• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing CNC Milling

KFinnell81

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2010
Rome, GA.
Okay, so I have decided that I want to begin making my own AR's from scratch. I was wondering if anyone knew of what CNC milling/lathing machine is the best. I want it to do everything. I want to take a block of aluminum and enter the data and have a AR upper/ lower finished product. Fortunately I am financially capable of acquiring any amount of machines needed to do this. From what I gather there are machines that are totally automated and can achieve whatever the user wants. What companies make these? Any help is appreciated, and no this is not a joke. Thanks!

Re: CNC Milling

I'm not trying to be an asshole when I say this, but:

If you don't know what machines you need to make a rifle receiver then spending 6 figures (easily) buying things and learning on the job is not the right way to go about this.

C. Dixon on here would be my go to guy for matters such as these. Although, bohem is right, if you have no experience doing it, or nobody to run the machines for you, this isn't the way to go about it.

Not to mention the licensing you'll need to do this type of work.

Edit: I am NOT an engineer or machinist in any way/shape/form, but a multi-axis CNC machine would probably be in line with what you are wanting to do. Do a search on Youtube if you want to see some amazing vids about those machines.

Kelly

lol, not quite that simple. If money's no object, then first off go and buy SolidWorks 2011 and learn how to use it. Do a course or a lot of research on the net about how to use a mill. It's no just a case of clamping a block of ally and pushing the start button.

Its not just the cnc's you need, you need a complete shop with all of the support machines and tooling. Its not as simple as telling the cnc what you want and picking up your part out of the chip conveyor like it is a printer. How are you going to cut the material to put into the machine?

If you want something you can get complete parts off of in one operation dont ask about prices, they will be 800k before you get tools to actually cut anything. And im still not sure you can get 100% complete in one push of the go button.

If money is no object you would be better off buying a complete shop thats already set up and doing it, keep their employees around and the current owner until you could venture out on your own.

Its a steep learning curve and one ooops that took 1/2 of a second can cost you 30k

This has got to be Captain Kick Ass stirring up the pot. No way this is serious. If it is, your a year and a half late, AR-15 Sales are in the dunp and they are practicly being given away now.

Do you have any machining experience? or tool and fixture design experience? What about programing and metalurgy,etc. If the answer is no then take heat seekins advise and purchase an already established buisness. Just because you have the financial means to buy the equipment does not magicly make you a machinist. If i went out and bought an airplane does that make me a pilot?

There's some good advise in this thread. All I can really add is...

+1

Not to be a buzz kill, but by the time you get a license to build and manufacture from the ATF you'll have had time to take some basic machine shop classes at the local community college. I bought a lathe and mill about 10 years ago to do gunsmithing work, mostly pistols. Just basic stuff like threading barrels, crowns, fitting slides, cutting in sights, etc. I am self taught from books and trial and error. That being said it took me about 4 years to just do the basic stuff, but then maybe I'm not that bright.

K,

My name is Chad Dixon. I've been programming CNC's and machining parts for close to 15 years now. The last ten have been devoted soley to the firearms industry.

There's nothing earth shattering or particularly challenging about manufacturing an AR upper/lower receiver.

Building actions from bar stock will require a bit more work than making them from a forged blank. Its also going to elevate your costs due to increased cycle times and the material costs. It's one thing to whizz out parts from cast bar stock and call it "billet". It's quite another to begin with certified forged stock and machine every feature.

Just something to consider.

As mentioned by Mr. Gardner the AR wave seems to have crested and is now on the downward spiral. The political climate change a couple years ago in conjunction with the Bush law coming up for review is what lead to this artificial spike in sales.

This may be worth considering before investing well into the six figures for the equipment, software, infrastucture, tooling, and knowledge that will be required to successfully accomplish what your suggesting.

I temper this by stating that if your indeed enjoying this level of financial independence you didn't reach it by being foolish with money. Just be aware that many millionaires have dived into the gun business to end up moderately rich.

If you'd like to discuss it more, feel free to contact me at your leisure.

