• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

COLD ammo and lube

clayne_b

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Had a shooting competition over the weekend, seems like everyone using CCI SV did not do well at all! My self included. The ones who did do well are the ones using ammo with that "slick" lube..

It was -2 F when we started at 2 F when we got done.

Thoughts or experiences?

Re: COLD ammo and lube

Mhhhmmmm. Now you learnin some deep blues.

Could have told you but so few listen, so I don't talk much lately.
This is one of the big reasons we don't run 22TSC at Conover in the winter months.
I had big success with Lapua Polar Biathlon during genuine cold, 30's and 40's. I had actually toyed with the idea of making a barrel blanket made from electric sock innards, had we kept shooting in the winter. I was not truly convinced it was all a lube factor, but the eel snot line from Lapua that includes Wolf, and SK, did seem to do pretty well.
Biathlon ammos tend to be a bit hotter. If the temp creeped up on you during a shooting session the lug nuts would come off, so its tricky. You can't just use it all the time, and it has a completely differnt lube, actually kinda dry and harder. Seems counter intuitive to me but it worked.

I will have to try some biathlon stuff. It seriously took 5 or 6 fast shots for it to settle in, and when you have a stage with 5 shots total. your screwed ha ha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't just use it all the time, and it has a completely differnt lube, actually kinda dry and harder. Seems counter intuitive to me but it worked.</div></div>

Wha???? Heh heh heh.,.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clayne_b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It was -2 F when we started at 2 F when we got done. </div></div>

At those temperatures, shivering would affect my accuracy more than ammo choice! That said, I'm going to have to go give it a whirl now and see how bad different ammo does when it really gets cold. This weekend is supposed to dip down pretty low...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clayne_b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a shooting competition over the weekend, seems like everyone using CCI SV did not do well at all! My self included. The ones who did do well are the ones using ammo with that "slick" lube..

It was -2 F when we started at 2 F when we got done.

Thoughts or experiences? </div></div>
I would move to GA. !!

Try some lapua polar biathlon or fiocchi biathlon super match (sm340). Both are accurate and perform well in frigid temps. You can find the fiocchi for under $10/50 if you look (used to be $7.99/50, but lately...), and the lapua is $13.50/50 at champions choice.