• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cody, WY firearms museum

ggmanning

Bird Dog
Minuteman
  • Apr 23, 2010
    Rural South
    Anybody been there? They have a staggering collection of vintage arms and over 2500 total pieces on display of all kinds from very early to modern firearms. The place wore me out reading all the placards.

Re: Cody, WY firearms museum

Yes, it is Valhalla.

I hope to retire as a docent there. Really.

And it's not just firearms. It has a Western art collection that is amazing. And a general Western Culture collection.

The museum is hard to do in less than a full day. You could easily spend 2 days there. But also, the dam just West of town is worth a visit.

Also, for $5 bucks, the Dug Gun Museum in Cody is neat. The owner has amassed a relics collection that is a lot of fun.

Cody is a great, great place. One of the nicest little cities I have ever been to.

Cheers,

Sirhr.

Its been twenty plus years since I was there. It was great then and I am sure it has only gotten better...

Rock island armory is another good one, just nowhere near as extensive (mostly military arms) but still a must see if your passing through.

Laporte County historical society has a nice exhibit of private collections as well, mostly black powder, if you happen to find yourself rolling through north western Indiana. There are some buried treasures there for sure!

I can't recommend the museum enough, a great trip through history. Please plan the biggest part of the day to see it all. The art (pictures, paintings, and sculptures) are incredible. Yes a couple of sandwiches in the pocket is a good idea as you will be there awhile.
    Cody attractions
    It is not just the fireams museum but the Buffalo Bill Center and much more. Well worth the price of admission. If at all possible try to go during the rodeo season and take in some of the best rodeo action in the country. The city and the folks there are wonderful. We are hoping to incorporate a couple of days in Cody next summer as the boys are now old enough to really appreciate the museums and the scenery. Thanks for posting this thread it brought back a bunch of good memories from several trips through Cody.

Yup... just over the hill from us.
    grin.gif

I grew up in Cody and my family is still there. Every spring before tourist season, they have a free day for the locals. It was amazing how much it changes. Guy I used to work with's wife was an assistant curator there - she said that at any given time, they only had 25-40% of the stuff out on display. My dad was friends with curator of Winchester museum section. They have all kinds of modern stuff that is donted or whatever that doesn't exactly fit the old western gun theme. He showed us an Uzi and a Mac 10 back when they were all the rage. Had a ton of that stuff in the backroom.

If you are in that part of the world and history is your thing, you will more than get you money's worth out of the admission. Interestingly, the Draper conservatory was funded by Nancy Draper - a very vocal anti-gun, anti-hunting advocate. Not starting any kind of a political discussion with that - just saying that there is everything from the conservatory she funded to the Winchester museum all on one campus- something for everyone.

Casey

One rifle I saw there about ten years ago was what IMHO is the earliest "assault rifle" it is a Winchester prototype made in 1919. It has a straight stock with pistol grip and two magazines that were on top of the rifle and the empty one rotated out of the way and the full mag takes its place. It was in .36 caliber. I believe it to be a very important historic piece. Anyone happen to have a photo?

Also went to the Wyoming frontier museum at the state fairgrounds. They had a good many period and war firearms also. Best collection of saddles I have ever seen. Wanted to leave with a few of the ropers thay had.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also went to the Wyoming frontier museum at the state fairgrounds. They had a good many period and war firearms also. Best collection of saddles I have ever seen. Wanted to leave with a few of the ropers thay had. </div></div>

You need to go to King Ropes in Sheridan Wyoming then !! lots of saddles, photos, western items !! Must see if in the area.
    cool.gif

http://kingropes.com/museum.htm

You are right that place looks like my kind of museum. Sad thing is I was in Sheridan on the trip visiting a friend for a day while passing through and didn't even know it was there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    You need to go to King Ropes in Sheridan Wyoming then !! lots of saddles, photos, western items !! Must see if in the area.
    cool.gif

http://kingropes.com/museum.htm </div></div>

Don't know about now, but for about 5 years in late 80's and early 90's you couldn't throw a rock in WY and not hit someone wearing a King Ropes hat. Those things were everywhere!

I've been to both places and it is an experience, haven't been back for awhile but would like to go again. From Teddy Roosevelts rifles and what he killed to letters written to the sharps company about how many shots and distances a buffalo hunter has used his/their rifle for kills. Brings a feeling of the old west and the brave pioneers that settled it. And it's not very often you get to walk right up to an original first run russell or remington bronze. Pretty Cool.

I think I could spend a week in there! I love the place!! I'll be going back again one day if at all possible.

My first time was last month, and it was amazing. The Bill Cody section was great if you're into the old west. The arms collection was staggering, and it blows my mind to think they have even more stuff in storage. We were there from open to close, it took us that long to see everything in the building. Patton's M1, and all the 16th century firearms, the memories send me off into daydreams. I'm going back on my next trip to Yellowstone for sure, and if you're anywhere near it you HAVE to go.

I was there a couple of weeks ago it took Dad and I the better part of all day to go through the firearms section and the Bill Cody section. The dug up gun museum is another must see I didn't get to spend much time there but the guy that owns it knows his shit and is really fun to talk to. I think if you are going to be in the Cody area bot museums are must see sites. On a side note the canyon going up the Shoshone river is really beautiful and is really neat drive from Cody to the park boundary not to mention that Yellowstone is just awesome too.

Besides the museums, check out the Cody Shooting Complex. One of the finest in the country. HP & 1000 yard ranges, skeet/trap, Pistol, SASS, you name it.

If you live close, for $35 a year, (I think that's the price) you have access to it all.

Just happened to stop in to see the Museum a few years ago and to my surprise there was a firearms portion that I wasn't aware of. Yes it was well worth the visit for Anynody going to Yellow Stone or who happens to find themselves looking for something to do in that part of the country!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Besides the museums, check out the Cody Shooting Complex. One of the finest in the country. HP & 1000 yard ranges, skeet/trap, Pistol, SASS, you name it.

If you live close, for $35 a year, (I think that's the price) you have access to it all. </div></div>

Kraig,

They are $60 now, but still a good deal. I grew up building and shooting at this range. My dad was president for most of a decade. It was 5 wood benches with one 100 yard backer when he was elected. Not only did I learn how to shoot there, I also learned welding, pouring concrete, roofing, dirt work, target setting, scoring, you name it. A couple of experienced builders were always working on something and willing to teach a kid how it was supposed to go. Once the guys saw you were serious about learning to shoot and not just a TV gazer dad drug out to the range, they were super-helpful. I learned something about benchrest, practical pistol, trap, skeet, silhouette, CMP, and rimfire there - all from a great group of guys. Good memories there - thanks for bringing them back.

Casey

I havent been there in a few years but i still always enjoy going and checking it out, seems like i see something new every time.

Oh and we always have to go into Ballard Rifles if they are open. Dad gets quite a kick out of their rifles.

I was at the Buffalo Bill Cody museum in June of this year. It is wonderful. The firearm museum is outstanding. You can go into the basement and see all the firearms that are in storage that they rotate occassionally. There are more in the basement then are on display on the main floor. I enjoyed the gun manufacturer machine shop display they had. Some of the big gun companies donated some of their machining equipment and it is on display. Very interesting. The firearms are grouped by manufacturer and by time period. Outstanding. Its Wyomings little secret.

Its takes at least a full day to see the entire museum.

My fiance and I are considering a road trip for our honeymoon and probably stay at a resort in Colorado for a few days. She asked if I'd want to make the trek to Cody to the Firearms Museum...I replied "did you even have to ask?"

Hopefully I'll get to make the trip in the spring.

To see it's full potential you need 2 days.

then you need to revisit 4-6 times a year as it is always changing.. ;-p

Worth the trip... The firearms are amazing. The artwork is equally amazing!