• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Cold Bore shot is way off

Lineman711

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2009
TN
Past 4 times I've shot my CZ 452 Varmint, my first shot of the day has been way off. At 100 yards, it's almost 7 inches low. I never noticed this happening at 25 or 50 yards, which is where I used to shoot first, but lately I've been going straight to 100 and it's consistently dropping the first shot about 7 inches low every time.

Today, I fired the first shot, way low, and the next 4 were right on. Gave the rifle over an hour to cool, not that it was anywhere near warm or anything, just wanted to see. First shot was right on target.

It's kind of confusing to me how consistently that first shot is 7 inches low. This is without any cleaning and i'm 100% sure that I'm not pulling or anything.

I'm not overly concerned about it, but I'd like to have an idea of what's causing this. I'm not interested in bedding or anything like that due to the fact that this rifle is an absolute tack driver otherwise.

Thoughts?

Re: Cold Bore shot is way off

My question to you is, is the barrel cool causing the shift or is it the shooter being cold causing the shift?

The CBS w/my 452 Varmint is a little low but not like you're describing. A guy I shoot silhouette thought it had something to do with the torque on the front screw (that attaches to the dovetail in the barrel). He tried different amounts of torque and spent a lot of time dialing his in. Mine isn't off enough so I haven't worried about it. I still don't understand why they put two action screws on the std. weight models and only one on the HB's...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My question to you is, is the barrel cool causing the shift or is it the shooter being cold causing the shift? </div></div>

It's not me, I'm sure of it.

If my first shot was always a little off, I'd take that into consideration, but to be so consistent, I think it's something else.

Also, I never shoot this rifle first when I go out. I always shoot my Mountain Rifle or lightweight .223 first since the barrels heat up so quick.

It seems as if two of the replies above are suggesting that it is shooter error. I can respect that.

My wife works tomorrow so I'll be shooting again in the morning. Instead of going to the farm, I'll go to the range where there are always several people on Saturdays, most of them I know. I'll get someone who I know is a decent shot, and also has been shooting before my arrival to shoot the rifle first and see where it hits.

It won't be touched until then, I'll even leave it in the truck. I still have the same cardboard that I put my targets on and I'll simply put one in the exact spot as my first one from today.

If I can find my camera cord I'll even post a pic.

It is not abnormal for a rimfire to place the 1st shot out of the group. If fact it is expected, by most RF shooters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpretle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not abnormal for a rimfire to place the 1st shot out of the group. If fact it is expected, by most RF shooters. </div></div>

JP is correct, almost all rimfire rifles shoot off target the first shot or two.

JP, I hope all is well in MT, I miss shooting with you guys I should have never moved to VA.

My Anschutz 1813 usually shoots low left the first shot, then a little closer the second shot, and usually by the third or fourth shot it's dead on. My Remington 37 shoot way low the first shot.

I believe this is due to the type of lubrication on the ammo being used. Some target ammo has a hard wax type lubrication (711B comes to mind), while others like RWS have a greasy lubricant. When the bore is truely cold the old lubricant has set up, and it effects the performance of the rifle. Once several shots have been fired the bore comes back and the rifle starts to shoot well. When I am shooting in a match I usually shoot 5 shots into the backer before shooting at the sighter bull.

Another reason the first shot or even up to the first ten will be off is cleaning your gun, depending on the gun it can take up to ten rounds to season the bore before the gun will start to perform well. I rarely clean my match rifles, maybe once a year or if I am going to try a new lot of ammo.

"<span style="font-style: italic"> It is not abnormal for a rimfire to place the 1st shot out of the group. If fact it is expected, by most RF shooters </span>."
-

Yep and in my .22 the CB shot and what follows in # of rounds fired till Group tightens-up all depends of the Temp. of where I am @ .
All I run is subsonic vel. & lubed lead . the accuracy groove rides in the sweet-spot of barrel being seasoned and when the Temp. changes. The barrel has to get to that Spot where it all rides tight-group. Sometimes takes 3-shots & sometimes 17-shoots .
-CB shot - For 'Me Is' . 1st shot from a rifle NOT has not been fired that day. & My .22 CB shot usually Pretty Predictable & is 1/2 moa Left @ 9-10 o'clock position @ 50 yrd zero
-Sweet-Spot- For 'Me Is'. in my .22 barrels Bore is made of a crap-load of dirty .22 powder crude, Lead dust and Lube that mixes all together like 'Magic Fairy Poop' & when it is all warmed-up it shoot 10-rounds in a dime size group @ 50 yrd.

Yep, I think 168 hit the nail on the head, as a matter of fact some rim fire shooters paint their barrels (maybe black?) to help hold heat in keeping the "lube" soluble between strings...

softcock,that screen name is funny as hell...sorry for your lose!LOL

Makes sense now I guess. Thanks for the info. I guess I never took the lube into consideration.

I never had a problem with my Quad/Lilja setup, and I actually tend to shoot my best group with the first 5 shots of the day when checking my dope. Dial to 100Y and see where I am. I don't see any variance in first shot of the day to my last other than when I push bad shots.