• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft combat boots?

benchmstr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
CEO Team waffle house
i need a new pair bad, and dont know what to get...

been wearing a pair a blackhawks, and a pair of rocky's for over a year now and they have seen better day...could go with the same boots because what i was wearing worked...but i know there are better options out there

got a new pair of oakleys in my closet but i live in south texas, and oakleys arent the best boots for keeping your feet at a decent temp..

so...what you guys recomend?

Re: combat boots?

Stay away from Magnums and Converse. Danners will get the #1 vote around here. I have two sets. Got the USMC Hot Weather boots about 3 years ago. A good cleaning makes em look like they just came out the box...sort of. Also just got a set of their "Combat Hikers". Heaviest damn hikers I have ever seen. Both comfortable as hell. My buddy got the same hikers and in his words "wore the shit out of them" during his year in A-stan.

Heard some good stuff with the Altama brand. Dont take this the wrong way, but by asking for combat boots, are these going to be used for an actual deployment? Reason I ask is it can narrow down your choices, or widen them. Most folks on deployment avoid side-zip boots since the risk of the zipper breaking is not acceptable in the field. Whatever you pick, personal experience has taught me that whatever you choose, they should feel good on your feet right off the bat.

First and above all you need roughed up leather and not suede. It's a bitch to maintain and in the end it will look like shit after it collects every stain in the world on it.

Danners are great. Altamas are good too. I still have both of mine after 8 years of service.

I got the Bates M9. They don't breathe well from the ankle up. But are light and comfortable. Just wish the upper was more breathable.

+1 Danner. The TPX Rough Out Hot. Two years in the desert and countless miles under them, all smiles. When the pair I'm wearing fall apart, I will get another pair and run them until the soles fall off.

I wear the Blackhawk warriorwear spec ops. I wear mine everyday on duty in the So. Tx brush. I'v had 3 pairs of Oakleys and all 3 fell apart after 3-4 months. Danners are great, but heavy. If you walk alot, don't get the danners

I wore the uninsulated goretex black leather belleville combat boots for several years working as a surveyor. Wet muddy and rocky every day of the year. They were as comfortable as my Danners that looked almost identical. They were also much cheaper than the danners. The pair of danners that I wore barely lasted a year and were $225. Belleville, same comfort level and lasted longer for $135

Take a look at the Meindl boots at Cabelas. They are good boots also

For long wearing-durable-work type boots I'd recommend White's Boots or Nicks(which are totally rebuildable). I've had several pairs of danners, but the last couple just haven't worn/lasted well.

I recently purchased a pair of kennetrek boots. They came extremely highly rated-but these are the thinsulate version and with 90degree temps...it will probably be a week or three before I try them out. Yes spendy...but as with most things-ya gets what ya pays for.

ended up getting another pair of blackhawkes....looked really hard at the danners, but they dont offer what i was looking for in a black boot...

i am going to order a pair of the danner desert tfx gtx mojaves for off duty though...

If you were looking for duty boots, the 5.11s are hard to pass up. I know your already covered now, but if you wear out duty boots like I do, you could get a good 12-18 months out of 5.11s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you were looking for duty boots, the 5.11s are hard to pass up. I know your already covered now, but if you wear out duty boots like I do, you could get a good 12-18 months out of 5.11s. </div></div>
i looked at those too...almost got them, if i saw them in person i might have pulled the trigger..but i was looking at a computer screen..

goddamn you internet!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McLarenRoss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive got Bates and Bellville and they are both good boots. Im too cheap to buy $300 Danners though. Ill probably go with Bates again when there are work out. </div></div>
i have a $70 pair of bates that i have been rocking since i was 20 years old in the police academy...i am 25 now and the bastards are still good...love those things...when they shit out they will receive a proper viking funeral!

I love my oakley boots. Haven't had them long but they are way more comfortable than my bates and original swat boots.

I'm wearing Rocky S2V boots right now, and I'm more than satisfied. They are a HUGE improvement from anything I've ever seen from Rocky in the past. I use Smart Wool lightweight hiker socks daily and its a perfect combination. I think I paid around $170 for them through AAFES. Worth it.

+1 on the 5.11s. Wore a pair for 7 months out in AQ-Stan. Besides the 1stSgt loosing his mind everyday when he saw me wearing them they were the best boots I have found to date for my uses. I had a pair of the blackhawks you have and the soles seperated in one days use. Yes one days use. I know that is probably an Isolated incident but it put a bad taste in my mouth.

The only issue I had with my 5.11s was the laces. The outer coyoted covering on the laces failed after about 5 months leaving the inner white cord showing. They still laced up though.

I've put a lot of hours standing and miles traveled on my gore-tex bellvilles over the last 7 years and they are still kicking ass. Danners are amazing but I cant complain about my bellvilles and they are cheaper than Danners.

For a lighter desert style boot, I've had great experience with Garmont T-8's. Very comfortable with reduced shock to the foot. THey wear very well and look new after a lot of use.

Don't know what size you wear but I have a new pair of Danner USMC desert boots in size 10M I will ship for $125.00, or trade for 10.5 size.

The Marine RAT boot is awesome. They are made by a couple companies, Danner being the ones i would go for. THey are all good though... and dont believe the hype about the Bates recall.... I own a pair of the recalled boots and they are stout.

i wore my oakley 6.5's all through my tour in iraq, and still wore em in garrison until 1sg got into me for em.

Rocky SV2 if you think you need a pair of combat boots, otherwise Asolo's or Merrell's for me.

