• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing CNY Feral Hogs

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2001
AZ
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Friday, June 27, 2008 at 5:20 p.m.

In the hills, forests, swamps and farmland of Central New York, a new menace has found a home. They go by a number of names: feral pigs, wild hogs and boars. DEC Region 7 Wildlife Director Marie Kautz is becoming very concerned. "Now we have populations that are self re-producing, very, very prolific and can triple their population in a year."

Feral pigs are considered an invasive species. Imported into North America 400 years ago, they're well established in the south. But lately their populations have exploded.

And now, they're in Central New York. Small populations of feral pigs have been found in Tompkins, Cortland, Cayuga and Onondaga Counties.

The problem with feral hogs is they have a habit of wallowing and rutting up the land. In other parts of the country they cause up to 100-million dollars in crop damage each year. Plus they can be dangerous to people. So the DEC doesn't want to control their populations in New York, it wants to get rid of them entirely.

Kautz tells Action News, "We've got an opportunity now where we can do eradication and probably do it successfully. If we pass up this opportunity, we'll never have the chance again. We'll be in an endless control mode like in the Southern and Western States."

The DEC will begin trapping and removing feral pigs from Central New York. Hunters are allowed to shoot them on sight, anytime and in any number. Experts advise against that because those that survive will only scatter and establish themselves everywhere. </div></div>

Animal Planet aired the Hog Bomb piece last night, so I did some research this morning. Well; Central New Yorkers, we are on the menu, it seems. The problem would appear to be in its early stages, where heavy hunter pressure might help avert, or at least delay, the population explosion which has overrun the more Southerly States and turned feral hogs into the scourge from Hell that just won't die. NYSDEC region 7 director says to shoot them on sight, and I can't think of a more definite piece of advice on the subject.

I figure I now have a new use for my 20ga semi and stockpile of slugs.

Let's do this. Let's do it NOW!

Greg

Re: CNY Feral Hogs

I saw that piece aired a few weeks ago.
Kinda crazy how fast they reproduce.
I hope you fellas upstate get to shoot on site, and that some stupid ass politician doesn't get in the way an ruin whatever chance you guys of keeping a lid on this thing.
Hell, I'll come up weekends and hunt the bastards whenever I can as long as the locals don't have a problem with it!
Good luck Greg.

I'm going to do some quiet recon in the farming portions of our community, which constitute the large majority of our neighboring real estate. They have the most to lose, and a big portion of them are Mennonites, who are both clear headed and practical. I already have relationship with some of them based on Deer and 'Chuck hunting, and this might meet with some appeal from them.

I'm thinking that the kind of 'field day' mentality, like was depicted in <span style="font-style: italic">Jaws</span>, is precisiely the thing I'd like to avoid. I'd just like to raise a little awareness in the affected quarters, assess views and intentions, research effective means and methods, and maybe see if a little organization might be called for.

Greg

Watched that last night. started out OK but by about 1/2 way through I had to throw the B.S. flag. Of course the pigs are going to show a lot of the same genetic markers as the Eurasian pigs, the Spaniards brought pigs with them what 600 years ago, and they were eventualy bred for specific resessive genes when they were domesticated.

this one is prolly not quite a year old....maybe 80lbs....toddacguy and boltripper wacked him and others on the run last weekend.....
MVC-007S-9.jpg

Yes; but in Kommiefornia, they'd probably develop a program to round 'em all up and neuter them, then release them back into the wild.

I live about 40 miles east of San Francisco and we have a pretty serious pig problem here. I'm not talking about the women from Berkeley, either...feral pigs really like this area, especially rooting around for grubs on the golf courses and then taking off back into the abutting hills. In my community the hogs literally rototill everything in sight. And, of course, no one can touch the pigs. Up until a few years back the local communities would allow bowhunters onto the golf courses at night to hunt down the pigs, figuring that the risk of injury to the people living around the course was minimal. It was a good program, but as soon as one pig made it onto someone lawn and died with an arrow stuck in it, the neighbors screamed bloody murder and now the pigs have only the local mt lions to fear.

