• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Combining mixed batch powders

capreppy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2011
Princeton, TX
I have several powders where the powder has been purchased over time and are of course will be different lots.

Is mixing the powders so any variance between the different lots is eliminated an option?

Specifically would like to do this for H335 and possibly HP-38.

It won't hurt anything, other than breaking the seal on a bunch of powder. Only issue is if there was a recall on a certain lot number, and its one ypu mixed, its all junk.

It won't hurt anything, other than breaking the seal on a bunch of powder. Only issue is if there was a recall on a certain lot number, and its one ypu mixed, its all junk.

Good call to check on recalls. I'd definitely check that first. The powders are a few years old so any recalls should have been identified at this point.

With the H335, I have an opened 8# jug, an unopened 8# jug and several 1# canisters. Unfortunately, all are from different lots. It would just provide more consistency for me if they are mixed. I've not seen anything to the contrary, but definitely wanted to do another sanity check before I started down this rabbit hole.

You can do it, but make sure it is Very well Mixed! then if you have to put it more than one container, be sure and mark the containers with the lot #s that you mixed. Rework/recheck your loads. When you get more powder, don't just add it to your mixed lots, wait until you use up your mixin's. Keep track!

Varget, for instance, seems to have been so scarce at times (like now) that some of us were reduced to buying a pound here, two pounds there, another pound there etc. that the only way to get a decent amount of a consistent "lot", so to speak, was to mix it all up. Various lots of Varget used to be so different that it was definitely worthwhile to mix it up into one "lot" just so we didn't have to recheck/re-tune loads every other pound or so.

You can do it, but make sure it is Very well Mixed! then if you have to put it more than one container, be sure and mark the containers with the lot #s that you mixed. Rework/recheck your loads. When you get more powder, don't just add it to your mixed lots, wait until you use up your mixin's. Keep track!

Varget, for instance, seems to have been so scarce at times (like now) that some of us were reduced to buying a pound here, two pounds there, another pound there etc. that the only way to get a decent amount of a consistent "lot", so to speak, was to mix it all up. Various lots of Varget used to be so different that it was definitely worthwhile to mix it up into one "lot" just so we didn't have to recheck/re-tune loads every other pound or so.

I remember from years past that Varget lot to lot differences were pretty bad.

My intent is to load up and use all the powder at once. I plan to load 4k 60gr Vmax with the H335. That'll go through everything I have in stock (both powder and projectiles). Hoping that'll last me till this crap ends and I'll load up again next year. I literally "found" the 4k 60r Vmax when sorting through all my stock. I have downtime at work so hoping I can get all of that loaded over the next couple of weeks. I am just about done prepping all the 223 brass that I'll be using.

Ive saw guys gripe about varget lot to lot consistency. I tested it out with 5 different lot numbers, same load of 44.0gr varget and 175smk in 308. Bullets, primers and brass from same lot. Loaded up 5 rds of each lot number. I shot 1 rd of each lot into, 5rds total, into groups. Es and ave was within 3fps of my original load with original lot number. I never bothered to blend lots.

My intent is to load up and use all the powder at once. I plan to load 4k 60gr Vmax with the H335. That'll go through everything I have in stock (both powder and projectiles). Hoping that'll last me till this crap ends and I'll load up again next year. I literally "found" the 4k 60r Vmax when sorting through all my stock. I have downtime at work so hoping I can get all of that loaded over the next couple of weeks. I am just about done prepping all the 223 brass that I'll be using.

I'd probably start by loading up a handful from each lot and test them to make sure they're all safe, and get an idea what the performance difference might be. Then I would just start loading with one lot until I ran out of it, then move on to the second lot, etc. and make notes on which rounds were loaded with which lot.

I always get a little nervous about how thorough my mixing is for my "slop" cans (where I dump the odds and ends from lots of powder) before i load out of them. I've come up with some pretty harebrained schemes that at least make me feel like they're blended well 😂

I wouldn’t mix powders because of age difference which can effect the burn rate. Even if I buy a new pound of the same powder, with the same or not the same lot # i start 5 % below and work my way back up watching for signs of pressure

As an example:

I have 6 lots of IMR4064. I have loads developed with 3 of them. Lot A requires my Redding BR-30 micrometer to be set at 57.5 for peak accuracy and throws an average of 41.7 grains. Lot B requires the micrometer to be set at 57.5 as well BUT that setting throws an average of 42.2 grains. Lot C needs the micrometer to be set at 59, yet it throws only 41.7 grains. All three produce best accuracy between 2600 and 2640 FPS.

The first three lots all have different bulk density and burning rates. The remaining three lots are similar to Lots B and C. Lot D, for example, is similar to Lot B in bulk density but needs a bit more weight to achieve peak accuracy. I haven’t tested accuracy with Lots E and F for accuracy but they throw light with the same micrometer setting, just like Lot C.

If I were to mix them, I would mix the lots having similar bulk densities.

I'd probably start by loading up a handful from each lot and test them to make sure they're all safe, and get an idea what the performance difference might be. Then I would just start loading with one lot until I ran out of it, then move on to the second lot, etc. and make notes on which rounds were loaded with which lot.

I always get a little nervous about how thorough my mixing is for my "slop" cans (where I dump the odds and ends from lots of powder) before i load out of them. I've come up with some pretty harebrained schemes that at least make me feel like they're blended well 😂

I plan on doing load development once mixed. Want some level of accuracy, but not a BR shooter either.

I wouldn’t mix powders because of age difference which can effect the burn rate. Even if I buy a new pound of the same powder, with the same or not the same lot # i start 5 % below and work my way back up watching for signs of pressure

A concern I have noted. The powders I do have are within the same two years (maybe three)

As an example:

I have 6 lots of IMR4064. I have loads developed with 3 of them. Lot A requires my Redding BR-30 micrometer to be set at 57.5 for peak accuracy and throws an average of 41.7 grains. Lot B requires the micrometer to be set at 57.5 as well BUT that setting throws an average of 42.2 grains. Lot C needs the micrometer to be set at 59, yet it throws only 41.7 grains. All three produce best accuracy between 2600 and 2640 FPS.

The first three lots all have different bulk density and burning rates. The remaining three lots are similar to Lots B and C. Lot D, for example, is similar to Lot B in bulk density but needs a bit more weight to achieve peak accuracy. I haven’t tested accuracy with Lots E and F for accuracy but they throw light with the same micrometer setting, just like Lot C.

If I were to mix them, I would mix the lots having similar bulk densities.

I will definitely take a look at bulk density, but H335 I would not think is prone to density changes.

Mix lots and brands as well.

Makes very consistant lawn fertilizer.