• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colt AR-15 ???s

tommy13gun

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2012
I was inquiring about purchasing Colt AR (used) I thought the price was extremely high. $1700
He told me to look it up and verify. The only way I have to look it up, is to ask you guys on the forum.
Rifle: Colt's Law Enforcement Carbine
Cal. 5.56
S/N DE 092285
Could someone share some light on about what this rifle is worth
Cosmetically great,,, have no idea of round count,, (he says under 500)
Looks to be M-4,,, 15" barrel, collaspable stock, matte finish. This is all I can tell about this rifle. I saw no model #
Thanks

Where is the model #? I wrote down everything I saw on the receiver.

You can call Colt and give them the serial number to find out 800-962-2658. They are usually most helpful. If the seller still has the box, the model number might be noted on it.

You may be able to use this search tool on their website to gain info.
Colt Firearm Serial Number Lookup - Year of Manufacture

A bigger Colt aficionado than me might be able to help you more.

A picture would help. It could easily be worth that if it has a mid to high end optic on it. If it is a bone stock 6920 it can be had new for less than 1/2 of what he is asking. The guy could have bought it during the ban scare. I saw fools paying 3-4 times the pre scare rate but prices have subsided. GH

If it is a bone stock 6920 it can be had new for less than 1/2 of what he is asking.

^^^This^^^ I bought a 6920 for $1k and it was a piece of crap, the machining was horrible and the upper wobbled on the lower. I had realistic expectations and it was noticeably lower than that. For $1700 you can get a PWS (very highly recommended). Good luck and DO NOT spend $1700 on a Colt.

Ok I'm trying I figure out where you can buy a 6920 for less than half of $1700 new. I have a 6920 and it's a nice gun for $1000. Depends on the model and which accessories as to if this one is worth $1700.

Maybe not a 6920 for less than half, but a 6900 you can find at half fairly easily. Colt Light Carbine 5.56 16 in. Barrel You can find them on some pretty good sales as well, probably coming up for the 4th we will see 6920s for $900, it's happened before.

There is absolutely no way I would pay over $1200 for a Colt of any flavor, and I'm talking about top of the line. Their good name expired for me long ago, and Daniel Defense has replaced them for the kings of hard use ARs in my book.

Daniel Defense, LMT, BCM, Noveske, etc, etc, all have top of the line firearms as well. $1700 is a lot for a Colt Carbine. Thats coming from someone who has a LE6920 SOCOM and a SOCOM II upper. You can get a complete Colt rifle for much less.

Ok I'm trying I figure out where you can buy a 6920 for less than half of $1700 new. I have a 6920 and it's a nice gun for $1000. Depends on the model and which accessories as to if this one is worth $1700.

Right now 6920's can be had mid/high 8's. Half of $1700 is $850 so there you go.... He'll PSA sold some for memorial day sale for like $699. They have the CSR at that price now but Colt AR's and all AR's are getting cheaper by the week

The $899 was the 3 day or so deal. They had them for a little bit at $699. There are a few companies that have the 6920's right now for $899.

OP your friend is most likely trying to dump his panic purchase on an unsuspecting buyer.

I agree wit everyone else. The asking price is almost double what i've seen new 6920's go for. Imo Colt's QC fit and finish has gone way down in the last few years. For that money i'd be looking at a new DD, LMT, BCM, PWS or for a few $$$ more a Noveske, my favorite.

CDNN and PSA both had recent sales on Colts, The PSA Colt that's 699 is not made by Colt but a licensed build rifle from some company in Texas. Last year CDNN sold some Police trade in Colts for 749.00 shipped with a couple 30 round mags. There at least a dozen Colt M69XX carbines on AR15.Com's EE for around 900 to 1200, many with sights and upgrades like KAC RAS hand guards and such. Wait a few weeks and sign up for CDNN, PSA, Aim Surplus, DSG, Primary Arms, Midway USA email alerts and you'll see a ton of sales come up for the 4th starting in a couple weeks. For 1700 you should be able to buy a rifle, and two or three cases of ammo and ten Pmags or other quality mags. I don't think your friend is doing you a favor by asking that much fot his rifle, it could be he's in to deep because he bought it in the panic last year as others have said but that does not mean you are responsible to ease his pain.

