• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Colt SAA in 44-40

emt_jaybird

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2011
Katy, TX
SO I am on a fact finding mission and am not sure this forum will help, but i figured, what the heck. My dad dropped the hint to me the other day that he has always wanted a pair of Colt SAA cartridge revolvers in 44-40. Now I am way out of my "limited" expertise in this area.
What I know: 1.He wants Colt.
2. He was as vintage as he can get (I know they can get up in price, and I am a working man, but if I can swing it for him I'd like to.)
3. He will probably shoot them a couple of times, but it is more for a display purpose.
4. As close to matching serial numbers as I can find.

If you guys can push me in the right direction that would be great.
Thanks.

Well, you can order new Gen 3 SAA's direct from Colt's custom shop (through a dealer) and you'll have the matching sequential serial numbers and the most reasonable cost option. Here's a pair just listed on one of the "ripoff sites" Unique One of a Kind Colt SAA 44-40 Consecutively Numbered Pair - Colt Single Action Army - 3rd. Revolvers You can pick up nice Gen 2's for around $1500 if you keep an eye on the Cowboy Actions, SASS, or Cowboy fast draw websites although they won't be consecutive serials unless you just have crazy luck . You'll have to shop the collectors for find a pair with sequential serials and plan to pay $5000 or so for a good pair. Gen 1's are 100yrs. old and to find in great condition are $3500 to $5000 (or more) and I can't imagine what that would run you, $20,000? I have two Gen 2's that I bought off the boards here................picked up one and then a couple weeks later another one showed up. I had matching stag horn grips made and have a great rig, but shoot mine and enjoy them that way...............not a collector at all. I do love shooting the "Peacemaker".................toss up with the 1911.