• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coal rolling asshole gets rolled by state Popo

Although 'rolling coal' is legal in most states, I foretell "Excessive diesel exgaust" to become a new law on the federal books under the Clean Air Act to target diesel owners, driving them out of the combustable engine market.

My stock 7.3 sometimes rolls coal inadvertantly when I put my foot in it to pass a slower vehicle, to get up a steep grade or when I'm going around spandex wearing bicyclists that block a back road like they're riding in the Tour de France.

I don't have some special tune for it, it's just what diesels do.

IMG_9183.gif

That ain't rolling coal. Thats making a pass in a diesel older than 2009. He got pulled over for speeding. There was no reason for him to roll coal. No bikers or climate change activists in the right lane.

Go take the dogs for a walk.

Older, tuned diesels will do that all the time.

Hell, my dad's old 1979 Bertram 38 with a pair of Cummins VT-555s would easily roll coal if you hit the throttles hard from a stop.

Yeah, that looked like "Ok, I'm tired of 10 under. Let's get around this guy. Aw, fuck."

Same thing happened to me several years ago. I was driving home from Lubbock and had been stuck behind several 18 wheelers doing no better than 10 under on some windy and hilly 2 lane highways. I finally got a break to pass in a 4 lane stretch coming out of some town and as I crested the hill, I could already see that I was getting a ticket. I wasn't "rolling coal." I was in my wife's sedan. But, I was apparently doing 80 in a 55, trying to get ahead of the rolling roadblock before the road went back to 2 lanes.

Yeah, that looked like "Ok, I'm tired of 10 under. Let's get around this guy. Aw, fuck."

Same thing happened to me several years ago. I was driving home from Lubbock and had been stuck behind several 18 wheelers doing no better than 10 under on some windy and hilly 2 lane highways. I finally got a break to pass in a 4 lane stretch coming out of some town and as I crested the hill, I could already see that I was getting a ticket. I wasn't "rolling coal." I was in my wife's sedan. But, I was apparently doing 80 in a 55, trying to get ahead of the rolling roadblock before the road went back to 2 lanes.
Happened to me out in thae same area late at night. Two cars blew past me at about 95 so I speeded up...right into a speed trap. Aske the cop why he pulled me and not them..."They must have had raadr dectectors." says the popo. Damn, where I moved from theyre illegal.

You haven't lived until you joined a Prius Forum.

No, you haven’t lived until you dumped a spit cup on a Prius with a “coexist” bumper sticker.

I also do not like guys who roll coal. And why does a brand new diesel that is not modified not do that? That means that these pricks are doing it on purpose to be a pain to society.

He who soweth discord in his own house shall inherit the wind.

I also do not like guys who roll coal. And why does a brand new diesel that is not modified not do that? That means that these pricks are doing it on purpose to be a pain to society.

Anything 2008 and newer can't roll coal unless it's deleted and tuned or has a bad dpf. With a bad dpf, smoke is minimal.

Injection tech has improved to where modern diesels burn the fuel mo better. Much much better control over the spray timing and volume.

Old mechanical pumps are not that accurate and especially if you run big injectors its impossible to get them to run right and not smoke when spooling the turbo. Once you are at full boost it should clean up, if it doesn't, your tune is off or you are running it rich to cool the cylinder because you are making a fuck ton of power. Or you're just a dick and like your truck to smoke alot.

There are exceptions... but basically this.

Last edited:
Had something similar happen to me two weeks back. Dude in front of me pulling an overloaded unsecured 16’ trailer, full of what appeared to be construction scraps, was going 10 under the limit and shit was flying/falling out of the trailer. I applied ample amount of petal to an aggressively tuned 6.7 Cummins, puffed a breath of smoke, and shot past…straight into the waiting arms of the state’s finest. He was kind enough not to write a citation, stating he didn’t want to tarnish my clean record. Even gave a “Nice truck!” as he walked back to his cruiser.😂

Also beginning to think maggot drives a Prius.
I test drove one years ago, just as a whim (was looking at and test drove a GR86/scion/subbie hot rod too)

the dealer told me the biggest compliant he gets from buyers is that they all seem to get speeding tickets,

Prius handled like shit on an off ramp (compared to a GTI or Cooper S) but they are very quiet, (road noise wise) while not really fast off the line, they will fly down the highway,

Might do you some good to learn why a diesel “rolls coal” in the first place. Maybe do you some good to learn how your vehicle works while your at it

I test drove one years ago, just as a whim (was looking at and test drove a GR86/scion/subbie hot rod too)

the dealer told me the biggest compliant he gets from buyers is that they all seem to get speeding tickets,

Prius handled like shit on an off ramp (compared to a GTI or Cooper S) but they are very quiet, (road noise wise) while not really fast off the line, they will fly down the highway,
Man don’t out yourself in the Bear Pit like that. 🤣😂👍🏼

The EPA wouldn't have developed such a hard-on against diesels if it weren't for millions of Karens noticing the continuous flow of black smoke out of tailpipes. A little black puff is normal on the initial stab of the pedal until the turbo lights off and delivers enough air to combine with the fuel. Continuous black smoke is just wasted fuel and elevated EGTs. If the diesel performance industry would have strived for no more than a gray haze under full power, you likely would not seen a heavy handed reaction from the EPA.

If that is considered rolling coal, that's the most milquetoast version of it I've ever seen. Normally they look like a huge black smokescreen. That said, I'm not a diesel engine expert, but won't forcing that much fuel into the engine ruin it forever? Also, imagine if a diesel engine not only rolls coal but also runs away at the same time. :eek:

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
If that is considered rolling coal, that's the most milquetoast version of it I've ever seen. Normally they look like a huge black smokescreen. That said, I'm not a diesel engine expert, but won't forcing that much fuel into the engine ruin it forever? Also, imagine if a diesel engine not only rolls coal but also runs away at the same time. :eek:
No, running it that fuel rich won't mess it up. Doesn't hurt it in the least. There are conditions that can wreck a diesel, but just tuning it such that it will make a boatload of black smoke, won't damage it at all.

Branden

Reactions: roostercogburn98
The EPA wouldn't have developed such a hard-on against diesels if it weren't for millions of Karens noticing the continuous flow of black smoke out of tailpipes. A little black puff is normal on the initial stab of the pedal until the turbo lights off and delivers enough air to combine with the fuel. Continuous black smoke is just wasted fuel and elevated EGTs. If the diesel performance industry would have strived for no more than a gray haze under full power, you likely would not seen a heavy handed reaction from the EPA.

I don't blame the Karens. People have brought a lot of this on by getting smoke tunes and acting like fucking idiots. We call them diesel dummies around here, they buy a clapped out diesel and throw on a tune and think they are hot shit.

Also, imagine if a diesel engine not only rolls coal but also runs away at the same time.
“Running away” is actually called dieseling. It happens when the cylinders get so hot, they continue to ignite fuel with no artificial spark.

Happens in most modern dragsters as well. They are going so hot, by the last bit of the race the spark plugs are burnt out, and the cylinder is so hot, it keeps igniting on the compression stroke. Only way to shut it off is to stop the fuel supply

Reactions: Maggot
LOL.....you should see how a 2017 Ram roll's coal when the air intake colapses and cuts off air flow. It looked like a late 1800's steam locomotive. It was bad before I could get stopped and figure out the issue.
That smoke could be normal for an older diesel and higher altitude. I run a lot of pre def older motors. My bigger truck has a CAT 3406B. It churns black all the time while going through gears and getting up to speed. I just bought a 1977 Ford L9000 with a Cummins Small Cam 855. It makes smoke. My farm tractor has a Big Cam 855. It smokes to much, but it is very dependable and affordable.

Not all tunes are for rolling coal idiots. A lot of people are seeking reliability and fuel economy. Nothing more stupid than trying to feed cattle everyday in the winter and the stupid DEF system craps out. Nearest dealer is two hours away, two weeks out on appointment and parts are on back order. I know, stupid me......I should buy an electric feed pickup

Last edited:

1695063385668.png

Or keep your cool, hit the recirc button. Sudden, dramatic moves on the road: not my cup of tea.
tenor.gif

“Running away” is actually called dieseling. It happens when the cylinders get so hot, they continue to ignite fuel with no artificial spark.