CDNN and PSA both had recent sales on Colts, The PSA Colt that's 699 is not made by Colt but a licensed build rifle from some company in Texas. Last year CDNN sold some Police trade in Colts for 749.00 shipped with a couple 30 round mags. There at least a dozen Colt M69XX carbines on AR15.Com's EE for around 900 to 1200, many with sights and upgrades like KAC RAS hand guards and such. Wait a few weeks and sign up for CDNN, PSA, Aim Surplus, DSG, Primary Arms, Midway USA email alerts and you'll see a ton of sales come up for the 4th starting in a couple weeks. For 1700 you should be able to buy a rifle, and two or three cases of ammo and ten Pmags or other quality mags. I don't think your friend is doing you a favor by asking that much fot his rifle, it could be he's in to deep because he bought it in the panic last year as others have said but that does not mean you are responsible to ease his pain.

The current $699 is the Bold Ideas Colt and is probably a good gun. We did some work at the plant in Breckenridge and was rewarded with a good price on the CR Pro18 gun and its damn nice. When Palmetto had the 6920's for $899 the other day they dropped them to $699 for a bit. There is a thread about it somewhere on their section at AR15com.

Either way it does not matter but what does matter is the prices are kicking to the floor. Stock up on them while they are cheap because its coming again....

Does it have the restricted for law enforcement stamped on there?

Those seem to fetch a little more but not $1700 IMO.

^^^This^^^ I bought a 6920 for $1k and it was a piece of crap, the machining was horrible and the upper wobbled on the lower. I had realistic expectations and it was noticeably lower than that. For $1700 you can get a PWS (very highly recommended). Good luck and DO NOT spend $1700 on a Colt.

The Mil-STD and TDP calls for the upper-to-lower fit be such that a soldier can easily push out the take down pin without tools. It's not an accident that Colt AR15's are that way. It doesn't mean it's a piece of crap, and there are hardly any rifles that have the parts pedigree that Colt's do.

I'm not a Colt fanboy, and I don't own any complete rifles from them. The only Colt stuff I have is from surplus parts kits from export M16A1's, and whatever I can find that was made between 1961 and 1970. Even those parts exceed the "standards" that I commonly see in the AR15 industry.

Colt parts alone are worth 150% to 200% of imitation parts on the market in most cases, whether talking about detents, springs, hammers, triggers, bolt carriers, bolts, pins, uppers, etc. Lowers usually command 300%-800% value compared to others, depending on when they were made.

To describe a Colt as a "piece of crap" is way off the mark in terms of the actual materials sourcing, manufacturing processes, and certifications/proofing that goes into a Colt rifle versus one of the other alphabet vismods. There are precious few companies that even come close to the parts and assembly methods that go into a Colt.

I used to buy into the hype that they were simply made by the lowest bidder, until I started taking other company's rifles into harsh conditions and running them in high volume, at which point things you would never expect to break or corrode, did. I never had any problems with Colt M16A1's, M16A2's, M4's, or M4A1's in the Army, and my experience with them spanned the extreme climates of Korea to Panama, all over the US, and the Middle East, in field conditions as a combat arms soldier who lived in the mud/ice/snow/dust, not in a tent in the rear with the gear.

The Colt-produced AR15 is one of the most well-engineered, bugs worked out, viable, successful assault rifle designs in the world. There really aren't any rifles that come near it in terms of the design, engineering, improvements, and continued advancement to make it as optimal of a rifle/carbine as possible. What you see on the shelves at your local gun store may look like AR15's, but they share really nothing in common with the Colt-produced guns, other than being black and having parts that were made to look and be as dimensionally similar as possible.

There are a few companies that have obtained the TDP and actually followed it, who are the exceptions. Just looking over it would really open your eyes as to what's really different between a Mil-spec gun and the rest. Name any part, and there is a laundry list you have never heard of in respect to materials, min/max dims, metallurgy, surface hardness, assembly methods, inspections, and proofing/QC. That includes everything from the Cadmium-plated detents, to the grade of wire for the springs. It specifies the softness of the carrier key, to the hardness of the upper receiver and Moly-resin that is sprayed and baked on inside the upper.