C

Chad Dixon
Gunmaker
LongRifles, Inc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KFactor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, so I have decided that I want to begin making my own AR's from scratch. I was wondering if anyone knew of what CNC milling/lathing machine is the best. I want it to do everything. I want to take a block of aluminum and enter the data and have a AR upper/ lower finished product. Fortunately I am financially capable of acquiring any amount of machines needed to do this. From what I gather there are machines that are totally automated and can achieve whatever the user wants. What companies make these? Any help is appreciated, and no this is not a joke. Thanks! </div></div>

like already mentioned, the ar market is over saturated now. you would need to come up with something really unique for people to buy it. that is going to be pretty tough to do these days. putting together a machine shop with the intentions of making money in the ar market is probably not a wise idea.

judging by your questions, i am guessing you have zero machining experience. there is a steep learning curve involved with programming cnc machines. it is not going to happen over night. buying a cnc machine will not simply allow you to toss a billet of 7075 in and spit out a complete receiver. cad/cam programming is going to be necessary as well as some knowledge of different tooling and the proper feeds and speeds. to make any money, you will need to be able to design and build multi-part fixtures to keep the machine idle time to a minimum.

Don't let these guys scare you off.

Here is the low down on cnc machining.

Good starter machines are available from mori seiki, mazak, or mitsububishi. Might want to look at some of the german machines too. I hear the krauts know a thing or two about machine tools.

Tooling and fixturing isn't that big of a deal, ts drills and a good set of eabco endmills will get you rolling. Don't worry about carbide or kubs,kentips, or other high speed tooling. The tool company's are just trying to get more money out of ya. The slower you drill/bore a hole, the better finish you'll get. That's what people want, pretty parts. How can you expect to get a good finish when you r tool is moving 500 sfm?!

People like to talk a lot about fixtures and workholding, in reality most shops over think these things. They build elaborate expensive fixtures and they can only use them for one part. I prefer a vise set up, quick and easy. Throw some parellels in there ( bar stock works fine too ) put your part in the vise and clamp her down. Sometimes you have to use a cheater bar to get it sucked down nice and tight . Wilton is my brand of choice, but kurt or parlec will do in a pinch.

As far as engineering and programming goes there ain't much to it. Just get yourself a handy damn cmm or renshaw probe and tear your bushmaster down to barebones and copy their design. See you're halfway there to making chips!

Now 'member what those numbers were that you took off the bushmasterand draw up your part in whatever CAM program you like. I prefer to do mine in MS paint but some machines don't like that program so you have to use gibbs or mazatrol or mastercam or whatever.. they're all the same some just cost more than the others. There might be some little differences, but nothing that really sets one apart from the others.

Now that you've got your part programmed and in the machine, tools are loaded, offsets and workshift is in you're ready for the big show....

Green for go and go get yourself a nap in while your new machine does the turnen' and burnen'! Don't worry about having to watch it work, you wrote the program and cam programs never need to be single stepped, offsets are always right, tools don't wear, and speeds and feeds never need to be revised.

Happy machining

Good <span style="font-style: italic">starter machines</span> are available from mori seiki, mazak, or mitsububishi.

Thats funny!
smile.gif

Yes they do make some good entry level machines...

Kinda like the same companies that make the corvette/gt*40*/viper also make the the malibu/taurus/ neon. Just fine for letting your kid to learn to drive, but not the same one you want to take to work.

I guess I need to look at the product brochures then. The one's I've always seen were the higher end units and I just assumed that's all they made.

No worries.
smile.gif
Just wish I could afford one, two, three, four, . . . .

I'm "stuck" with a dinosaur 4x Haas VF1 for now.

Kenny is that you???

You need to look into some machine classes at Berry and then take a couple of days to come visit me and Lisa and I will show you how to chamber a barrel and thread it.
That would be a good start.
Did you give up on horses?
Tell Paul I said hello if you see him.
DAve

I just get to program them at work, alot of the machines we have are dinosaurs but we're getting some of the nexus hmc's in and I'm looking forward to learning more mazatrol. Sounds like we'll be doing offline g and m programming still but we do a lot of onesie twosie piece parts that are going to get done at the machine.

