• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cold Hammer Forged Barrels

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
Are they worth an extra $100??

Im looking at a BCM upper but they have 2 options.

Everything is the exact same on the M4 Carbine accept one has a Cold hammer forged barrel.. for $100 more..

What does this mean?

Is it beter? Why?

Is it worth it or is it just not needed?

Also anyone know when BCM will get anymore uppers in stock?

Re: Cold Hammer Forged Barrels

Theyre supposed to last a bit longer than standard chrome lined barrels. Ive never shot enough rounds through one to see if its true though...

Reactions: MarkBlue

Also are these complete uppers? Or do they not have a bolt and charging handle? I cant seem to find that any where on the info.

Link.

NO BCG or CH. If you look kind of down and to the right youll see the window that gives you the option to add them if you want...

monty (centurion arms) has a TON in stock right now, just saying. and they are hammer forged double chrome lined

they are supposed to last like 2-3 times as long

Ohh yea I thought that was an option to upgrade it to their tactical charging handle and some other kind of bolt.. Ok I get it now

Thank you guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowslngr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No. CHF is not worth a $100 premium...if any at all. </div></div>

This is what I hear from most people. Although Ive never been able to take a barrel to its round count expectancy to prove it...

I cant tell you if it is worth if or not, but for example on the FNAR it has a CHF barrel and they say that it maintains a 1 MOA accuracy and tested by FN to 10,000 rounds. I am assuming that it is because of the CHF barrel.

I do not own one but I am looking at building an AR15 type rifle and I would like to use one then. I hear they are very accurate and they last a lot longer and the steel is suppose to be denser, they use a cold hammer forged barrels on the M24 rifle.

I know where to get a DD chf mid upper complete with bcg shipped for 695 new.

Alot of new stuff seems to be voodoo nowadays. But I buy into the CHF barrels. I just wish I could get one for my Armalite. Some say its a cheaper way to mass produce barrels, yes but you can also mass produce quality barrels quickly and consistently.

http://technology.calumet.purdue.edu/met/higley/NotesOnHammerForgedBarrels.pdf

Its only a matter of time until someone finds the perfect type of steel that will blow single cut barrels out of the water in accuracy and longevity. It really is a more reliable process in making barrels, less room for error as long as your hammers and mandrels are up to par. This is only my opinion.

A CHF barrel is worth the money if you are going to shoot the piss out of the barrel. CHF barrels last longer and can handle higher temperatures for longer. If you shoot select fire, or you simply just run your gun so hard it damn near glows, then the CHF is ideal. If not, it's really not worth the money. You really gain very little in the way of accuracy, if any at all. This is especially true when compared to match barrels.

Larry Vickers swears by Daniel Defense CHF barrels, but he also puts thousands and thousands of rounds through his guns on a very regular basis. He pretty much needs one for better barrel life.

The denser steel derived from the hammer-forging process means that the throat of the boar will erode at a slower rate.Forged steel resists erosive effects of heat and pressure longer than traditional steel.Hammer-forged barrels are difficult and expensive to manufacture but they are by far the most robust barrel out there. (tom beckstrand guns&weapons)