Talk to 98% of the AR15 "manufacturers" at SHOT Show, and they will look you in the eyes with complete ignorance about everything I mentioned above, to include many of the companies that have fad-like followings because of one or two unique features to their brand

For the money, I really can't see how Colt is offering their AR15's on the market for the prices they do. Go piece one together using only Colt parts on Brownell's and see what happens to your cart. The 6920 is one of the best deals on the market right now. It is light years ahead of anything else in that price range, other than piecing together a BCM or DD carbine.

The Mil-STD and TDP calls for the upper-to-lower fit be such that a soldier can easily push out the take down pin without tools.

The Colt-produced AR15 is one of the most well-engineered, bugs worked out, viable, successful assault rifle designs in the world.

I pretty much agree with everything above when considering the M-16 I carried for uncle sugar, it wasn't pretty but it worked. The 6920 I bought several years ago was noticeably sloppier than my issue M-16 from active duty. I would be curious to see if Colt claims the same Mil-STD and TDP standards are applied to their 6920's that they sell to Wally World and Buds etc because the one I had seemed different.

For the money, I really can't see how Colt is offering their AR15's on the market for the prices they do.

Well, basically all the engineering, tooling, and validation have been subsidized by the US taxpayer, and Colt passes on some of those savings. Considering the amount that the IRS has removed from my bank account, I'll gladly accept any discounts I can get!

FWIW, the military pays anywhere from ~$650 (FN, Remington) to ~$1200 (Colt) per M4, according to publicly-available information. Considering the relative simplicity of an AR-pattern rifle compared to other consumer durable goods (automotive engines & transmissions, etc.), it's a screaming bargain only by government standards. My guess is that even the lower end of the pricing range reflects a very healthy profit, as I do not believe that any of these companies are in the business of providing charity work.

As an aside I confirmed a zero the other week with an ACOG and 2 groups of 5 w/ home rolled 77s and a bone stock 6920 - except it a FF. Both groups were sub MOA.

A while back Sinster was encouraging folks looking for an SPR to consider a CL 1:7 20" Colt. I have noted that those upper pop up occasionally at a good price too.

ETA - I love typing on iPads....

Last edited:
The Mil-STD and TDP calls for the upper-to-lower fit be such that a soldier can easily push out the take down pin without tools. It's not an accident that Colt AR15's are that way. It doesn't mean it's a piece of crap, and there are hardly any rifles that have the parts pedigree that Colt's do.

I'm not a Colt fanboy, and I don't own any complete rifles from them. The only Colt stuff I have is from surplus parts kits from export M16A1's, and whatever I can find that was made between 1961 and 1970. Even those parts exceed the "standards" that I commonly see in the AR15 industry.

Colt parts alone are worth 150% to 200% of imitation parts on the market in most cases, whether talking about detents, springs, hammers, triggers, bolt carriers, bolts, pins, uppers, etc. Lowers usually command 300%-800% value compared to others, depending on when they were made.

To describe a Colt as a "piece of crap" is way off the mark in terms of the actual materials sourcing, manufacturing processes, and certifications/proofing that goes into a Colt rifle versus one of the other alphabet vismods. There are precious few companies that even come close to the parts and assembly methods that go into a Colt.

I used to buy into the hype that they were simply made by the lowest bidder, until I started taking other company's rifles into harsh conditions and running them in high volume, at which point things you would never expect to break or corrode, did. I never had any problems with Colt M16A1's, M16A2's, M4's, or M4A1's in the Army, and my experience with them spanned the extreme climates of Korea to Panama, all over the US, and the Middle East, in field conditions as a combat arms soldier who lived in the mud/ice/snow/dust, not in a tent in the rear with the gear.

