• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colt 6940 Cutting barrel

justintimesc

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2010
South Carolina
Bought a 6940 last year, and have been wanting to put a suppressor on it and cut the barrel back to 11.5. Any reason not to cut the barrel on that particular rifle?

Re: Colt 6940 Cutting barrel

One reason would be gas port size and suppressor usage.

Seek someone in the know when you start talking suppressed SBR.

you would be better off buying another barrel and HG while you get your SBR stamp.

I wouldn't cut it because it is chrome lined, I second the motion to buy another barrel when your stamp comes in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't cut it because it is chrome lined, I second the motion to buy another barrel when your stamp comes in. </div></div>

The 6940 barrel is proprietary, you cant use a standard AR barrel in the receiver. I've cut down a bunch of them, with no negative effect on the chrome lining.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigbore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't cut it because it is chrome lined, I second the motion to buy another barrel when your stamp comes in. </div></div>

The 6940 barrel is proprietary, you cant use a standard AR barrel in the receiver. I've cut down a bunch of them, with no negative effect on the chrome lining. </div></div>

Thats what I was looking for. I got a friend that just cut his 6940, but doesn't have enough rounds through it yet to tell anything. Can you go any shorter than 11.5 or would you just leave it at that. Also new to the whole subsonic supressor thing. Is there any subsonic load for 223 that will cycle the bolt? Anyone wanna recommend a can? I got one in mind, but tell me why you like yours.

On a similar note I have a Colt 20 " chrome lined barrel that is not threaded (Colt sporter target), would it be okay to thread the barrel or would that damage the chrome lining at the crown?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justintimesc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigbore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't cut it because it is chrome lined, I second the motion to buy another barrel when your stamp comes in. </div></div>

The 6940 barrel is proprietary, you cant use a standard AR barrel in the receiver. I've cut down a bunch of them, with no negative effect on the chrome lining. </div></div>

Thats what I was looking for. I got a friend that just cut his 6940, but doesn't have enough rounds through it yet to tell anything. Can you go any shorter than 11.5 or would you just leave it at that. Also new to the whole subsonic supressor thing. Is there any subsonic load for 223 that will cycle the bolt? Anyone wanna recommend a can? I got one in mind, but tell me why you like yours. </div></div>

You can go as short as 10.5", but the longer the better for reliability. I recommend no shorter than 11.5". No sub-sonic .223 will cycle the action that I know of. I'd suggest a .22 conversion for that - basically the same thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sandbogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a similar note I have a Colt 20 " chrome lined barrel that is not threaded (Colt sporter target), would it be okay to thread the barrel or would that damage the chrome lining at the crown? </div></div>

Threading that barrel will not hurt anything.

So this means that no barrel other than colt will fit in the reciever-Krieger, Bartlein etc? I was thinking about buying a 6940 for three gun and putting a shorter barrel on it.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eng07</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So this means that no barrel other than colt will fit in the reciever-Krieger, Bartlein etc?
Thanks. </div></div>

Correct, unless you have the replacement barrel built with the Colt 6940 barrel extension, which I really doubt Colt will be selling separately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigbore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've cut down a bunch of them, with no negative effect on the chrome lining. </div></div>Good to know, I have read a bunch about the potential for "chrome flaking" but never read about it actually happening.

Crap- I have a Colt Accurized CR 6724- I wonder if I can replace the barrel in thatwith a Krieger? Or will it have the same problem as the 6940?

Oops. Bigbore is likely correct.

In my post I missed the 6940 for 6920. My bad.

Ok. Just got off the phone with Colt. The lady said that the barrels on the 6940 are interchangeable- but the reciever and the tool to change the barrel are proprietary. I specifcally asked if I bought a 6940 and shot the barrel out of it, would I need to send it to Colt only for a new barrel or could I replace it with a mil spec Krieger etc and she said that is possible. The same is true for the CR6724 I own as well. The barrels are interchangeable with other manufacturers. She said the tool needed to change the barrel in the 6940 is proprietary. For what its worth.