Should be fun...program it like you stole it lol

"there is a steep learning curve involved with programming cnc machines. it is not going to happen over night. " I have 40-50lbs of Alum.i turned into scrape learning a manual mach.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BPaige</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't let these guys scare you off.

Good starter machines are available from mori seiki, mazak, or mitsububishi. Might want to look at some of the german machines too. I hear the krauts know a thing or two about machine tools.

Tooling and fixturing isn't that big of a deal, ts drills and a good set of eabco endmills will get you rolling. Don't worry about carbide or kubs,kentips, or other high speed tooling. The tool company's are just trying to get more money out of ya. The slower you drill/bore a hole, the better finish you'll get. That's what people want, pretty parts. How can you expect to get a good finish when you r tool is moving 500 sfm?!

People like to talk a lot about fixtures and workholding, in reality most shops over think these things. They build elaborate expensive fixtures and they can only use them for one part. I prefer a vise set up, quick and easy. Throw some parellels in there ( bar stock works fine too ) put your part in the vise and clamp her down. Sometimes you have to use a cheater bar to get it sucked down nice and tight . Wilton is my brand of choice, but kurt or parlec will do in a pinch.

As far as engineering and programming goes there ain't much to it. Just get yourself a handy damn cmm or renshaw probe and tear your bushmaster down to barebones and copy their design. See you're halfway there to making chips!

Now 'member what those numbers were that you took off the bushmasterand draw up your part in whatever CAM program you like. I prefer to do mine in MS paint but some machines don't like that program so you have to use gibbs or mazatrol or mastercam or whatever.. they're all the same some just cost more than the others. There might be some little differences, but nothing that really sets one apart from the others.

Now that you've got your part programmed and in the machine, tools are loaded, offsets and workshift is in you're ready for the big show....

Green for go and go get yourself a nap in while your new machine does the turnen' and burnen'! Don't worry about having to watch it work, you wrote the program and cam programs never need to be single stepped, offsets are always right, tools don't wear, and speeds and feeds never need to be revised.

Happy machining </div></div> Please tell me your kidding. You are kidding , right?

In my opinion, If you can afford to buy a top machine, hire yourself a very good cnc machinist for a year who can set the machine up, get it running and then teach you how to use it while it's making you money. The wages for the machinist would be covered by whatever he is producing and you learn for no extra cost.

Maybe buy yourself a Tormach 4 axis mill as an extra and spend your time on that learning and producing some smaller stuff while the big machine is running. I bought one not long ago and last Sunday, the first time I used it, it made $1000 worth of parts. That's almost 10% the cost of the machine so it's not something that's going to take a long time to pay for itself.

Cheers,
Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BPaige</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes I am kidding. </div></div> Good. I thought maybe the Dykem fumes were getting to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BPaige</div><div class="ubbcode-body">draw up your part in whatever CAM program you like. <span style="color: #FF0000">I prefer to do mine in MS paint</span></div></div>

yes!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BPaige</div><div class="ubbcode-body">draw up your part in whatever CAM program you like. <span style="color: #FF0000">I prefer to do mine in MS paint</span></div></div>

yes!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
</div></div> I prefer Pro-E Etch-a-sketch.

I would prefer the pro etch-a-scetch but I must have an older model. Mine doesn't even have an rs hookup, let alone a flash drive.

For now ms paint will have to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BPaige</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't let these guys scare you off.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Green for go and go get yourself a nap in while your new machine does the turnen' and burnen'! Don't worry about having to watch it work, you wrote the program and cam programs never need to be single stepped, offsets are always right, tools don't wear, and speeds and feeds never need to be revised.</span>

Happy machining </div></div>

Haha, i wanna live in this fantasy world you live in!

Hi my name is bill and I have been running CNC mills for 22years I have run some of the best that's out there. Making Jet engines for Honeywell . I know what Iam about to recommend is no were near the best but they are perfect for what you want to do.
HAAS is what i would go with yes it is a cheaper machine but it has a user friendly control and when you buy a new one they offer classes and maintenance

here is what I run at work

EC-500_lg.jpg