The Colt-produced AR15 is one of the most well-engineered, bugs worked out, viable, successful assault rifle designs in the world. There really aren't any rifles that come near it in terms of the design, engineering, improvements, and continued advancement to make it as optimal of a rifle/carbine as possible. What you see on the shelves at your local gun store may look like AR15's, but they share really nothing in common with the Colt-produced guns, other than being black and having parts that were made to look and be as dimensionally similar as possible.

There are a few companies that have obtained the TDP and actually followed it, who are the exceptions. Just looking over it would really open your eyes as to what's really different between a Mil-spec gun and the rest. Name any part, and there is a laundry list you have never heard of in respect to materials, min/max dims, metallurgy, surface hardness, assembly methods, inspections, and proofing/QC. That includes everything from the Cadmium-plated detents, to the grade of wire for the springs. It specifies the softness of the carrier key, to the hardness of the upper receiver and Moly-resin that is sprayed and baked on inside the upper.

Talk to 98% of the AR15 "manufacturers" at SHOT Show, and they will look you in the eyes with complete ignorance about everything I mentioned above, to include many of the companies that have fad-like followings because of one or two unique features to their brand

For the money, I really can't see how Colt is offering their AR15's on the market for the prices they do. Go piece one together using only Colt parts on Brownell's and see what happens to your cart. The 6920 is one of the best deals on the market right now. It is light years ahead of anything else in that price range, other than piecing together a BCM or DD carbine.

What a great post. Folks come to my M4 Marksmanship Course with all sorts of commercial equivalents of the Colt M4, like those from DPMS, Windham, Bushmaster, Delton, Daniel Defense, and all the other usual suspects. The one thing that stands out with Colt is the ease with which they can be zeroed. Why? Their barrels are straightened. My experience is typically 2 clicks down on the front sight post from an initial condition where flange of post is flush with deck of base gets a good 300 meter zero when the rear sight is bottomed to 6/3.

The 6920 LEO model is not worth $1700 just on its own. Optics/trigger upgrade etc could possibly justify that price though.

I would spend $1700 on the Colt CRP-18. You can get them on gunbroker now for that price range. Check them out. It's a Colt Competition rifle made by the folks in Texas. Comes with a Giessele SSA (not sure on model), finger adjustable rifle length gas system, 18" fluted barrel, matched upper/lower combo, and a host od other extras. Also guaranteed MOA with test target included for whatever that's worth to you. I used to have one, and it was a shooter. Currently thinking about getting another one for 3 Gun.

Colt makes good rifles in general, but as another poster said better than me, they may not seem like match grade rifles due to the loose fitting uppers, but there is a good reason for that. Nonetheless, the 6920 LEO is not worth $1700.

Good googa-mooga, back in the 90s the unit cost on a Colt M16A2 was $345 if I'm remembering right!

And a gallon of milk was $2.00, a gallon of gas was $0.85, and an ounce of gold was $385. Seems the $900 Colt 6920 is a bargain, relative to a few other commodities.

Last edited:
$1700 was what they (6920s) were selling for locally (Maryland) in the height of the craziness spring 2013. So he might have paid that much, but they are not going for that now.

Local shop has 6921s (HBAR, which is the only legal type in MD right now) for $995 new, and $780 for LE trade in (restricted marked).

Last fall I bought a Colt LE 6920 M4 for $1049. Then I added a Geissele SSA-E trigger for $240. Then a Bushnell AR/223 scope with 4.5-18x40mm zoom for $174. Then it just wasn't accurate enough for me so I got a WOA complete 18" varmint upper with 1 in 7" twist and paid an extra $100 to have WOA flute the barrel. The upper cost a total including shipping $735. Now it shoots less than 1/2" five shot groups at 100 yds. which makes me "tickled pink".

I have not decided if I will sell the original Colt upper yet.

Anyway my point is that these things are almost as bad as a Jeep. The $1700 price of tommy13gun's AR might include a lot of add on options.

Attachments

• WOA BARREL END .JPG
    WOA BARREL END .JPG
    557.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 5 shots 65 gr.7:16%22  .JPG
    5 shots 65 gr.7:16%22 .JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 16
  • new upper .JPG
    new upper .JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: