• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft COLD WEATHER GLOVES

FALex

Headmaster of Romper Room
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
USA
hey folks, so we have a competition this weekend and it's getting to be pretty chilly in these parts. This will be my first winter engaged in competition and I have no idea what type of gloves would be most appropriate for this endeavor? I imagine there is a fine line between maintaining warmth and being able to still feel the trigger, if that is even possible? Only thing I can think of are those gloves where you can open the fingers and expose them to the elements. Anyone have any practical experience with this issue that might be able to lend a brother some help! Thanks all.

Re: COLD WEATHER GLOVES

Get some of these. They worked for me when I shot in the winters in Alaska. Military Trigger Finger Mittens.

1_c5579dc8aae9c201d6fd817eea803fac.jpg

Cabela's has a great assortment of gloves.

As a ski patroller I'd recommend the following features:

1. Gore-Tex membrane (accept no substitutes)
2. removable fleece and/or pile liners (always carry a spare pair of liners)
3. good quality palms, preferrably good leather.
4. gauntlets with draw strings & stop toggles to cover your glove/cuff area at the wrist.

For hunting and shooting i use those camo mit/fingerless gloves that you can flip open. I wear glove liners under those and usually flip the mits over my 3 fingers and leave my trigger finger exposed.

When it gets really damn cold i have two layers of glove liners and then my gloves. Then throw a handwarmer inside the flip open mit pouch.

I've got Reynauds in my fingers so if my hands just get a little cold then bye bye blood flow. I've tried many other glove combos and this is the best ive found.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dirty_drew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For hunting and shooting i use those camo mit/fingerless gloves that you can flip open. I wear glove liners under those and usually flip the mits over my 3 fingers and leave my trigger finger exposed.

When it gets really damn cold i have two layers of glove liners and then my gloves. Then throw a handwarmer inside the flip open mit pouch.
</div></div>

Exactly what he said ^ and the best I have found is the

<span style="color: #FF6600">Arctic Shield glove/mitt system</span>

The flip open mitt has magnets to hold it open, no velcro so they're silent. They are awesome and you can put adhesive toe warmers or regular hand warmers in the flip mitt part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dirty_drew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For hunting and shooting i use those camo mit/fingerless gloves that you can flip open. I wear glove liners under those and usually flip the mits over my 3 fingers and leave my trigger finger exposed.

</div></div>

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...e (i have the cheap velcros) but great gloves
Exactly what he said ^ and the best I have found is the

<span style="color: #FF6600">Arctic Shield glove/mitt system</span>

The flip open mitt has magnets to hold it open, no velcro so they're silent. They are awesome and you can put adhesive toe warmers or regular hand warmers in the flip mitt part. </div></div>

I really like OR . If you are active duty they give a great pro deal as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get some of these. They worked for me when I shot in the winters in Alaska. Military Trigger Finger Mittens.

</div></div>

+1!!

Military mittens are awesome. I have the air force ones not for shooting just for warmth. But you can slip them on and off really quick.

i've got some swix snowboarding gloves which I wear in really cold temps, though i've not needed them this year (yet). Otherwise I wear a fleece glove which is fine by itself but can also be used as a liner inside another glove when temps drop or if there is a chance of getting them wet.

All of these still allow me the dexterity to shoot a firearm, though it might be tough on an AR that didn't have a enlarged or "winter" trigger-guard. I use the magpul polymer ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get some of these. They worked for me when I shot in the winters in Alaska. Military Trigger Finger Mittens.

</div></div>

these^^^ make sure you get the wool liners, don't get just one pair , I make sure that I have many extra as one gets wet from snow or sweat swap them out also some of those chem hand warmers are the ticket.

side note when I winter camp I take many pair of mitts and use glove liner in them , I have yet to find the best type of glove or mitt, i dont think they exist...lol

I use Filson merino wool gloves with insulated goretex mittens over them as needed.

I spent several yrs at ft greely ak and saw many days on the firing line down to -40 degrees. a good wiking base glove (no cotton) and a mitten with a heater pack worked the best. I tied the mitten low on my chest rig and would throw my hand in it to warm it up. I used one of wiggy's mittens. make sure the base glove offers a contact barrier to keep the moisture on your hands from freezing to metal surfaces if it gets really cold. the mechanix type contact gloves (leather finge/palm surface worked well.