• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colloidal graphite

Jmkjr87

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2019
    I watched Eric Cortinas interview with speedy and i saw speedy talking about using lock ease after he was finished cleaning his rifle. When I googled it I found some guys like lock ease, some like neolube no.1, some neolube no.2, some make there own and alot say nope don't use it. I was thinking about getting some lock ease to try it out. Also I'm thinking about using lock ease to lube my case necks before seating bullets. I use redding dry neck lube but it gets everywhere. So who's a fan of colloidal graphite, what kind do you use and where do you use it?

Use the number 2.

Also, keep in mind, you may need to increase your interference fit. You’ll be drastically reducing friction. So you may need to offset that, otherwise you might have bullets moving during recoil and chambering.

Colloidal graphite has been around for almost 100 years. Like other products, it has it's place. If it was the do all be all we would see more of it around every mechanic's shop. I've built engines using white lead and 30 wt motor oil mixed together. I've built race engines using STP on all of the parts as I assembled it. I still run 30 wt motor oil in engines that are very old... It's more about "maintaining" than the products that are available.

Use the number 2.

Also, keep in mind, you may need to increase your interference fit. You’ll be drastically reducing friction. So you may need to offset that, otherwise you might have bullets moving during recoil and chambering.
    I use type s bushing dies, neck tension should be the same between redding neck lube and neolube right? I use it because I wet tumble brass and I don't want galling when seating bullets into clean case necks

Colloidal graphite has been around for almost 100 years. Like other products, it has it's place. If it was the do all be all we would see more of it around every mechanic's shop. I've built engines using white lead and 30 wt motor oil mixed together. I've built race engines using STP on all of the parts as I assembled it. I still run 30 wt motor oil in engines that are very old... It's more about "maintaining" than the products

I will read that article later when I got time, thanks for posting it

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
    I use type s bushing dies, neck tension should be the same between redding neck lube and neolube right? I use it because I wet tumble brass and I don't want galling when seating bullets into clean case necks

Neo is going to be less friction than most any neck lube out there. Especially powdered form.

Just be aware if you get not so great results that you may need a tighter fit.

What about using lock ease as a neck lubricant to seat bullets

Back in the day they used to sell motor oil with graphite suspended in the oil.

By all accounts, it actually worked for the time, I think project farm actually did a video on this.

Not sure I'd use something like that in anything more complicated than a mower, though.

As for gun lube, I've used Mobil 1 synthetic grease for bolt guns down to -20F up here with no issues.

For seating bullets, graphite should be fine.

I imagine graphite will get everywhere also. Isn't it pretty much the same thing?
    The colloidal graphite can be applied to a cotton swab and then you wipe the inside of the case necks, let the liquid flash off and then dump powder and seat bullets. So it's cleaner but I see guys using neolube not lock ease. Well I found lock ease yesterday at the hardware store for 5 bucks instead of 40 for neolube no.2 so I'm going to try it on some practice brass and see how it works

I use graphite in my necks in a powder media ala Sinclair, however Speedy is using colloidal graphite as a rifle barrel finishing touch after cleaning!, I'm not sure if one is better than the other but they have different application methods specific to the task at hand IMHO!
    I would like to know if one will do it all and if that is the most cost effective solution also.

I use graphite in my necks in a powder media ala Sinclair, however Speedy is using colloidal graphite as a rifle barrel finishing touch after cleaning!, I'm not sure if one is better than the other but they have different application methods specific to the task at hand IMHO!
    I would like to know if one will do it all and if that is the most cost effective solution also.
    Well I know guys use neolube no 2 to lube Case necks, so why couldn't I use lock ease to lube case necks. There both colloidal graphite but they are different. I am going to test out the lock ease and see what happens

I watched the same video recently. I believe Speedy was talking about filing in the cracks and pits that form on the barrel - better barrel life because the bullet doesn't "catch" on the imperfections and make them worse. . He mentioned that the excess burns out on the first shot. I'm interested so I will look into it in the BenchRest forums.

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
    I watched the same video recently. I believe Speedy was talking about filing in the cracks and pits that form on the barrel - better barrel life because the bullet doesn't "catch" on the imperfections and make them worse. . He mentioned that the excess burns out on the first shot. I'm interested so I will look into it in the BenchRest forums.

In simple terms, they are simulating fouler shots.

They have scrubbed the barrel clean of carbon. Running the graphite into it simulates the first fouling shots that leave new carbon in the barrel.

Basically, the are minimizing “clean bore” shifts.

Reactions: Jcarpenter223
    In simple terms, they are simulating fouler shots.

They have scrubbed the barrel clean of carbon. Running the graphite into it simulates the first fouling shots that leave new carbon in the barrel.

Basically, the are minimizing “clean bore” shifts.
    Thanks! I surmise no permanent damage to the bore. I might give it a try then..