• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cock on Close Vs Cock On Open

I'm not interested in further discussions about the dead horse topic of how to store your bolt action rifle. I do appreciate the responses to the actual topic of the thread. I do think it is pretty ironic you saying I'm the one looking for dialogue when you literally just responded to a post addressed to someone else.
Note the banners next to @MarinePMI s name.

Ban cat handler. (for further clarification on that search this forum for Ban Cat.)
Staff member.

He can post in response to anybody. He is a moderator. Listen to what he has to say. He was made a moderator for a reason. He's been here for 10 years with 6548 posts. He is respected here. Antagonize him at your own risk.

Show of hands for everyone who believes in misrepresenting what someone else is saying in order to try to make their point while simultaneously continuing to beat a dead horse.

Like I've said before I take 5 seconds a year to rotate the back of my bolt 90 degrees and relieve the tension on my firing pin spring. It's a HOWA 1500 bolt, you don't need any tools to do it and saying it takes 5 seconds is no doubt an exaggeration. I never claimed it would cause a gun to malfunction and I've literally spent more time explaining this minor point to people on this forum than I would have spent doing this in my entire lifetime.

I really wonder why people care so much about this and seem to be sitting at home seething at the thought of someone daring to remove tension on their firing pin spring when storing it their rifle for long periods of time. I really don't care if you do it or not. I couldn't possibly care less.

It isn't the point of the thread. It was merely an explanation of what prompted my actual question but apparently it was such a controversial topic that it took over the entire thread and I have dozens of grown men writing angry posts about it. The internet is hilarious.

You're the one making up completely pointless arguments over the need to do a specific procedure to supposedly prevent an imaginary problem and then make up a bunch of other nonsense that has nothing to do with your original post. Maybe you should try to stay on point. If you want to relieve tension on your spring do as you please. But there are others here who've owned rifles for decades without doing what you're doing and they don't have any problems with their guns functioning properly. Your original question was prompted by ignorance and when people with experience tried to explain to you why your process is unnecessary you started an essay of irrelevant postings that has nothing to do with your query.

If you take the springs out every time you put the guns away, and you average 5 seconds per year on that pointless task, you’re simply not shooting enough. To which I’ll say, post less. Shoot more. Kthnxbai

Reactions: MarinePMI
Having to take your bolt out to put the gun in the safe? How small is your safe or how big of fuking Bolt handle do you have?

Show of hands. Who's ever had a rifle fail to operate properly because they didn't take the time to make sure it was properly relieved of spring tension during storage.....

Thought so.
Me. Browning bar an old gentleman at camp had for decades. Left it cocked every year between deer seasons, one year it wouldn’t set the primers off. New firing pin spring and the next week it was off to the races again

Most bolt action rifles are cock on open but there are a few, particularly older rifles, that are cock on close. That got me wondering something. With my rifle (which is cock on open), I can't insert the bolt when the firing pin isn't cocked. For storage, I decock the firing pin manually to avoid wearing out the firing pin spring and noticed that if I forget to recock it I can't reinsert the bolt. It's a good thing it doesn't let you because when the firing pin spring isn't cocked the firing pin head protrudes from the bolt body.

I am mainly wondering if anyone knows the mechanism by which cock on close style bolt actions avoid having a protruding firing pin when the firing pin isn't cocked. I've read some information comparing the two systems but I didn't turn up any information about this particular subject and was just curious about it. I'm assuming they can't have a protruding firing pin.
Most bolt action rifles are cock on open but there are a few, particularly older rifles, that are cock on close. That got me wondering something. With my rifle (which is cock on open), I can't insert the bolt when the firing pin isn't cocked. For storage, I decock the firing pin manually to avoid wearing out the firing pin spring and noticed that if I forget to recock it I can't reinsert the bolt. It's a good thing it doesn't let you because when the firing pin spring isn't cocked the firing pin head protrudes from the bolt body.

I am mainly wondering if anyone knows the mechanism by which cock on close style bolt actions avoid having a protruding firing pin when the firing pin isn't cocked. I've read some information comparing the two systems but I didn't turn up any information about this particular subject and was just curious about it. I'm assuming they can't have a protruding firing pin.

Cock on close rifles keep the firing pin away from the primer by cocking the firing pin as the bolt closes. In order to lower the firing pin you would pull the trigger, thus firing the weapon. The only other way (as my memory of the Springfield 1903 …) if you pull the trigger as you close the bolt, the sear will not engage and the firing pin would protrude, cam action of the bolt would impress the firing pin into the primer - done fast enough it probably could detonate the primer since that rifle does not have a floating firing pin. In any case it requires the operator to do something that people in the early 1900's considered stupid enough not to mention. Modern cock on close bolt rifles probably have floating firing pins to protect agains that particular brand of stupid.

Decocking your bolt to save themainspring is a total fallacy. Multiple studies have shown the act of exercising a steel spring is what weakens the spring. Holding the spring under tension or compression does not work (as in work harden) the metal. Its just a static condition. Making the metal move is what weakens it.