• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cold hammer forged barrel material requirements?

AbitNutz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
Ok, this is a dumb question to those who know and understand the subject because I don't. On a cold hammer forged barrel, does the steel have to be chrome-moly or could you use 416R? Or something other stainless?

The composition of the "cromoly" steel is usually different for hammer forging vs button/cut rifling. The processes are vastly different, so the material properties steel has for button/cut rifling may not be what you look for when hammer forging

Stainless is known for being malleable. I don't see why it couldn't be hammer forged. Hammer forging is the cheap option for mass producing barrels. Cheap being the operative word here and also my guess as to why stainless is not used for hammer forged barrels.

That is
https://shopruger.com/10_22-Target-Barrel-Stainless/productinfo/90551/

Detailed Description
Ruger® 10/22® Target Barrel is 20" long with a .920 diameter. Heavy, cold hammer-forged stainless steel barrel features recessed target crown and spiral design. .22LR caliber, 1:16" RH twist. Barrel weighs 3.44 lbs. (55.04 oz.).
Genuine Ruger® Factory Accessory
That is certainly a unique barrel. If I didn't have a Kidd barrel that was a super tight fit on my 10/22 I'd try it.