• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Colorado coyotes.

Re: Colorado coyotes.

Find and call a p-dog town...you'll find coyotes.

Then again, I've never called a CO coyote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegionM40A5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didnt have much luck in the grasslands.. options? </div></div>

Grasslands are a waste of time. You really need to go knock on some doors. My best spot is on a farm by a huge sheep ranch and a one of the city's dumps. The yotes have a highway leading to the sheep farm and the dump. Easy pickins...

If you're up for traveling there are quite a few ranches down by the New Mexico border that have coyotes. The foothills down by Trinidad have some as well.

Get away from civilization and find a rancher/farmer. Ask and most will let you go. Go East past Deer Trail at least, maybe farther as Denver continues to grow.

I've had good luck in the National Forest around the Tarryall mountains. You'll find that this time of the year the coyotes are all pretty smart. The Grasslands coyotes get a lot of pressure and are probably running in the other direction when they hear a distress call. Stick to howling and giving each stand more time. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nebraska and South Dakota... that is where ya need to go. No coyotes in Wyoming... GRIN !!

</div></div>

HA!!!
grin.gif

Wyoming is the Spot I hear! Skinney shot all the coyotes in SD!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nebraska and South Dakota... that is where ya need to go. No coyotes in Wyoming... GRIN !!

</div></div>

HA!!!
grin.gif
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDVIC25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of calling are you doing? There has to be dogs around. </div></div>

Couple of jackrabbit squeals every five or so mins and a few mouse chirps if you see one. I don't call much though because I set up on a highway of yotes heading to and from the dump/sheep farm so just waiting with no calls works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDVIC25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of calling are you doing? There has to be dogs around. </div></div>

Couple of jackrabbit squeals every five or so mins and a few mouse chirps if you see one. I don't call much though because I set up on a highway of yotes heading to and from the dump/sheep farm so just waiting with no calls works. </div></div>

^^ this is the way to do it! I'll call you HB next time I'm in CO
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDVIC25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of calling are you doing? There has to be dogs around. </div></div>

Couple of jackrabbit squeals every five or so mins and a few mouse chirps if you see one. I don't call much though because I set up on a highway of yotes heading to and from the dump/sheep farm so just waiting with no calls works. </div></div>

^^ this is the way to do it! I'll call you HB next time I'm in CO
wink.gif
</div></div>

You're welcome anytime bud. Just let me know a few days in advance so I can tell the rancher who owns the land we're coming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen lots of yotes out by Craig and Bluebell, thats a ways from you, but good country. I even managed to shoot <span style="font-style: italic">AT</span> a couple. </div></div>

Bluebell? You mean Maybell?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen lots of yotes out by Craig and Bluebell, thats a ways from you, but good country. I even managed to shoot <span style="font-style: italic">AT</span> a couple. </div></div>

Bluebell? You mean Maybell? </div></div>

Teehee
blush.gif
yessir, that is correct.

There's a bike race up there called "Where the hell's Maybell Colorado?"

Your post made me laugh when I saw it. BFE for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nebraska and South Dakota... that is where ya need to go. No coyotes in Wyoming... GRIN !!

</div></div> lol....me and skinney have seen any in sd either. better check nebraska

I read a post that says the grasslands are a waste of time. No that's not true. You just need to know where to go. I travel out east of Nunn, CO and have really good luck. Yes, if you find a large p-dog town....there's most likely yotes in the area. Another area you can try is in the Poudre Canyon northwest of Ft. Collins. Not only are there yotes but a healthy bobcat population.

The grasslands were no good. Probably overworked. I'm gonna try further north in Wyoming. Good spots? Areas?

I think there are probably alot of good areas in Wyoming, but I have some family around the Gillette area and there is never any shortage of dogs around there, just gotta make sure you get some good maps of where the public lands are, there is a ton of private ground that is tough to get on. The antelope are thick up there too and the ranchers suppliment their income by charging people to hunt it, so it can be difficult to gain access.

Some big ass mulies up there too! I have seen some of the biggest bucks I have ever seen on Highway 50 between Casper and Gillette! I went up in late July, early august for a rifle match up there and driving that road late at night I could not believe the quality and quantity of huge bucks that I saw!!!

Kind of off the topic, but I couldn't help it...those were some big bucks
smile.gif

Which grasslands did you try, I have been wanting to try to get up to comanche and give it a try but havent yet. Wouldnt mind hitting some of the blm out aroud Sagauche.

I tried Pawnee. Probably gonna try Comanche next. It seems that Wyoming isnt as overworked. More public land too. Ill probably go up in a week or two.