• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cold bore

Hattrick

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2014
Ive been seeing some pretty bad cold bore fliers out of my CZ here lately especially since I switch to Eley High velocity HP. Anybody else have the same problem. I do see more flyers from these than I do my target rounds. Maybe it’s just a Coincidence what’s your thoughts?

can't say I relate to that problem with my cz , It's been a wonderful gun since I got it almost a year ago . Now I do run into issues if I am not the last person to use it kids fart around with knobs more than what they should . But it usually only take a practice shot or two to know if they touched it or not we liked the eley ammo all I have tried except the tenex I did not get really good results from it that day and on 3 other occasions , but the sk's really worked well with my gun most of them have shot really nice groups including the cci standards just not as nicely as the sk's . Good luck finding what your gun likes and what works best within your budget .

If you are doing any sort of precision shooting, I would avoid any "high velocity" ammo

At 100 yds or so the bullet will go transonic, which leads to instability and poor accuracy.

It could also just be your gun doesn't like that particular batch of ammo

Reactions: JKW70
I've seen cold bore fliers at times, probably 1/2" at 50 yards from my Vudoo and SK Match. Usually after a clean bore.

Hoping it’s the ammo I going to pay more attention to it here on out I can’t say I’ve seen it that much with other ammo. For the most part it shoots pretty well.

FWIW, these are not fliers, virtually all 22’s shooting match type ammo do it, includung purpose built BR guns.
First shot or two go high.
It is a very simple explanation, the first couple shots in a clean or cold barrel usually go high because those shots are usually faster because of a lack of soft, warm lube in the bore where velocity stabilizes and slows a bit and gun shoots to POI.
You are never gonna have a 22 hit POI right from a cold/clean bore.
Even for the guys that have’nt figured out a regular cleaning regimen, it’s somewhat of an issue.

Last edited:
While not clean, my Kidd does not exhibit cold bore deviation. It does take about 10 rounds to settle in after cleaning. However, I shoot these several days before a match. It usually has ~50 down the barrel before any match. I shoot 1 confirmation shot on the zero target and put it away until the match starts. Clean barrel is about 1/2 moa high and left.

My 457 will start having cold bore fliers after 500 or so rounds past cleaning. My fliers tend to be low and left, though, rather than high like another gentleman experienced. The rifle has always behaved this way for me, I have about 10,000 rounds down her