• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coating Bullets

brianf

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2010
NY
Does anyone coat bullets with HBM/TBN/HEX etc?

do you coat the bore?

do you coat the bullet?

i have read so many different opinions on how, why, yes, no, but most are contradicting

what seems to be a common theme:

because its more slippery you need to up the charge to regain lost speed

unlike old original "moly" there dosnt seem to be a barrel build up issue

there is no change to BC other than a BC change that may come from higher velocity

cold bore shot is closer to "groups"

any info is appreciated

brian

I remember reading up on this a while back. The new coating types are used by David Tubb in his across the course shooting. One of the big benefits is supposed to be a reduction in throat erosion with coated barrels, great for the overbore cartridges. Haven’t heard of it used in large bore ELR shooting, but I’m sure people have tried it. On paper it sounds like it would be really useful, but I think few people do it due to the added expense.

Does anyone coat bullets with HBM/TBN/HEX etc?

do you coat the bore?

do you coat the bullet?

i have read so many different opinions on how, why, yes, no, but most are contradicting

what seems to be a common theme:

because its more slippery you need to up the charge to regain lost speed

unlike old original "moly" there dosnt seem to be a barrel build up issue

there is no change to BC other than a BC change that may come from higher velocity

cold bore shot is closer to "groups"

any info is appreciated

brian
Used to coat bullets with HBN and coating the bore after cleaning was standard on my .284win tactical rig . While it works as advertised i decided against the use of coatings in the future as it just another variable you are adding to the system and simply not worth it. That variable is particularly noticeable once the barrel is past its prime and cleaning and coating the barrel becomes more off an issue.

If you need more umph go for a caliber with more umph instead of chasing the redlines and beyond.

Used to coat bullets with HBN and coating the bore after cleaning was standard on my .284win tactical rig . While it works as advertised i decided against the use of coatings in the future as it just another variable you are adding to the system and simply not worth it. That variable is particularly noticeable once the barrel is past its prime and cleaning and coating the barrel becomes more off an issue.

that’s what it seems like, it just keeps pulling me back in because of the perceived benefits....there has to be something “to it”.