• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMP Kimber .22LR Anyone have one?

Silverbullet2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2009
Near Seattle, Wa.
I will be shopping for a .22LR to start my daughter shooting with. That is the excuse I will be using, and I stand by it! I want to get some micro peep sights for it, and be able to use a sling, as well as throw a scope on it for fun.
I would love a Win 52, or a Rem 40x, but man, I work for a living!
Just wondering if anyone in the community has got their hands on one, and their thoughts. Thanks guys, JPG

Re: CMP Kimber .22LR Anyone have one?

I have owned 4 of the CMP Kimbers. One NIB and the others were the $150 used ones they had a while back. For your intended purpose, they will be fine. I felt accuracy was not as good as some other offerings and the actions were not as smooth as the 52 or 40X they offered. I can't remember now, but it seems the boxed up guns came with peep sights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned 4 of the CMP Kimbers. One NIB and the others were the <span style="font-weight: bold">$150</span> used ones they had a while back. For your intended purpose, they will be fine. I felt accuracy was not as good as some other offerings and the actions were not as smooth as the 52 or 40X they offered. I can't remember now, but it seems the boxed up guns came with peep sights. </div></div>

150? Do you mean 450?

Keith

The Kimber is fine for your purpose, especially if you pick one up with the CMP sights included.

Last one I bought was $350 at a gun show 2 years ago.

I prefer the 40X, but the Kimbers are inexpensive and serve the basic purpose of introduction to shooting with a minimum budget.

HTH

CMP sold some parts Kimbers for 150 several years ago. They were not suposed to be complete but many were. The best deal going is the 400 dollar rusty's. I bought several not to long ago. Of the 10 I looked at the South store only two had any rust to speak of and only one of the two was on the barrel the other was on the bolt. Send a note with your order and tell them it's for your child to learn to shoot with and to pick out a nice one. I bet you get a truely great rifle. Donald

I have a CMP Kimber. It does come with the peep sights. It is easily 10lbs and my 10 year old has trouble shooting offhand.
It is great prone and I put a bipod and scope on it. It is on the left and the CMP Annie is on the right.
IMG00034.jpg

When he gets to be 13 or older I expect he will be able to hold it steady offhand. Until then I have a Crickett for him to use for the bolt action and a ruger 10/22 for a semi auto.
I am sure your daughter will do fine with the Kimber off the bench or prone, it is a great rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CMP sold some parts Kimbers for 150 several years ago. They were not suposed to be complete..........</div></div>
Yep! Those were the ones I bought. I did have one of the $600 ones. I was not impressed.

I bought one of the used ones offered by the CMP for $150 and they were complete but minus the sights. Some guys got them missing some of the pieces for adjusting the length of pull on the stock. I was one of the lucky ones that got all the lop pieces. Later they offered the sights.....$75 for the rear and $15 for the front, as I recall. The new rusty ones for $400 seem like a good deal. I haven't shot mine much as I have been playing with the Remington 40X rifles for now.

I too bought one of the $150 rifles..it's a great shooter. They didnt come with sights but the 11mm grooved recvr takes leupold rings and a nice scope they make great informal BR guns. No matter what you get..remember..they are Kimber of Oregon rifles..worth having one of those in the safe by any definition.

I just purchased on of the new Kimber rifles and it is beautiful. I was able to check out the rustly ones and noticed too much uncertanty in the bore. The rifle was to be used while waiting for a 40X. About a week after my purchase the 40X rilfes were offered and the Kimber remains new and boxed. Last week at the Camp Perry store the Rusty's were all gone. I was told that the remaining ones that Anniston had were being sold mail order as they were a little rough. I love my 40X and it was worth the wait. The intel on the 40X rifles is that these were the final run and there are no more out there fro the CMP to sell. There are supposedly some Winchester 52's, however, these will go to the highest bidder on the CMP auctions.
Semper Fi

Hey Bear,
If you get a chance will you post a range report on that Kimber. If they are anything like the other Kimbers i know they are solid rifles and I just might need another .22.
best regards and thanks
dgwelsh

I removed the Kimber from the box last night and did a complete cleaning and inventory. I then assembled the rifle complete with the included iron sights. To save ammo and range time I eyeball boresighted it and took it to the range this morning. I started out on the sort indoor and found the rifle to be very well balanced and the action to be smooth. I was Using Federal Gold Medal match ammo and was shooting one holers onthe indoor 50 yard range. Once the sun came up I took it for a spin on the 100 yard and was shooing dimes in the prone and nickels in the offhand with my kneeling somewhere in between. The rifle was properly broken in during my indoor time. The kimber actually out shoots my 40X. Then again my 40x is a surplus used rifle with who knows who broke it in or not at all and the Kimber is a new out of the box match rifle. I may go and buy another one to hold on to as I have heard that CMP is running low on the Kimbers and don't expect them to be in stock much longer.
Semper Fi,

The rifles are a little heavy for young shooters. The barrels need to be broken in to shoot well. They seem to like the RWS ammo. They can shoot well. My 14 year old nephew shot a 100 yard small bore prone clean with one. (I can no longer blame the rifle....)

The only drawback is the lack of parts is something wears or breaks.

I had one of the $150 Kimbers and have recomended these rifles on this forum before. It would have taken effort@100yd to tell the accuracy difference between the kimber and my 40X;s. I would try a "rusted " 82G immediatly. Be aware we are talking about 10+lb. A "new" 82G is a good buy at $600 but there is no spare parts or aftermarket for these rifles, Your only other choice I see is a 40x from the auction sites, they appear to be going for about $800

Does anyone know if they make a sporter/varmint stock for the 82G Kimber, cut the barrel and you would have a great squirrel rifle.