• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

color finnishes and carbon wrapped barrels

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2010
    Lewiston, ME
    I am going to gun kote my new ABS barreled 700 , but I am having a hard time deciding on what color to use. Does anyone have any pics of carbon wrapped barrels that have a colored finnish (other than black)? I am thinking of "dark earth" , but would appreciate any thoughts on this. I just dont want the carbon stick out like a sore thumb but I dont want black. Also has any one had any problems with heat curing and the carbon it will be 320f for 1 hour or so? Thanks for any help.

Re: color finnishes and carbon wrapped barrels

Carbon fiber is black. If you want a different color it needs to be painted.

Different resin matrices are cured at different heat levels. I have no idea at what heat the barrels are cured at.

I am going to leave the carbon alone and color the metal around it , I just dont want to use a color that will not make the carbon stick out too bad. I was just looking for ideas from someone who has done this and liked the way it turned out , or from someone who didnot like how it turned out and why.

I would not heat cure that barrel just because it might dry out the resin and warp the fiber. We have done a few with Duracoat in multiple colors. All in flat colors and they really look great but KG is our normal finish. Duracoat is only used on guns like that.
    Buzz

I pretty sure that ABS recommends that their barrels not be painted. I seem to remember this from a conversation I have with Mike regarding some barrels I have.

Color the metal is fine but we did not bake the paint due to the resin in the fiber. Don't think it is rated as high as 320F, might want to call them and ask.

Thanks all.

Mdesign, what product did you use for the color on the metal and how is it holding up? I figured I should not heat cure it but wanted some experianced peoples opnion , I am tring to call Mike but he is hard to get on the phone.

Carbon fiber is black. If you want a different color it needs to be painted.

Different resin matrices are cured at different heat levels. I have no idea at what heat the barrels are cured at.
    Have you by chance painted the carbon fiber portion on a proof barrel? The reason I'm asking is I was planning on duracoating my pr barrel fde but heard that the paint could interfere with accuracy by affecting how the fiber dissipated heat.Im hoping to find someone that has painted the carbon to verify whether or not it truly affects accuracy. Any insight would be appreciated. Semper Fi

I’ve cured Cerakote on metal ends of several CF barrels (250F / 2 hours). If you are concerned about the heat you can cure at 155-180F for 3 hours. Never painted over the CF portion (seems like blasphemy to me) but I’ve recently been requested to do so. Should know in a couple months.

Last edited:
    8D314C7B-89B8-40C7-BB3C-11380A9D5C55.jpeg

Reactions: spife7980
    I’ve cured Cerakote on metal ends of several CF barrels (250F / 2 hours). If you are concerned about the heat you can cure at 155-180F for 3 hours. Never painted over the CF portion (seems like blasphemy to me) but I’ve recently been requested to do so. Should know in a couple months.
    Hey thanks for the insight look forward to hearing if it will affect accuracy