• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

COAL for 6.5 Creedmoor ~2.856 too long?

Graye2

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2018
Milton, GA
Finally getting around to reloading for 6.5 Creedmoor. I used the Hornady bullet comparator (5-26) to find the distance to my lands in a Desert Tech SRS. Subtracting 0.010 I’m coming up with 2.210 when measured with the comparator.

I know COAL will vary but I’m coming up with anywhere from 2.8545 to 2.8580 which is longer than any other 6.5 Creedmoor loads I have seen on here. The magazine is 2.900 so I’m fine there but does anyone else load them that long? Given I’ve never measured the throat on that barrel I’d appreciate others feedback.

Thank you - Eric

Jump’em 0.040”, maybe a little more.

You didn’t mention bullet used, ogive profile has huge influence on OAL.

2.855 +/- is not unreasonable OAL.

What are you going to do when the next box of bullets is different and puts you .010” in the lands at that die setting? Rework the load?

A better way to do it is to start .040” off and that way you’ll have room for lot to lot variance.