• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Cold weather boots?

slg888

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Knoxville,TN
What are you guy's wearing for cold weather {below freezing} boots for walking thru snow and sitting all day {8-10hrs}?

My waterproof Rocky's were not so waterproof last year and feet got cold. Time for a better Rocky or better brand.

Re: Cold weather boots?

You may not agree, but i wear the white mickey mouse boots, and hike miles with em when predator hunting in sub zero weather, my feet have <span style="text-decoration: underline">never</span> got cold, i work out hard as hell so its not too big of a deal for me to wear these heavy guys, if you are concerned about heavy these are not the way to go. you can get em for a decent price as well 40- 90$.

I have a pair of the kennetrek packs and where them for every thing from deer hunting to ice fishing and my feet have always been dry and warm. they are spendy though cant remeber exactly what i paid but i know my wife was pissed when she saw the reciept but well worth it in my mind

US Army mountain boots are decent down to 20 below - I wore them for 4 years - they did good.

Danners did good except some people's feet would sweat, and when you slow down that sweat cools yyou off.

IMHO Mickey Mouse boots should only be used from 20 below and colder. Your feet will sweat in those as well but at 20 below it's a good balance.

That's my experience, ArcticLight Infantry!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Night poacher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you guy's wearing for cold weather {below freezing} boots for walking thru snow and sitting all day {8-10hrs}?

My waterproof Rocky's were not so waterproof last year and feet got cold. Time for a better Rocky or better brand. </div></div>

If you are sitting your feet will get cold even with mickey boots. Sitting decreases blood flow to your lower body. Low blood flow means cold.

I love my mickeys, they are around %45 in Alaska and can be found quite easy. But, for steep terrain, they are not that good. They kept feet warm to -60F on a push but feet still got chilled when standing.

A couple tricks, place feet on foam pad when sitting or standing to insulate from the ground. I carried a ridgerest piece every day in Alaska.

When sitting, unlace boots, place on pad, undo belt, try to keep knees not bent or do not bend at the waist, anything to get blood to the feet.

Drink hot liquids that are not diuretics.

Eat and drink through the day, nibble every 15mins or so. I prefer M&Ms, good sugar and fat for quick and long term calories. Logan bread is one of the best foods out there for winter. Rocket fuel is good too.....chocolate covered coffee beans when you get a chill or gassed, some I know eat jalapenos when chilled.

Take garlic pills or 80mg baby aspirin to thin the blood.

When lacing boots, put full body weight on one foot at a time, lace them up...the foot flattens out with body weight, if you lace your boots with no weight, then when you place weight on the foot your foot gets squeezed. There are many tricks to lacing boots to keep the laces loose over the forefoot but snugged down around the ankle.

Use Superfeet to support and control the foot, the stabilizer is under the talus bone to support weight and will actually keep your foot from expanding as you place weight down.

Layer on Degree antiperspirant at the beginning of each day, layer it between and around toes. Works very good at moisture control. Started doing this 20 years ago with great success.

We were issued Danner Ft Lewis boots, all I can say is they did not do the job so I had LaSportiva Lhotse boots in black get authorized and issued.

Issued Mukluks are as good as mickey if you remove the white wool liner and replace it with a LaCrosse wool felt liner out of pacboots and use a Superfeet in the liner. Use Gwax, Nikwax or Scotchguard water proofing that works OK unless in very sloppy snow, sleet, etc.

I wore LaSportiva Nepal Extreme boots in Alaska for years down to -28F and as long I was on a push, feet never got cold. Standing, you betcha. I wore them for up to 2 weeks in the Alaska Range with no hint of cold toes. All boots no matter who makes them do not add increased insulation under the foot and this is were or how feet get cold...sinking cold from the ground up through the sole into the feet. The Nepal Extremes have an additional layer of superb insulation under the foot. Of course they are $500 but considered the premier single leather boot ever made.

I made my living in Alaska on/in the outdoors while AD and retired. I was a mountain guide, climbing instructor and survival instructor for many years.

Any questions, I will be glad to help, do not know everything but I do know a few things about the cold and footwear.

Hey any chance you were there AD between 87 and 91???

That's where I was, 5/9 Inf Reg, 6th ID - COHORT infantry (I was not COHORT, merely commo)

Yes and no....86 - 91, did a tour in AZ, more days TDY than home, home for 89 Brim Frost, that was a cold one and got the call for Kuwait / Saudi in 90, 3rd unit in country.

What area and conditions were you hunting. How long out. Day or night. Carrying a pack? Sitting or standing? Need for quiet? Need to hide tracks? These things determine the type of boot I wear.