• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Competition Events Colorado Rifle Club - Long Range Rimfire Match

Starbuck

Visualize No Hippies
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2009
Boulder County, CO
Match Description:
  • This match is designed to be fast-paced, fun, safe, and to challenge competitors’ practical field shooting skills, such as wind reading, rapid target acquisition, magazine and DOPE changes during shot strings, and optionally, shooting off a tripod.
  • This is not a PRS/NRL style match, so you may shoot prone or from a bench. You may also shoot off a tripod. Each Division will shoot the same COF with the same time limits.
  • There are five arrays of steel targets at 84, 164, 218, 328, and 421 yards. Target sizes are 2-5MOA. There are five targets at each range, except for just two at 421y. All targets at 328 and 421y have Magnetospeed flashers.
  • Course of fire is six 22 shot strings, for a match total of 132 shots.
  • One shot per target. One point per hit, zero points per miss. Perfect score is 132 points.
Equipment Requirements:
  • Bolt action repeater or semi-auto rifle - in .22LR only - with detachable box magazines.
  • Magnified optics with uncapped target turrets. Max magnification >10x.
  • Scope reticle with hash marks for elevation and wind holds.
  • Enough available scope elevation travel and/or holdover values to reach 385m/421y – this is about 22 MILS or 76 MOA in most rifles.
  • 132 rounds ammo, plus what you want to check your zero and DOPE prior to match start.
  • Enough magazines to shoot a 22 shot string, e.g., 5x5, 3x10, or some combination thereof. You will not have enough time to refill mags during your string.
  • Your elevation drop values and wind holds (aka DOPE) for the aforementioned ranges, written down and handy.
  • Bipod, rear bag, and/or other positional support bags, based on personal preference.
  • Tripod, only if you choose to shoot in the Tripod Division.
Match Times, Location, and Fees:

April - November on the 1st Saturday of each month.

Colorado Rifle Club, Byers, CO - Silhouette Range

0730: Target Setup. Assistance is welcome.
0815-0900: Sign in/Check Zero and DOPE.
0900: Shooters' Meeting
0915: Match begins.
1400: Projected end time.

$20.00 Match Fee. $10.00 (Juniors). Cash only.

Important Signup Information:

MANDATORY ADVANCE MATCH SIGNUP REQUIRED via PRACTISCORE.

Link here: https://practiscore.com/clubs/colorado_rifle_club_long_range_rimfire_match

Signup opens approx. 30 days prior to each match.

Match is currently limited to fourteen (14) shooters.

Contact Information:

Email: [email protected]

Last edited:
Sam I’m glad y’all could work something out!! Looking forward to shooting this match!

Sweet. Cant wait to come up.

But, I will have to call in sick from the PRS match in Pueblo.

Too many matches, not enough time.

Awesome match. Thanks for putting this together. Can't wait for next month's. Targets and COF were outstanding. I'm sure you're looking to 'fine tune' it but I think it was a fantastic start. 5/5 stars.

Thanks Jeff. The wind kept our scores down, right? Never our FoM! But it was windy, from 10-2 o'clock all morning with variable speed.

Here's a pic if the 200 and 300m targets - my pics of the 4-500m targets were blurred so I'll have to reshoot 'em next match. The 400m targets look just like the 300s, just further away!
19B72276-9AE6-4503-AA79-71090C8DC954.jpeg

Last edited:
How much would I miss if I left at 12:30? Unfortunately have not been able to get off work.

Good times today. Windy as usual! Scores are in route to the match email list.

Here are some pix of our current target arrays. Missing pix of 77 and 150m. Note the flasher on the 18" square at 385m.

200m:
3234B186-C781-4535-A94B-FD56F1865ED7.jpeg

300m:
6CFA398C-EE67-4645-A3AF-11D27100C28B.jpeg

385m:
C4213A4B-BA5B-496C-A955-750A25AEB336.jpeg

Great match, even with a little summer rain mixed in, had a great day. The 4P was awesome, never get that many rounds in from the tripod. Will see you out there again, thank you Sam!

Been stuck working weekends all year. Going to have to take a sunday in october to come out. Looks awesome.

Reactions: Starbuck
Anyone have any experience with SK High Velocity match? Seems like it could have a niche here, is supersonic 22LR allowed?

Anyone have any experience with SK High Velocity match? Seems like it could have a niche here, is supersonic 22LR allowed?
High Velocity .22 ammo is fine, although no one has been shooting it. I could go into the reasons for this, but a good discussion was started a few years ago here:

"Hyper-velocity" currently is not allowed. I may change my mind in the future, but I would first want to see the effects on our 77 and 150m 1/4" AR500 targets. I have no idea how Hyper-velocity .22 performs at extended ranges, but my guess is not well. Examples would include but are not limited to CCI Stingers, Velocitors, Aguila Super Max Hyper Velocity, and Aguila Interceptors.

Last edited:
Reactions: jLorenzo
High Velocity .22 ammo is fine, although no one has been shooting it. I could go into the reasons for this, but a good discussion was started a few years ago here:

"Hyper-velocity" currently is not allowed. I may change my mind in the future, but I would first want to see the effects on our 77 and 150m 1/4" AR500 targets. I have no idea how Hyper-velocity .22 performs at extended ranges, but my guess is not well. Examples would include but are not limited to CCI Stingers, Velocitors, Aguila Super Max Hyper Velocity, and Aguila Interceptors.
Interesting. Ill have to do some experimenting. I have plinked casually at 300 with mini mags but thats about it, did not try and group them or anything. These guys have a few good long range 22lr videos. He uses Velocitors for his longer stuff.
Here is an excellent video detailing groups at 300y with CCI STD, SK Match, Fed HV Match and Velocitors. Interesting stuff.

Last edited:
Happy 2022!

For season two, this match will now be on the 3rd Saturday, March - October. Only exception is in April, when we will shoot on the fifth Saturday.

Also the Divisions have been simplified: Prone, Bench, or Tripod. If you shoot in the Tripod division you will shoot all six strings off a tripod, from any position except prone, and you can vary the positions from string to string if you want, i.e. sitting, standing , kneeling, but not prone.

First 2022 match is March 19. Registration open March 1. Link in Post #1.

Slots available for this Saturday's match.

Practiscore link in Post #1.
Working again Saturday morning but then heading down to Raton for Sunday's SRM. Really trying to get out to your match. I've shot one match (outlaw match) in the last three+ months. And that one was called due to some insane wind at BRC's North range.

Reactions: Starbuck
Signup open for the July 16 match. Link in Post 1.
We'll have ten new flashers on the 16th, for all of our 300m targets. The 385m targets already have 'em.
05BC2803-12D6-4257-BE53-A9E2FF5FB8BD.jpeg

Three more matches this year - September 17, October 15, and November 5. Registration link in Post #1.

On November 5, the match will move from the third Saturday to the first Saturday, in an effort to accomodate a number of shooters who have had conflicts with other matches on the third Saturday. After November 5, we will resume the matches on April 1, 2023.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
First match of 2023 is April 1, and thereafter monthly on the first Saturday until November 4.

Registration is open. Link in Post 1. Only a few open slots remain.

Couple dudes with FX .22 AGs asked if they could shoot the match, so I said sure. We'll see if they show up.