I vote Rocky SV2 as well. I have had some serious foot injuries over the years, torn tendons in both, one had it twice, completely lost the arches and now I have flat feet. The SV2's will not let you roll over without alot of effort and they are flat on the bottom, like my feet, and are the only shoes I can wear pain free for more than 5-6 hours. I have had them on as long as 20 hours with no issues, but usually only 14 or so on long days. Not too hot, not cold either and last awhile. Even with a toe with a crushed joint and 3 fractures they were doable. Getting that fixed Weds btw. not looking forward to it. But the boots hurt less than the tennis shoes. Glad I found them. My Danner TSX's fell apart in few months. many others in my unit had the same problem, except the ones that didn't get them wet. Lots of people dick ridin' the danners, and their stuff is usually 100% but the TSX seems to have some bugs that need worked out in the materials section of the sole material thats not the vibram, but the spongey part. They were very comfortable though while they lasted, but not as good/comfortable as the Rocky.

I am currently wearing my Oakleys over here but I also alternate with my Blackhawk and Danner boots.
I have had the Blackhawk boots for over two years. They show the wear from a year long deployment and abuse but they have held up pretty good. You just have to take care of them like any other piece of kit.

If you like a boot that is made like a boot instead of a sneaker, then I recommend the Corcoran Field Boot. I've been wearing mine for several years at work and have no complaints, other than they are not waterproof.

If you like a boot that is made like a sneaker, then I recommend the Adidas GSG 9.2

You can't go wrong with Danner either. Probably the best boots made, but they are pricey.

I've been through just about every brand of boot out there. For summer I wear Oakley SI 8". The only problem I have had is the inside lining at the heel tearing out which is pry more or less a sizing/lacing issue.

I wear Danner Telsons for the winter. I had to switch from my beloved 5.11 XPRT patrol because they have been discontinued. They still make the XPRT tactical which is what I would recommend. I however need a polishable toe which cannot be achieved with the XPRT tactical.

I recently found a surplus store with new in box combat leathers for $60 (BX at the AFB in Tucson wanted over $100) and brought a pair home. Did the normal scrub with saddle soap, cooked a couple generous coats of mink oil into them, then a couple days later started with the black kiwi. I had almost forgotten how much I liked these boots in the late 90's; now my bellevilles and underarmor boots are suffering a slow, dark, quiet death in the bottom of the coat closet. Gonna take them for a brisk walk tonight after dinner with a 45# ruck to make sure they are properly broken in.

sneaker type boots: Nike, wear mine all day great to ruck, walk in whatever. they are very light and have held up to army life for awhile now...

more traditional style look into the Rockies tuff as nails. alot heavier but still comfy

just my 2cents

Danners last the longest of any boot that I have own. Rockey sv2 are very good also. Both are made in the USA. Don't buy the China crap boots that both companys offer.

Just recieved my Danner Combat Hikers. Rugged and comfortable. Top notch!!

I've been using the Lowa Zephyr boots in both mid and hi lenghts here is Afghanistan and they are awesome. Light and durable, but I would recommend changing out the laces. I replaced mine with the ones you can buy at REI.

Don't overlook swat boot they are cheap and comfortable they don't have the life span for danners or altimas but before they crap out they're nice.

+1 on Danner. First pair lasted me 6 years. New pair is a year old and barely broke in. Well worth the money. Plus you can get them recrafted by Danner for a nominal fee.

I am looking on Lowa Zephyr Hi on internet and I feel it is the right boot for me.

But I dont have any local seller around here so I can try the fit. So, I ask for anyone who wear them:

1- I wear 10M on a Altama Exospeed II with midweight socks and it fits perfect (as with all my running shoes with light socks). Should I order a 10M on Lowa Zephyr GTX HI boots too? Or a 1/2 size bigger?
I read in some places that they may be a little smaller...

2- What is the size (long) of the laces I may replace for it?
As they seem to be a little long as they come.

Thanks for any help.

LRCampos.

The Danner Marine Corps Mountain boot is the best boot I have ever worn.I am a huge Danner fan but these are hands down the BEST boots I have ever worn

Desert TFX®, Hot Uniform Boots featuring A-TACS Camo, $170.00 USD

We started with our battle-proven Desert TFX™ boots and added the most advanced desert camo pattern. The result: a powerful new ally for the modern operator. Every angle of the new Danner Desert TFX® features revolutionary new A-TACS camouflage – including the multi-directional outsoles. And like every boot in the TFX line, it features Danner’s patented, lightweight TERRA FORCE® X system for uncompromising stability and support.

Boot Details
Highly durable, moisture-wicking spacer mesh lining offers breathable comfort in a non-waterproof package
1000 Denier nylon upper material is extremely resistant to abrasions, tears, and scuffs, improves breathability, and dries quickly
A-TACS unique "pattern within a pattern" technology and range of inter-mingled natural colors and shapes offer superior camouflaging for military and law enforcement concealment needs
TERRA FORCE® X platform provides lightweight, durable traction, heel-to-toe energy transfer, side support to enhance maneuverability, and protection from arch overwork and fatigue
Sleek, low volume profile with ample toe room provides serious support and comfort
Speed lace system for a quick, secure fit
Approach TFX lightweight outsole provides improved acceleration, downhill braking, and side hill traction. Beveled lugs prevent debris build-up
Nylon shank
8" height
56 oz
Imported

http://www.danner.com/boots/desert-tfxr-rough-out-hot-military-boots-25984.html

Check out as solo's they only last about a year if you use them everyday bit they are
Iight,goretex, have a nice shank and vibram sole.