• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cocking piece digging a ditch on the cocking ramp

-paradox-

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2013
Any ideas how to fix this? I polished but it just came right back.

BCC7003B-7804-4C3C-ABCF-5689CE4E1F1B-262-00000043681FDA61_zps016166d8.jpg

I'd polish the cocking piece too and make sure it has a rounded contact area. I think it's probably harder than the bolt body. I use crower camshaft assembly lube on that surface and it seems to help with that problem. I think you want something with zinc and phosphorous if possible (google ZDDP). Or just don't worry about it. It will still function fine.

Didn't you ask this question a few weeks ago? Show us detailed pictures of everything (spring, cocking piece, firing pin, shroud) in your bolt. Grease alone isn't going to aleviate the galling that's occuring here.

Did you polish your trigger/sear contact by chance?

Didn't you ask this question a few weeks ago? Show us detailed pictures of everything (spring, cocking piece, firing pin, shroud) in your bolt. Grease alone isn't going to aleviate the galling that's occuring here.

Did you polish your trigger/sear contact by chance?

It was part of a different thread about lightening bolt lift so I made a separate thread for this. The action is pretty smith now I just wanted to make sure the ditch wasn't hurting anything.

Ahh, ok.

I'm thinking your cocking piece could use a little buffing so it's not digging so roughly. Otherwise, lube and enjoy.

Thats a good call, I think I'll pull the firing pin apart tonight and see if I can round the edges a bit on the cocking piece and polish it up.