M14 had better penetration when trying to punch through obstacles.

Had my M1A out last night changing a spring cover on the rear sight.

Always surprises me how light it is as I expect the weightiness of the Garand when I lift it.

Given all the shit strapped to ARs these days an M14 may compare favorably in the weight dept.

Thing is all that gear makes the AR that much more effective and there is no denying a .308 cartridge weighs more than a 5.56.

A lot of problems would be solved if the Fire Team was able to issue a suitable light automatic belt fed to the Automatic Rifleman.

I dont think the 30 round mag fed HK was the answer, just a ruse to get the HK into inventory so it could be delivered to everybody.

Curious about this too.. A5 thumb..?? Shot a A5 a few times, pretty hellish recoil but no hurt thumbs.

Curious about this too.. A5 thumb..?? Shot a A5 a few times, pretty hellish recoil but no hurt thumbs.
Hellish recoil? Ya think? It's been a while since I've shot a 12ga A5 though. That said...if you're duck hunting and blasting magnum loads (even 2-3/4") yeah, it's definitely not a gas operated V3 (from what I hear..no V3 in my collection).

Browning pinky would be more accurate.
Guy on a dove shoot had the head blow off a shell leaving the plastic body stuck in the chamber.
While trying to fish it out with his pinky finger he accidentally hits the bolt release button.

Browning pinky would be more accurate.
Guy on a dove shoot had the head blow off a shell leaving the plastic body stuck in the chamber.
While trying to fish it out with his pinky finger he accidentally hits the bolt release button.

Ouch! :eek:

I don't know. I got the urge to order a CMP Garand 308 Special about a year ago.

SWMBO said no and wouldn't budge. In our house that's usually an infallible indication that I'm chasing my own tail. So I started looking for alternatives.

Some foreign stuff looked sorta maybe, but what I was really looking for was a replacement for that M1a I had to sell back in the twenty-zeros. Everything was just too much money.

Then the light bulb lit and I started considering AR-10-ish rifles.

I latched onto a PSA 20" Gen 2 Upper and a PSA Gen 3 Lower. Long story short, I gave it a few tweaks to suit my style of ergonimics and have some capacity to shoot off bags, and lo, it's THE ONE. It loves IMI 7.62x51 NATO stuff, and I'm near done developing handloads, too.

I think it's one of the better parts of two worlds.

Greg

A5s have lots of recoil? Also didn’t know about a5 thumb so I guess I’m doing something right

A5s have lots of recoil? Also didn’t know about a5 thumb so I guess I’m doing something right
Yeah, well 12guages anyway, they'll beat ya black and blue in an afternoon with low brass on a good dove shoot. A lot quicker with HB or magnums shooting ducks or buckshot for deer. And Heaven forbid having to shoot more than one Federal Premuim turkey shell from an awkward position.....
Not only are they hard on the shoulder but if you dont have a good grip on the wrist they'll beat your bird finger against the TG.

Last edited: