• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors coastal 308 suppressor

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
i have seen these first hand, out side of weight what else dont you like about these suppressors ?

they do come apart where almost every other 308 can is sealed, personally i was thinking of getting a yhm qd but the price of the coastal just has my attention

Re: coastal 308 suppressor

You don't need to take apart a rifle suppressor, IMHO. I prefer having a welded suppressor for strength. YMMV. Rifle suppressors will fill up with carbon fouling eventually but it takes a LOT of rounds downrange to do that to the point that performance is degraded.

i feel the same way, but i was in a discussion last night with a guy that feels the coastal is the way to go

and he brought up good points

Points like what? With which other suppressors does the guy have first-hand experience? The reason I ask that question is because in the suppressor world more than any other firearm accessory I see a LOT of people just recommend what they bought. You see it time and again when guys on forums ask for a product recommendation and you get 20 guys saying, "Buy XXX brand! I love mine." Yet they all fail to say WHY they like the product or WHY they think it is the best solution for their application. I also see a lot of people parroting what they hear other people say without having the actual first-hand experience.

There are a lot of average or "okay, for the money" suppressor products. I personally prefer to "buy once, cry once - but don't overbuy" on my personal suppressors. A suppressor purchase is a life-time purchase since resale value is abysmal. Buy the best product you can afford that meets your needs. If the Coastal suits you, go for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i feel the same way, but i was in a discussion last night with a guy that feels the coastal is the way to go

and he brought up good points </div></div>

Then you just answered your own question. Go buy what you want to. Don't come on here asking us to tell you what we think, then dispute good information. On a bolt gun I say go sealed or go home. You do not need to take a bolt guns suppressor apart. Worse thing you will have to do is soak it to get the carbon to break loose. And that's after thousands of rounds.

Like KYshooter said...if you already feel that there is no need to take a rifle suppressor apart, then you've answered your own question.

Just to give you one more opinion in case you aren't confident that you are right...most high quality rifle suppressors are virtually maintenance free anyway. There is just no need to have a centerfire rifle suppressor that has the ability to be torn apart and "maintained" by the end user unless you can be swayed too easily by "Mr. Marketing" telling you that you need the ability to take your suppressor apart. It isn't like a .22lr can where fouling can get damn bad in a hurry. Centerfire rifle suppressors are MUCH cleaner and less prone to heavy fouling. If carbon fouling or any build-up of crap in your suppressor occurs (after a LOT of shooting...I mean several thousand rounds more likely than not), soak it, flush it and be done with it. You can use solvents (depending on the mfg recommendations), but hell, hot soapy water works great to remove powder, etc., then flush with more hot water or denatured alcohol to remove any remaining crud in the can. No need for unscrewing anything, removing baffles, etc. Soak it, flush it, drain/dry it, and keep shooting.

I am curious about this as well- if the price is right and it has the ability to be able to be taken apart to boot, what is the downside in that case?

I am very ignorant on this topic, so I am not looking to add anything, just curious based on observations.

Coastal won't even say if the .308 can will withstand a .300 WinMag. They say maybe. Not too professional IMO.

You are going to own the can the rest of your life. I would buy a good one. Gemtech and AWC have been great for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BookHound</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Points like what? With which other suppressors does the guy have first-hand experience? The reason I ask that question is because in the suppressor world more than any other firearm accessory I see a LOT of people just recommend what they bought. You see it time and again when guys on forums ask for a product recommendation and you get 20 guys saying, "Buy XXX brand! I love mine." Yet they all fail to say WHY they like the product or WHY they think it is the best solution for their application. I also see a lot of people parroting what they hear other people say without having the actual first-hand experience.

There are a lot of average or "okay, for the money" suppressor products. I personally prefer to "buy once, cry once - but don't overbuy" on my personal suppressors. A suppressor purchase is a life-time purchase since resale value is abysmal. Buy the best product you can afford that meets your needs. If the Coastal suits you, go for it.

</div></div>
I agree with you about people saying " oh this is good" and ya thats great from what i have read"

also i have bough vary few things in my life that have actually been worth every penny, and I also feel buy once cry once. how ever again just interested in what every one else though about this suppressor in general, personally i would like a aac cyclops but in all reality I think the YHM will do every thing i want from a 308 can at a really good price in a qd form, now granted i know qd isnt really qd after a few rounds, but i cannot get past taking my muzzle brake on and off every time i want to run the suppressor, i do agree with low light and every one that says thread mounted cants produce less poi shift, am i a true sniper ? no not even close so i think for me a qd can is going to be just fine for my application.

also agree that with in a life time a 308 can will not get near as dirty as a 22 lr can but the taking apart thing just seems interesting.

thanks for the advice and heads up though

Well to fall inline with the question I like my screw on for the fact that it feels more to the gun than my QD, works on many platforms with just me getting it threaded, Iv had a BS with my QD (might have been my bad 50/50 I think) and Lowlite like it. That being said QD is more tactical timmy so it might be your fav. As for the can get the most expensive fing thing out than when people ask why you like yours you can give them all the reasons. Just my 2cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
how ever again just interested in what every one else though about this suppressor in general, personally i would like a aac cyclops but in all reality I think the YHM will do every thing i want from a 308 can at a really good price in a qd form, now granted i know qd isnt really qd after a few rounds, but i cannot get past taking my muzzle brake on and off every time i want to run the suppressor, i do agree with low light and every one that says thread mounted cants produce less poi shift, am i a true sniper ? no not even close so i think for me a qd can is going to be just fine for my application.

</div></div>

Some QD suppressors have very good track records for minimizing POI shift. Most SureFire suppressors will exhibit minimal POI shift. But I think they owe a lot of their design to the really great Ops Inc design, which isn't really "fast-attach" not is it a true thread mount. The Ops Inc stuff is a bit of a hybrid in that respect. Ops Inc products stay rock solid on the weapon when mounted correctly. You could say SureFire "heavily borrowed" from the Ops design. The point is the Ops products are something else you should consider as really great performers but they often require some barrel profiling. Then again, the SureFire and AAC "over the barrel" designs may also require similar barrel contouring.

The AAC Cyclone is a wonderful thread-mount product. The 762-SD is also a good performer. The current 51-tooth mount of the AAC product is something I wish my 762-SD had. My experience with the latest 762-SDs is that they do get a lot tighter on the mount and typically have minimal POI shift. My dual-spring 18-tooth design is okay though.

The SWR Omega 30 is another strong contended for the thread-mount solution.

I try not to "bad mouth" other products. It isn't professional. However, I will tell you that I have some hands-on personal experience with the Coastal products and simply don't consider them a top performer or the type of product I would buy for myself. I've spoken to the Coastal sales representatives one more than one occasion and was less than impressed with their knowledge of their own products, metallurgy, typical sound meter equipment & standard testing practices. Their products are simply not "top tier" and to David's point I can't afford to buy something that saves me a few bucks now only to find I am not happy in the long run.

Buy once, cry once.

oh i agree 100% i just though i would get peoples opinions on a take down 308 suppressor vs sealed, i am sure the coastal is better then no suppressor at all how ever for just 200 more dollars i am sure one would turn a better investment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh i agree 100% i just though i would get peoples opinions on a take down 308 suppressor vs sealed, i am sure the coastal is better then no suppressor at all how ever for just 200 more dollars i am sure one would turn a better investment </div></div>

You've answered your own thoughts twice now. The takedown is not a good idea for a bolt gun. Moving on.....

Ahhhh well guess your out of luck till HK makes a tactical bolt gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ahhhh well guess your out of luck till HK makes a tactical bolt gun. </div></div>

Actually, they did:

HK BASR

wink.gif

If you can find one, black_ump, buy it!!! They are worth a small fortune!

I have a coastal and a YHM, I'll just sum it up my saying coastals are junk, now my YHM i have fired 1000's of ammo from it 300 whisper/308 super and subsonic to 300 win mag shoots great, just my .02, but remember you get what you pay for

I pulled my coastal 10/22 silencer a part one time and the baffles are filler washers, the spacers are PVC pipe, yes i said PVC pipe right down to the purple writing on the PVC.