• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colt 6920

MMH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2013
Why are there so many on gunbroker all of a sudden? I know that there is nothing that special about them but it is the 'original' AR carbine.

New Colt is just pumping them out. New cage code marked Colts = Diamondback grade parts.
Who knows where their parts are coming from these days. They definitely don't have the same standards and QC that they used to.
You want a military/duty grade rifle? Look to FN, Geissele, or DD.

New Colt is just pumping them out. New cage code marked Colts = Diamondback grade parts.
Who knows where their parts are coming from these days. They definitely don't have the same standards and QC that they used to.
You want a military/duty grade rifle? Look to FN, Geissele, or DD.
Learn something new. Shows how far out of the loop I am.

I wasn't shopping one anyhow, but will move on to FN for sure if I do.

Yeah, I’d love to know as well. I presume these are post any gov contracts so the quality and testing controls are not in place. I’d be surprised if they are junk rifles but still there’s gotta be someone here who may have some accurate data points for us regarding how and what they’re using to build these recent models.

Reactions: Bakwa
CZ now owns the Colt name. Grab a new Python and you will understand how they ruined a great American company. Cheap bullshit.

Yeah, I’d love to know as well. I presume these are post any gov contracts so the quality and testing controls are not in place. I’d be surprised if they are junk rifles but still there’s gotta be someone here who may have some accurate data points for us regarding how and what they’re using to build these recent models.
I'm sure they're not all total garbage. But you are right in that their QC and strict (expensive) testing procedures aren't the same now that the gov contracts aren't present.
Their quality decline seems to correlate with the time period they switched from C marks to cage codes on their barrels and upper receivers. They definitely weren't the same company post CR serial prefixes on their AR's.
It's sad as I used to think of Colt as a sort of standard in the AR world.

I would like to read some objective comparisons of the 'old' vs the 'new' cage code Colt's.
I purchased on of the new SOCOM models and as far as I'm concerned from an optical standpoint, I see no difference.
Pictures side by side showing quality differences would be helpful rather than blanket statements.
It's acknowledged that the Vietnam Retro Collection rifles were not manufactured by Colt but the manufacture did a nice job.
These rifles fly off GB in the $2+K range but the 6920 rifles trade for around $1K or less.
-Richard

Reactions: Bakwa
I would like to read some objective comparisons of the 'old' vs the 'new' cage code Colt's.
I purchased on of the new SOCOM models and as far as I'm concerned from an optical standpoint, I see no difference.
Pictures side by side showing quality differences would be helpful rather than blanket statements.
It's acknowledged that the Vietnam Retro Collection rifles were not manufactured by Colt but the manufacture did a nice job.
These rifles fly off GB in the $2+K range but the 6920 rifles trade for around $1K or less.
-Richard
There are examples and good sources floating around. That's how I came to my conclusions.
Cage code parts aren't inherently bad. It's a just a mark signifying a different time period in Colt's production processes.
The FBI HRT contract barrels that everyone loves are cage code marked. They seem to be fine; I'm guessing the FBI ordered them according to a particular spec.
I just as a rule will not buy anything Colt from the cage code time period because IDK what QC possesses they kept from their mil contact days. And I certainly won't buy any Colt with a CR serial prefix. Those are garbage and I have antidotal evidence from an agency I used to work for that initially impressed that upon me.

There are a bunch of YT videos and sources on barfcom supporting the changes in Colt as well.

Cheers

Reactions: ELCO82