• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

COAL in surgeon scalpel 308?

clinto

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Lubbock, TX
Guys, I just bought a scalpel from surgeon and have started doing some loading for it. Using a hornady oal guage, i measured the COAL to be about 2.78 with the 155 scenars. Anyone familiar with the scalpel 308s, is it normal to be chambered this short?

Re: COAL in surgeon scalpel 308?

I have had a Scalpel in .308 for a couple of years. I use the Sinclair seating depth gauge. I measured the lands at 2.854 with Lapua brass and 155 Scenar. I am using an ogive of 2.210 for loading. The OAL is 2.851, since that was the max feed length.

i was hoping to have a similar coal, I really dont like seating the bullets that deep into the case and compressing the loads.

Its fine, just shoot the shit out of it, as the throat grows from shooting you'll be able to chase the lands.

I would suggest checking the COAL with another method. I had a Hornady OAL gauge and never found it to be very accurate. There are threads on here about other ways to determine COAL. Your number just seems very short. The COAL I posted was when the rifle was new, not after 2 years of use.