I havent seen any yet. I have heard of a few north of Watertown. A guy at work said they shot one in naples. If anyone knows where they are I would be glad to take care of it.

Naples is a half hour from me. I used to guide the wine cellar tours at Widmer.

Ough ya I dont know anything more than that though. My father in laws place is right by there Kings Gardens Vinyards.

Here in Commifornia we are thick with them bastards. Shoot as many of them as you can as quick as you can, if you think a cockroach is hard to get rid of, they have nothing on pigs, good luck to you, but its going to be an uphill battle.
Ubet

Hello,
Has anyone heard anything new about this? No one I know has seen anything.

Regards,
Rick

This is the hog they referred to in Fayette County, GA. on Pig Bomb. I took this pic when my neighbor called me. The other neighbor (who owns the horses) chased it down the driveway throwing rocks at it. She was pissed because she thought it was scaring the horses. The thought of Becky chasing this joker down the driveway throwing rocks at it cracks me up.

I called animal control and told him the sitcho. I told him if it acted aggressively I was going to shoot it. He said "I can't advise you to do that but you have the right to protect your family and property". He said it was one of 4 that get out and the owner has been cited before.

While the SOB was huge I think the reports and all of the hoopla was blown WAY out of proportion. It was shot about 1.5 miles from here. It has been a running joke that I "shoulda took the shot" and been famous. HaHa-freakin'-HA. Whatever......

Keith

LooseHog.jpg

I haven't seen any in/around Prattsburgh.

I will admit to not knowing how Texas hunts go. I obviously have the wrong impression.
I was invited to go shoot hogs in Texas. They invited me, I DID NOT ask them if I could come shoot.
I showed up with my self-contained camper trailer so I would not be imposings on anyone other than the ground my trailer covered.
I bought a licence and was ready to go, using none of the "Host's" resorces.
The next day as I was packing my ruck a Dude showed up on a 4-wheeler to collect my "trespassing fee." He told me it costs to hunt in Texas and he needed $250 to let me go and if I wanted a "guided" hunt it would be more.
I didn't go and told him something to the affect that I had been invited, all of this to no advail. He told me, If you hunt in Texas, You Pay.
Needless to say those Texans will not be cutting my wheat next year, and they are the people that own the ground I was on.
FU TEX, I am not coming down there with my own lodging, etc. and PAY YOU to help on a hog problem.
What is with it that Texans want you to pay to help them?
I stopped in Kansas, bought a license and was shown all kinds of places to shoot a hog. I did good.
Didn't have to pay anyone to hunt on their land. Welcome on the farm land to park anywhere I wanted.
TEX, keep your hogs, I want nothing to do with it. Regards, FM

People like you are why I could only live in Colorado 9 months before I moved back to Texas.

So you admit to not knowing how things go, and then bitch about being a victim? Did you go to school in Boulder?

Super Bee, The mods got what I had to say to you. So be it. It was not nice.
I was invited to go to Tex. by my custom cutters that I pay over $35,000 to cut my wheat.
They invited me. I did not ask to go.
I did not go to school in Boulder, I spent my time after High School in Sunny Southeast Asia.
I invite people to hunt on my land and would not even consider asking them to pay for that.
I am glad you are no longer here and if there are others like you I would be glad to pay for the fuel to get them out of here. Regards, FM

Have Thermal scoped rifle and will travel.I've been scouting around and have friends/family all over that state seeing plenty of coyotes,bigfoot and other critters,but no pigs.Where are they ?
STEVE

Here's a good one I got on the trail cam the other day. This is only about 800 yards from a housing development near a major interstate. He's been nocturnal so far, it that continues, it will be time to get the dogs. I'm guessing close to 400 lbs.

SUNP0059.jpg

SUNP0060.jpg

Here are some other ones we killed with the hounds. Only good wild hog is a dead one, they can devestate some habitat.

Estill2.jpg