Happens in most modern dragsters as well. They are going so hot, by the last bit of the race the spark plugs are burnt out, and the cylinder is so hot, it keeps igniting on the compression stroke. Only way to shut it off is to stop the fuel supply

Dieseling also happens in spring-piston airguns. Also, I'm pretty sure when a diesel engine runs away it's not that the cylinder is too hot, but rather there's an oil leak somewhere and that's getting into the cylinder or something is wrong with the fuel shutoff. Gotta remember, a diesel engine doesn't have spark plugs and can't just ground the spark out to stop the engine like a gas engine.

I know kids that smoke more than that.

Don't we have enough government police karen sheeple intervention in our lives to not applaud more of the same?

I’ve always considered those with obnoxiously loud or dirty exhausts as “cruising for cock”, because it only turns the heads and impresses other gear head dudes. No chick see it and says “that’s the man I want”.

Low-pro is the way to go.

Personally, I feel they are nothing more than internet trolls who turned it into a real life thing. You know, like the Alt-Right used to be. Hell, we got a guy out here who has a train horn on his truck and loves to drive it around at night and randomly honking that thing. You know he hasn't gotten any pussy.

• Haha
And to think Ben Franklin thought it would take something as rich as safety to get people to trade in their liberty…

As a side note, those Prius forum links are pure gold. They have a little discussion about when to switch the recirculate button on. 😂

Looks like @308pirate beat me to it! That’s the exact post I went back to screenshot.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
And to think Ben Franklin thought it would take something as rich as safety to get people to trade in their liberty…

As a side note, those Prius forum links are pure gold. They have a little discussion about when to switch the recirculate button on. 😂

Looks like @308pirate beat me to it! That’s the exact post I went back to screenshot.

Tell me this isn't the mothefucker that comes to mind when you hear Prius driver..........

1695066966184.png

I almost got a ticket when I was pulled over. He asked why I was driving so fast.

I replied, "Well, officer, last week, my wife ran off with a cop."

"Oh?" he replied.

"Yes," I said. "I thought you were him and bringing her back."

Snickered and told me to slow down.

Here in my state the cops love to pop you for "exhibition of speed". And that even can includes trying to pass a slow ass car on the highway.

• Sad

Diesels don't spark. They're compression ignition.
Runaways happen when the fuel or oil gets in when it's not supposed to. I've seen bad turbo seals leak into the intake bad enough they ran on their own oil until it ran out and rods took a trip outside.

Diesels don't spark. They're compression ignition.
Runaways happen when the fuel or oil gets in when it's not supposed to. I've seen bad turbo seals leak into the intake bad enough they ran on their own oil until it ran out and rods took a trip outside.

He's accurately referring to a phenomenon that can occur in spark-ignition engines. If carbon deposits or even the exhaust valves soak up enough heat, they can ignite an air-fuel mixture. On an older carbureted vehicle where the ignition switch is still accurately named, this can result in "after-run". I remember it well from the 70s shitboxes that my buddies and I drove in high school.

He's accurately referring to a phenomenon that can occur in spark-ignition engines. If carbon deposits or even the exhaust valves soak up enough heat, they can ignite an air-fuel mixture. On an older carbureted vehicle where the ignition switch is still accurately named, this can result in "after-run". I remember it well from the 70s shitboxes that my buddies and I drove in high school.

Wouldn't that be called pre-ignition?

Wouldn't that be called pre-ignition?

Nope - similar root cause (too much heat retained in the combustion chamber), but pre-ignition occurs when the engine is supposed to be running (typical under some amount of load).

Reactions: jakelly
For the record:

Dieseling- when a spark ignition engine continues to fire after spark is killed.

Run away- when the fuel supply cannot be controlled in a compression ignition engine.

Reactions: E. Bryant