• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cold blue residual odor

Rusty_Shackelford

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2019
Is there any way to eliminate or at least reduce the selenium smell from the metal after the bluing process?

It's usually not bad when I use it once it's wiped clean and oiled however it's remained excessively strong for this project. I used it to cold blue an acid etch in a knife blade with a powder coated blade, so carding off the blued area wasn't an option with more than a toothbrush and some hot water.

cold blue smells like ass.......it eventually goes away(or at least decreases).....but theres really nothing you can do about it.

if its really bad, oil it with frog lube.....the lube will prevent rusting and itll smell good.

After about 8 hours in a baggie with a generous coat of CLP there is no noticeable odor at all to me. Just figured I'd share my results :)
I have not tried it, but Marvel 's Mystery Oil may work, it has a peppermint odor to it, at least to my screwy olfactory sense. I don't know if it would be harmful to the finishes though?

I can smell that cold blue basically forever. Doubt you can get it all gone.

I have not tried it, but Marvel 's Mystery Oil may work, it has a peppermint odor to it, at least to my screwy olfactory sense. I don't know if it would be harmful to the finishes though?

I highly doubt that any oil will have any effect on a powder coat finish, however I still can't notice any smell with my nose right on the blade so I'm happy enough with it. It was just pretty irritating to be able to smell it when the knife was 2 feet away in hand lol I'm just glad nobody has seen me sitting around giving my blade a good sniff, have gotten some strange looks smelling for cold bluing in gun shops before when browsing the used section lol