• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMP M1 Advanced Maintenance Course-Build your own "Expert Grade".

Halfnutz

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 14, 2008
    Peoria County, Illinois
    I recently was able to attend the CMP M1 AMC (Advanced Maintenance Course) in Anniston Alabama, I thought some of you may would like to hear about the experience.

In my understanding this course has not been held for about 4 years. CMP held a lottery for a class seat. I was initially on a waiting list, but was selected a couple weeks prior to the 1st class for 2024. This course is facilitated by the CMP Custom Shop. There were 40 seats for the course, all were full, and they claimed the rest of the classes are already filled for 2024. There aren't any CMP affiliated clubs in my general area so joining the Garand Collectors Association got me the bona fides I believe my DD214 might have worked as well. https://thegca.org/

All the parts used were refinished, new, NOS, reproduction, or original and in excellent condition. As we went through each part we were schooled on what to look for and why. Production changes and methods of manufacture were noted in the specific parts, possibly with some reasoning that drove the change, be it cost, speed or remedy for failures. The completed rifles are "Expert" grade. The cost of the rifle is $1150, which is what you can by them directly from CMP. The course fee was $1200. Total $2350. I joked that I built the same thing that CMP sells, and they charged me $1200 to do it for them.
    Food and lodging not included. Coffee and donuts , water and Coke were supplied.

Day 1 started with receiver selection. We were fortunate in that the cadre had cherry picked the receivers and bolts. All receivers were Springfield Armory, while the bolts were of mixed manufacture. The serial number range was varied. Some where lead dipped annealed on the tail of the receiver.
    I selected a 6 digit receiver, which an internet search dates as made in 1942. We took time to lap the bolt lugs and receivers, followed with the installation of new short chambered Criterion barrels. We used rods on the front sight base and one through the rear sight ears to visually align the sighting plane. Final step of the day was to finish ream the chambers by hand using a reamer with a bushing on the rear that made controlling the depth easy. Headspace was verified on each.

A break in the day allowed a tour of the warehouse and CMP Custom Shop. No photos were allowed. We did see crates of various rifles to include incoming and out going Garands, 1917 Enfields, 1903's, and they even still have some Krags to be processed through. The Custom Shop is pretty modestly equipped, but the cadre seem very knowledgeable and enjoy what they do. A gorgeous tiger striped 1903 stock was being fitted for a customer build. Various other projects were in process. The 1911 space was in a separate area, and strictly off limits.

The second day started at the CMP Store in Anniston. The selection was varied in makes models, and conditions. A shit load of money was spent by the course attendees. A rack grade 1903 followed me home along with my yearly allotment of 400rds of surplus Lake City 30.06.
    Day 2 continued with the feed mechanism, trigger assembly, and sight installation. For each assembly, we were shown a method or trick if you will to make it all go together easily. When it came to the op rod everyone had the chance to rifle through a box and try different ones utilizing a "tilt test" until one slid smoothly open and shut. Several needed just a touch to get them moving. I must have tried half a dozen before getting one that slid freely.
    Final installation was into a new Minelli Walnut stock.

The third day was at the CMP Talladega Shooting Complex. If you've never been, its worth the trip. Like shooting on a golf course.
    After a safety briefing you were issued a "Safety Card" good for 1 year.
    Each rifle was test fired and sighted in at 100 yards by the staff to test function. Of note, they bottom out the rear sight and come up 10 clicks to start with. Every rifle was on "paper". Each firing line utilizes Kongsberg electronic target system. If a rifle had an issues it was dealt with and corrected with the help of the Custom Shop staff. Only a few had issues, I think all were handled on the line through a part swap or a tweak here or there.
    We were given 16 more rounds and a pass for the remainder of the day. After proving you could put 3 consecutive rounds in 1.5" your card was punched to show you could go to the 200,300 and 600 yard range. Another stop at the on sight store for more ammo was in order. Creedmoor match ammo was available in 50rd boxes made up of Lapua brass, loaded with 167gr Scenars and tailored for the M1. Cost was about $100/box. The brass alone retails over $1.50 so I don't see them making much money off this. Firing at 200 and printing in the black allowed you to proceed to 300 and then 600.
    Although pleased with my 300 yard performance, these 52y/o eyes don't work so great with irons at 600, but they were all on the target so I'll not complain too much. We did not have the option to install NM sights not that it would have made a huge difference for me.

A nice blow molded CMP case to ship or take the Garand home was provided, along with a rifle certificate, manual, and a copy of "The US .30 Caliber Gas Operated Service Rifles: A Shop Manual, Volumes I&II", oh, and one En bloc clip.
    20240228_184150.jpg

Last edited:
    Pics

Attachments

• 20240229_074902.jpg
      20240229_074902.jpg
      427.1 KB · Views: 38
    • 1942.jpg
      1942.jpg
      949.4 KB · Views: 44
    • 20240227_152208.jpg
      20240227_152208.jpg
      525.2 KB · Views: 36
    • 20240227_170913.jpg
      20240227_170913.jpg
      534.4 KB · Views: 37
    • 20240228_134528.jpg
      20240228_134528.jpg
      718.6 KB · Views: 39
    • 20240228_133820.jpg
      20240228_133820.jpg
      557.8 KB · Views: 39
    • 20240229_112224.jpg
      20240229_112224.jpg
      468.1 KB · Views: 39
    • 20240229_114253.jpg
      20240229_114253.jpg
      435.3 KB · Views: 43
    • 20240229_111331.jpg
      20240229_111331.jpg
      506.6 KB · Views: 44
    I would really enjoy doing that. Kick myself for never getting to CMP south when I was living in South Alabama.

Really enjoyed the detailed writeup and pictures. I had entertained the idea of putting in for the lottery but hesitated as I didn't know what 2024 would bring with work and my availability. Alabama's quite the drive from here but maybe in 2025 I can swing it.

I'm still trying to figure out what's causing my en bloc ejection & feed issues. I put on a new Orion7 oprod spring and have a few other clips to try along with different ammo but haven't had a free day that the weather's cooperated so far this year to see if that solved my issue. Itching to get the old warhorse out at the range again. Thanks for sharing your experience.

-LD

Reactions: Halfnutz
    Sounds like a timing issue with the ejection. There is a block available that goes into the magazine. The bolt should not release until the block is fully inserted. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007333150?pid=399172
    If the en bloc won't eject, we literally had to peen the bullet guide, Smack it with a hammer on the sides to lengthen the tab (circled in the attached photo). Work it out slowly, it may only take a few thousandths of an inch to make the correction.

Prior to that, remove the reciever from the stock and remove the recoil spring. Try tilting the barreled receiver 30 to 45 degrees back and forth and see if the op rod moves freely with gravity. There was no adjustment taught, we switched op rods until they moved without assistance.
    Screenshot_20240307_222403_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions- I'll keep those in mind. It's mainly the ejection of the empty En Bloc clip itself that was giving me fits where it'd eject weakly and get stuck before clearing the magazine before the bolt catches it causing it to stick up like a cooked pop-tart and robbing me of that beautiful 'ping' sound. The ejector clip spring seems strong to my untrained eye so that was leading me to the path of the unblock clips themselves, ammo or the oprod spring. But like I said, I haven't had a chance to test the oprod spring theory.

Appreciate the tips nevertheless but I don't want to derail your thread. Thanks again.

-LD

Thanks for the suggestions- I'll keep those in mind. It's mainly the ejection of the empty En Bloc clip itself that was giving me fits where it'd eject weakly and get stuck before clearing the magazine before the bolt catches it causing it to stick up like a cooked pop-tart and robbing me of that beautiful 'ping' sound. The ejector clip spring seems strong to my untrained eye so that was leading me to the path of the unblock clips themselves, ammo or the oprod spring. But like I said, I haven't had a chance to test the oprod spring theory.

Appreciate the tips nevertheless but I don't want to derail your thread. Thanks again.

-LD
    Don't think you de railed at all. Good luck with it. I'd like to hear how it works out.

Reactions: LuckyDuck
    If the en bloc won't eject, we literally had to peen the bullet guide, Smack it with a hammer on the sides to lengthen the tab (circled in the attached photo). Work it out slowly, it may only take a few thousandths of an inch to make the correction.
    There is a long but obscure history about the bullet guide - but the bottom line is that fulcrum stud/point (shown as the polished surface) must measure at least 0.175" in height. Once it goes below that, rifle won't work correctly. Goods news is that it's a $15 or $20 part. I would hope the CMP class would teach folks to measure that distance, as it needs to be 0.175" to 0.179" tall...as noted back in a 1942 report. (Image from GCA magazine, Winter 2007)

Bullet_guide_fulcrum_data.png

Last edited:
    On another note and maybe should be in reloading. I checked with Creedmoor about their 30.06 loaded for CMP. I know it's Lapua brass and a 167gr Scenar. Powder is "Proprietary". Box claims 2720fps. Seems pretty fast compared to my manuals.