• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cold Steel

I go to gun forums for gun reviews and to knife forums for knife reviews. Cold steel does not have a terribley good reputation for cost:benefit, innovation, or integrity. They tend to enjoy a love/hate relationship with knife enthusiasts, with much of the hate fomented by the over the top advertising and the antics of the owner of the company, Lynn Thompson. They use tend to use budget steel (krup 4116 stainless), budget handle material (FRN), and [adequate] sheaths. Unfortunately, they tend to charge premium prices.

This is a pretty typical review...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/530899-Test-Mora-VS-Finn-Bear

And, if it matters to you, Cold steel does not "make" any of their blades, and many are made outside of the USA. With the closure of Camillus and subsequent acquisition by Taylor Brands, there may not be any Cold Steel blades made in the USA...

Cold Steel knives, made in China?

If you end up with one, post a review of your experience. I own a bunch of knives and none of them are cold steel.

Last edited:
SRK with a little creative grinding to minimize the clip point makes a pretty good all-around knife. ( it doesn't do anything GREAT but does manage to do everything I ask it to do) Sheath is pretty good!

I have a Cold Steel kukri, there was a rubber knurl at the end of the handle, apparently to keep your hand from slipping off, but I ground it off, as it interfered with swinging it. FWIW.

I had a number of "carbon 5" SRK's, sold them all. They would not hold an edge.
They would be dull before gutting a single deer. My VG-10 Spyderco fixed blade would handle multiple deer and still be extremely sharp.

As was said some love some hate I prefer to judge a company by the quality of their product as well as their customer service!
That being said I own or have owned several of their knives. I've cleaned many deer w my Master Hunter (stainless old version) and it
did everything and asked for more. Up until this past hunting season when it broke while splitting the pelvis on whitetail. The knife was
over 20yrs old at that point and the blade broke maybe 1/4 above the grip. Fortunately I had a my recon tanto in my truck and was able to finish the deer with that which was quite interesting since I hadn't used a blade that big for that sort of job before. The "finish" that black finish is great for cleaning off blood etc, couldn't believe how quick an easy that rec tanto cleaned up.
I spoke with the cold steel guys at a recent outdoor show here in PA and they gave me a brand new san mai master hunter at no cost which i was expecting but pleasantly suprised when it was as easy to exchange. They also mentioned they never saw one break like mine did.
I also have one of their kukri's not the cheaper one, and I have no idea how many shooting lanes,blinds, brush I've used it on.
So they'r ok/good in my opinion. With that being said the last knife I bought was an ESEE-5 which will be in my pack from now when hunting hiking etc...IF I brake that I'm apparently to rough on my equipment.

I have two folders with Tanto blades in AUS-9 steel, not 440 stainless. I've carried one in y right front pocket with a clip for over 10 years now. Its not assisted opening, but I've learned to draw and flick it open as fast as any assisted opener I've got. The hinge is strong, and the blade takes a wcked edge and holds it with a Lansky honing rig. I only wish it had serrations, and I just got a fixture to do that.

I've seen other Cold Steel that I wouldn't use to open mail. I don't understand why their quality is so all over the place, but they do make some good blades as well as some I could only call fair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD