• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Cold weather boots

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
I am looking for suggestions on cold weather boots for hunting in the midwest. Something that would work well for tree stand and not too thick or bulky where traveling on foot will still be feasible.

Reactions: Huntinglover
I got these last winter and I walked around in 15-20 degree temps all day with a thick pair of wool socks. My feet were toasty warm the entire time.

https://www.rockyboots.com/bearclaw...f-1000g-insulated-outdoor-boot/FQ0009234.html

I also have a pair of these for when I am going to be sitting for extended periods. They fold up and compress really well in a back pack. When you get to your stand, just take them out of the pack and put them over your boots. I hunted one winter in -17 degree weather. My feet never got cold with these on.

http://icebreakerinc.com/bootblanket.php

I'm forced to wear waterproof boots year around here (creeks on the property). I have found a lot of comfort in the Lacrosse muck style boots, which even though I'm a EE I can still fit comfortably in their D width.

My latest pair is lined, but the lining is starting to wear out...this is my only gripe with Lacrosse.

I pretty much live in Muck boots during hunting season, and think they are a long damned way from the warmest thing. My feet always come out soaking wet, even when it’s cold. Staying tuned.

Reactions: HOOFER
I got these last winter and I walked around in 15-20 degree temps all day with a thick pair of wool socks. My feet were toasty warm the entire time.

https://www.rockyboots.com/bearclaw...f-1000g-insulated-outdoor-boot/FQ0009234.html

I also have a pair of these for when I am going to be sitting for extended periods. They fold up and compress really well in a back pack. When you get to your stand, just take them out of the pack and put them over your boots. I hunted one winter in -17 degree weather. My feet never got cold with these on.

http://icebreakerinc.com/bootblanket.php

The rocky boots are very similar to what I was issued in the military. Only reason I got rid of them was because they were steel-toed which is not helpful for cold weather. This may be a good choice.

The rocky boots are very similar to what I was issued in the military. Only reason I got rid of them was because they were steel-toed which is not helpful for cold weather. This may be a good choice.

When I bought them I was considering another pair with 1400G insulation but they were not as comfortable. The pair that I bought didn't need any break-in; they felt so good.

I bought them right at the Rocky store and they gave me a 10% military discount.

If you buy them on line, I am not sure how you can take advantage of that but maybe you could send them an email.

Reactions: aslrookie
I like a boot that is in the 200-400g insulation range. Wear a med weight merino wool sock. Feet do not get overheated on the way to the stand and my feet atay warmer than when I wore 1000g knee high rubber boots. If it is going to be in the teens or below or plan an all day sit, once on stand I will put on boot blankets with a hand warmer under the toe lace.
I wear irish setter gunflints, they have a generous toe box

So what are we talking "cold" are we talking Missouri cold or are we talking north dakota cold. It's a very different deal. If a guy from Missouri goes to nd with his cold gear he's more than likely going to freeze his ass off. Conversly going from nd to Missouri, they're going to be down to their underwear. I'm only kidding and speaking in general terms, not pointing fingers. Same could be said about going from a dry cold to a wet cold, humidity plays a role.

If you want a cool weather boot your mucks work just fine, if you want a cold weather boot look at baffin or nats. The nats are super light weight but lack the durability. Baffin are decent weight wise but slightly cumbersome to walk miles in.

Or some thing along the lines of mucklucks wool liners with a good boot. The gi snow boots are fine too, but get heavy and can be cumbersome.

Xdeano

Reactions: jakelly
Danner - Canadian

Hobo

1200 gram Danner Pronghorn. I've had my pair for 5+ years now. Absolutely love them for all midwestern (Illinois) hunts. I wear them from November into March from tree stand hunting to coyote hunting. They are still water proof too.
I used to wear the rubber/neoprene knee boots but my feet were always cold. Not anymore.

I use to battle with foot warmth for all day stand sits in Iowa's December deer season. From pack boots, to boot blankets, to Arctic Shields... Went to a Heater Body Suit a few years back and it was the best decision I made for warmth all around. I can literally walk to my stand in sneakers and sit all day in just socks if I wanted. I'll typically wear a light pair of non-rubber boots(want the feet to breathe), with a chemical warmer thrown down each leg of the HBS. If it's going to be really cold, I'll take a pair of Arctic Shields along to put over my boots once in stand (with a chemical warmer inside). The HBS does a great job of containing heat and provides for a comfortable all day sit with a little sacrifice in mobility. Takes cold weather hunting to another level and allows many hours in stand that otherwise would have been lost.

I have a new pair of 18", 1000 gr, zip up LaCrosse airing out on my porch trying to get the new rubber smell out.

Better learn about your own feet first than just buy boots people recommend. You will be surprised what doesn't work and what does work.

As someone stated about their feet being wet. Well your feet sweat just the same as other parts of the body. Wrapping them in "waterproof" material doesn't let the sweat evaporate. The same can be said about wearing big thick wool socks. They will hold the sweat, but if the boots let the cold in they will freeze.

For me it was a decent GoreTex style boot with light insulation while wearing thin to medium/normal Merino wool socks. Feet breathe, boot breathes....I'm happy.

Reactions: Aftermath
The warmest and most comfortable boot I've owned to date is the Cabela's Saskatchewan boot. Not going to run a marathon in them but for keeping your feet warm during long periods of inactivity in cold weather, nothing else I've worn comes close.

I picked up a pair of Danner Pronghorns yesterday. They are 800g of primaloft insulation and goretex.

Schnees, Kennetrek, or Hoffman pac boots. Warm, dry, and you can hike miles in then without issue.

I just finished a Nov. elk hunt in Colorado and on 3 out of the 5 days I wore my pac boots b/c of the snow. Hiked 6-8 miles per day without issue in tough terrain.

I have the Schnees and love them. Got extra liners so it’s a snap to swap them out with a dry set. on some Montana hunting trips just alternated liners every day and always dry. After a long hike up, I pulled the liners out during a midday break on the way to a spot and they dried out very fast.

now I hunt the SE and they’re overkill but nice on cold morning still hunts.

good luck with a pair of 511 Tactical Extremes un insulated for warm weather scout and knocking about.

When it comes to hunting in the cold weather, there is nothing better than a good pair of pack boots. I would consider something from Schnee's or Hoffman's. I have and like the Schnee's Elk Hunter II warmest hunting boots. There are many people who recommend the Hoffman boot shown here.

Last edited:
Here's the ticket:

Problem: As has been mentioned, your feet sweat. Sweat causes all sorts of issues from depleting the insulation value of whatever it is to creating that thermal transmission mechanism known as conduction to foot rot.

Solution: Go buy yourself the cheapest spray on ANTIPERSPIRANT you can find. Before you put on socks, hose those feet down, don't miss a square centimeter. After spraying and before actually sticking your freshly sprayed foot into your sock, use that sock to spread that antiperspirant goodness all over the foot. Make sure the spray is good and dry and then put that first sock on (yes, 2 layer them). It should be of a very open weave and of a material that will not hold moisture and allow air flow. Polypropylene. Then you put on the next sock and it should be of some sort of insulation material (NOT COTTON) and there are several that work well. Then you put that entire assembly in a piece of footwear that will allow the moisture still created to escape (not muck boots) and loose enough to not inhibit circulation of the nice warm blood that was pumped from your heart through your body core to the foot.

You are welcome.

I am enjoying my Muck Boots this season. Insulated and waterproof. And I learned a long time ago to wear one thick pair of socks, not too. Your feet get cold but they do not sweat. Sweaty feet get colder faster and that can be a problem.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I run lacrosse alphaburly because I have to do low water creek crossings alot to get to my deer stands. I have issues with my feet sweating so I wear a good moisture wicking sock with them. Most of the time down to 25 degrees I don't wear insulated socks and my feet stay pretty warm. Under 25 I'll wear a good wool insulated sock over the moisture wicking sock.