• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coated 115 dtac's

Dski48

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2019
Oshkosh, NE
I accidentally ordered 200 rounds of the 115 coated dtacs. From my understanding these and possibly all coated bullets will give you less velocity with the same powder charge as a naked bullet. My confusion is why shoot a coated bullet? If it takes more powder to get the same velocities wouldn't any benefit on the bore from the coating be negated by the extra powder being burned? Or am I way off on my understanding of coated bullets

The theory goes that the pressure is reduced so that adding a little more powder to get your velocity back you still have less pressure. Less pressure means longer barrel life. Also the coating applies itself to the barrel so the barrel tends to foul less.

All that may be true but i never found moly to give me any advantage. Also because very few bullets are coated and DTAC are different than moly i just stick with naked because i can then shoot more different kinds of bullets

David

I've also heard that moly can do weird things to a bore if you shoot them alot. And after so long you have to stick with moly bullets. Is there truth in that or is it a tall tales?

I never let the moly build up. Every time i was through with a shooting session i basically cleaned down to bare metal so i can’t help you there

I never let the moly build up. Every time i was through with a shooting session i basically cleaned down to bare metal so i can’t help you there
I bet that screwed with your first few shots every trip to the range lol. Unless your rifle didn't mind having a spotless bore

I bet that screwed with your first few shots every trip to the range lol. Unless your rifle didn't mind having a spotless bore

Not everyone goes by copper fouling. A lot of very good shooters clean very often.

I use Moly exclusively and have never had an issue with too much build up in my barrel. I clean about every 250 rounds down the barrel by using a Slip 2000 and Butch's with a couple of Kroil patches and never clean to bare metal. Like stated above the moly and the Boron Nitride coatings are providing less friction from the bullets jacket on the barrel. This means that you will loose velocity compared to a non coated bullet at a given the same powder charge so to compensate for the bullets reduced friction i normally add .2 grains to make up the difference.
Most of the loads that I settled on in my rifles would be HOT loads in a non molyed bullet (.308 w/178 ELDM @2780 from a 20" barrel) and the first shot after cleaning is always an inch low to the right (4oclock) but then it settles and shoots bug holes.
I have been using this combination for a long time and have become accustom to the added steps of coating the bullets but to me the trade off of being able to go longer between cleanings,No copper build up, lower pressure and higher velocity's, longer barrel life (Subjective).
Now with all of this being said I am going to be trying the Boron Nitride as it has some advantages over the moly but that is a future project.

Reactions: DIBBS
I tested moly coated bullets quite extensively several years ago for F Class. My findings were that there was a velocity decrease as well.

I find that to be a telling point to the defectiveness of moly as it is sold as a lubricant. If it is actually a lubricant, then velocity should increase, not decrease.

But there are those regurgitators out there who will repeat verbatim the advertising rhetoric as though it is fact.

I found no benefit whatsoever to moly coated bullets and discontinued their use, but I still have about 600 moly coated AMaxs that I'm looking for an excuse to get out of the gene pool in the ammo cabinet. They've been sitting there for 10 years. Just cant bring myself to bother with them.

Moly is also hydroscopic, so having it in your bore can be expected to draw in moisture and whatever fun comes with that. So oil your barrels well if you use moly.

Sorry. I'm still learning about this stuff. I didn't intend any disrespect.

Didnt mean anything mean by it. There are many different regimines people use. I personally prefer the copper fouling method. There are different purposes for each one. Different climates may effect the decision. Many things come into play with it.

I tested moly coated bullets quite extensively several years ago for F Class. My findings were that there was a velocity decrease as well.

I find that to be a telling point to the defectiveness of moly as it is sold as a lubricant. If it is actually a lubricant, then velocity should increase, not decrease.

But there are those regurgitators out there who will repeat verbatim the advertising rhetoric as though it is fact.

I found no benefit whatsoever to moly coated bullets and discontinued their use, but I still have about 600 moly coated AMaxs that I'm looking for an excuse to get out of the gene pool in the ammo cabinet. They've been sitting there for 10 years. Just cant bring myself to bother with them.

Moly is also hydroscopic, so having it in your bore can be expected to draw in moisture and whatever fun comes with that. So oil your barrels well if you use moly.
A slower friction bullet builds pressure where as a slick bullet moves less hampered with less pressure!