• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Colors and coatings for camo

Heath_h49008

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2010
Michigan
I was wondering what you guys have noticed is the hardest to see with your gear.

I know Cerakote has the "Stealth" line of coatings now that seem to work well in the vids I have watched... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NovNOF_Qns .... But I was curious what you guys have found is annoyingly neutral by nature of color, or surface that may be a bit more common. I noticed with a cheap monocular that a neighbors primer grey POS car blended into the yard for some reason, but I'm not sure if it was just the dull surface, the color, or the paint itself.

Thanks ahead of time for any info you might have.

Re: Colors and coatings for camo

Exactly.

There is no reason to use a more observable coating that I have to. If I have the option of picking a color or finish that offers better performance day or night, why not use it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeathH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly.

There is no reason to use a more observable coating that I have to. If I have the option of picking a color or finish that offers better performance day or night, why not use it? </div></div>

You do have a very good point. Knowing the IR reflectivity of your coating could be useful. Especially on rifles.

As it gets darker, any coating that increases reflectivity and visibility of a firearm is an aid to safety.

On the other hand, it's also likely to increase NV veilling glare when mounted on a rifle.

Like most things that are primarily military in nature, it takes a little experience and sometimes experimentation to determine it's value for other purposes.

David.

Right now the only night vision project I have on the list is either a CCD or a CMOS sensor and some playing around with filters. I'm curious what I can get for low light/IR illuminated image from a camera designed to take low light photos without a flash. Finding a lux rating is nearly impossible on commercial stuff outside of CCTV cameras. But as a poor college student, that one might have to wait until after I get this rifle built. You guys do some interesting stuff in the Commonwealth with that type of setup, I'm learning. I just cannot afford intensifier tubes on my toy budget. I would rather buy ammo.

If given a choice between a coating that stands out and one that blends in, I want to blend in. I can't imagine anyone NOT making the same choice, if given the option. Polished wall hangers that shoot 20 rnds a year, Pink "Hello Kitty" AR15s, and benchrest hotrods not withstanding, of course. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Reactions: faulk175

The one issue with the Cerakote stealth is that it is a DOJ controlled item. It can only be applied to LEO and Military "for work" projects. All of standard cerakote colors are supposed to have a reduced IR signature, but I have no idea as to how much. If you are looking for a one color solution, based on your Mi. location I would say go with OD and that should serve you well.

I can buy the coated BDUs anywhere, but the German "Ghost" poncho looks a lot better. I'm really impressed with how they blocked thermal. Hiding from NVG/thermal is not high on my list of needs, but how many of us have stuff we may never NEED on the off chance we might?

I'm not looking for anything in particular, just doing the best job I can the first time. The OD or medium grey Cerakote is my first choice right now. It lets me krylon the guns when I want to, and clean it off with carb cleaner. I shoot a monthly run and gun, and the idea of hitting the toys with rattle can suited to the day I go sounds amusing to me. I'm curious how long it will take a couple of my buddies to realize if I keep my mouth shut.

The one issue with the Cerakote stealth is that it is a DOJ controlled item. It can only be applied to LEO and Military "for work" projects. All of standard cerakote colors are supposed to have a reduced IR signature, but I have no idea as to how much. If you are looking for a one color solution, based on your Mi. location I would say go with OD and that should serve you well.

Why

• Haha
Reactions: tnc
7AEEFD1B-CB2A-401A-B9C3-261113A8B8DF.jpeg

Brighter colors in a none standard pattern aka camouflage. Black sticks out like a sore thumb IMO, but is terrain dependent.

Attachments

• 20210527_233903.jpg
    20210527_233903.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 38
To give you some more ideas.

Attachments

• 20210328_231953.jpg
    20210328_231953.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 42
IME, my MultiCam-esque rattlecanning with Aervoe shows noticeable contrast and coloration while under IR, more so than my MultiCam fabric.

Reactions: deersniper