• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cold Welded Bullets in Neck

The thing is nobody knows exactly what causes the cold welding because everybody has their own loading process
and cleaning ritual.

Add the environment, smokeless powder and your sweaty KFC covered fingers touching the bullets and who knows what else.
In order to prevent it you must first find the cause.

A while back I posted pics of some handloads from the late 80's I dissected, they were over 30 years old and there was no cold weld
present. There was a small spot of corrosion on the corner of the BT bullet where it had been in contact with the powder but no where else.

Is it possible that some powders may contribute to this? Could it be the various brass alloys different manufactures use?

Lapua needs to look into this!

EDIT: Found my old post.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrienM
I've found no difference in SD/ES (after wet tumbling for a little over an hour) between Graphite lubed necks and no lube. In one instance, my Graphite lubed SD/ES was up slightly. So, I recently stopped with the Graphite. I normally load long and final seat the night before shooting. I think the reduced tumbling time helps by leaving a trace of polished Carbon in the neck.