• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMP3006N "CMP Match" Ammo - Any Intel On This Stuff ?

GS455

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2013
Nashville
Sorry, There isn't a general Ammo section on the forum so I figured this might be a place to run into some intel. Yea, I'll reload on day (and this will make for good brass) but wondering id anyone might know anything about this stuff.

Apparently branded and offered by CMP in the early 2000s before the HXP days. Anyone have an feedback about how it shot? Not much I can find online about it other than some folks claim it was Federal "seconds" and not actually Match ammo at all. Some folks not impressed, other pleased. I plan to use it mainly in my 03A3.

30-06 CMP Federal White Box 1.jpeg

30-06 CMP Fedral White Box 2.jpeg

I don’t have any details on this ammo. But since it is labeled Garand it has to have powder in it that would not harm the oprod so that makes it good. I am betting it is better than the hxp stuff. hXP cases were crap for reloading. I only shot it at cmp matches where it was issued. I know my hand loads would have done much better. Winchester makes pretty good brass so this would be a good deal unless they want an arm or leg.

David

Reactions: simonp
If you are going to reload some day, might I redirect you to the Creedmoor Sports 30-06 offering at the CMP e-store? Lapua brass and bullets, ~$2.00 per cartridge ($195/100). Yeah, it’s a little spendy, but not far off what I see hunting loads going for in the big box stores. And, Lapua brass is regarded as the best in the business as far as brass is concerned. It shoots as well as my eyes and the iron sights on my Garand allow…

In addition to FGMM and other know quantities, CMP sources various other grades of "Match" (a/k/a "practice") ammo for beginners and high volume shooters. These are typically people on a budget, and looking for formats supported by CMP eg .45, 30-06, 22LR, etc in addition to current .mil 308 Win and .223 Rem. and 9mm etc. The creedmoor sports stuff is middle of the road in this regards.

I ended up getting two cases of this stuff for the same price as the latest 1969 M2 Ball offering. It is beyond difficult to transact business via the CMP estore nowadays, no one takes calls, returns vmails or responds to email (for weeks) and good grief, the CMP Forums is an absolute train wreck since the update they did last year. Basically broken and if it did work it's so out of standard and difficult to sub-navigate. Such a shame. I really enjoyed all the traffic and learned so much over there, over the years. Other than the Market Place it seems virtually dead these days.

I used some of that ammo back when it was floating around... it was only used in rack grade rigs (Garand) that belonged to the club and only at 200 yards.

As I recall, it was no better or worse than HXP. I had more LC and HXP brass, so I traded it for HXP and didn't keep any of it.

Unless you have a match prepped rifle, I wouldn't agonize over it. An A303 is less picky than a Garand, so it should do okay within 200 yards.

If you want to keep inside the X ring, you are going to have to prep the stock tension, as well as tune the ammo. Off the shelf, you have to accept some shots that may go into the 9 ring.

Reactions: simonp