• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Comiefornia hicap laws

CB2BAAC3-2774-4796-ABFB-09ED15F8D13C.png

Cute only a simple question. I thought that got shot down in a court a while back.

If you fill them with meth they're probably fine. It's Cali.

Kidding, sheesh.

This is true only these haven’t been made a few decades so somewhat of a collector item. However it doesn’t sound like it would be worth the risk. At least according to all of you pecker heads Hahaha. Oh and thanks for all of the help

Imagine thinking that this would be the best place to find legal guidance…and not the destination’s governing authority.

Dude if everyone here said “you’re good chief, send em” but you weren’t and got hemmed up, do you think the excuse of “but random people on SH said it was ok” will work?

1652342305572.gif

• Haha
Reactions: acudaowner
Can someone educate me on California laws on high capacity gun magazines. Have a fellow that wants me to ship 20 and 30 round mags to him. What say the hide ?

Compliance isn't your problem. It's his.

Take the money first then ship them.

Imagine thinking that this would be the best place to find legal guidance…and not the destination’s governing authority.

Dude if everyone here said “you’re good chief, send em” but you weren’t and got hemmed up, do you think the excuse of “but random people on SH said it was ok” will work?

View attachment 7868070

Well..."My cousin's best friend was falsely arrested just because he was slapping his baby mama, so that's why I feared for my life and shot the officer asking for my ID," is a legal defense...if you fit the demographic parameters.

• Haha
Reactions: M8541Reaper
Had a dude “from cali” who wanted an mp5 pistol i had for sale. Said we could meet at the state line for extra money. Lmmfao. I responded with a link to a cali legal model for way less money and he just ghosted. Kinda odd eh??? Phishing should be illegal.

Serious question, can someone cite a california law that makes it illegal for someone to sell a high cap mag to a california resident

You can sell the mags provided they are limited to a 10 round capacity limit. How this is done is up to the person modifying them. For AR’s it is easy and done by a rivet in the side of the mag. For pistols a limiter is placed in the mag and usually the floor plate is then epoxied on to make it permanent.

We had one week of freedom. I stocked up on mags for guns I still don’t have. For a time, the law could have been interpreted as if you bought a mag during freedom week, you could still get more. Like if you could prove you bought gen 2 30 round pmags, you could buy more but not gen 3s. They obviously slammed that door shut.

No, he can't. California residents cannot "import" ammunition into the state.

You're wrong.
With a FFL03 and COE you can have ammunition shipped to your door from out of state, but without those two documents you are correct it must go to a FFL dealer for a ammo transfer.

Magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds can only be purchased by LEOs or FFL's with "High Capacity Magazine" Permits, and I doubt either one would be messaging you instead of going to a site like Brownells.

That being said if you install a magazine capacity block and a rivet they are gtg.

According to the official CA gov site I linked to above, possession is enough to warrant fines and imprisonment, no matter when they were acquired.

A friend of mine was a county sheriff in so-cal. Moved to NV (close to CA border) a couple of years ago. Has to show ID (proof of residence) to buy anything firearms-related.

Y'all do you.

Nope
Emphasis added to highlight the relevant part

ARTICLE 1. Rules Governing Large-Capacity Magazines [32310 - 32390]

( Article 1 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

(a) Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, buys, or receives any large-capacity magazine is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

I was asking which law forbids someone who IS NOT in California from selling a large capacity magazine to someone who is. What you quoted is not that.

I still stand by what I said. An out of state seller has no obligation to abide by California laws. The buyer does.

You can sell the mags provided they are limited to a 10 round capacity limit.

The OP of this thread does not live in California and is asking if he can sell and ship high cap magazines to someone in California.

The answer is yes.

A seller outside of California has no such restrictions as you claim. It's strictly the buyer's problem.

If I'm wrong, please post the relevant section of the CA Penal Code that says someone from OUTSIDE California cannot sell high cap mags to a CA resident or ship them to that person.

Last edited:
I'm thinking along the lines of 308pirate... isn't it up the CA resident to abide by the state laws.

OP, I left Cali, and am damn glad I did. If someone asks you to do them a solid, ask yourself, why can`t they do it themselves.

Do it, and you will be asked if you want to be the husband or the wife.

All right guys i already turned the down. FYI they were early Colt ar 15 20 round mags and 20 and 30 round T gun mags. THIS IS NOT AN OFFER TO SELL. Merely trying to clarify why they couldn’t be ordered from a retailer.
Post over.

Does not apply to persons outside of the state of California. 308Pirate's question was specific to those outside of the state selling to CA residents...

ARTICLE 1. Rules Governing Large-Capacity Magazines [32310 - 32390]

( Article 1 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

(a) Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, buys, or receives any large-capacity magazine is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.
(b) For purposes of this section, “manufacturing” includes both fabricating a magazine and assembling a magazine from a combination of parts, including, but not limited to, the body, spring, follower, and floor plate or end plate, to be a fully functioning large-capacity magazine.
(c) Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, commencing July 1, 2017, any person in this state who possesses any large-capacity magazine, regardless of the date the magazine was acquired, is guilty of an infraction punishable by a fine not to exceed one hundred dollars ($100) per large-capacity magazine, or is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed one hundred dollars ($100) per large-capacity magazine, by imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment.

Doesn't make is particularly smart, especially as I'm not confident about the limits on the long arm of CA law enforcement as it pertains to non-residents.

Reactions: BLEE and 308pirate
With a FFL03 and COE you can have ammunition shipped to your door from out of state, but without those two documents you are correct it must go to a FFL dealer for a ammo transfer.

Magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds can only be purchased by LEOs or FFL's with "High Capacity Magazine" Permits, and I doubt either one would be messaging you instead of going to a site like Brownells.

That being said if you install a magazine capacity block and a rivet they are gtg.
Thank you for that.

I was assuming the OP, or his friend didn't have an FFL, LE status, etc....

Because they were seeking answers here instead of just being grown ass men, and pulling the trigger like freemen would.

"Hey, I have a question about activities which are very very likely to be illegal, where should I go for advice?"

Yeah...let's broadcast that shit all over the internet. Wtf.

Reactions: rafiki76
No retailer is willing to sell high capacity magazines to California residents. Take a hint from them and shitcan this idea.

Why business do or don't do something often has zero bearing with the legality of it

Why business do or don't do something often has zero bearing with the legality of it

Yup! I remember once on Gunbroker where I saw a listing for a CA legal AR and the seller wouldn't sell to CA residents. I understand why the gun community hates CA so much, but I think that's a piss poor excuse to not do business. If I'm in the business of selling guns you can be damn sure I'm gonna know the laws of every state so I'm not limiting my potential buyers.

Reactions: 308pirate
Yup! I remember once on Gunbroker where I saw a listing for a CA legal AR and the seller wouldn't sell to CA residents. I understand why the gun community hates CA so much, but I think that's a piss poor excuse to not do business. If I'm in the business of selling guns you can be damn sure I'm gonna know the laws of every state so I'm not limiting my potential buyers.
The most frustrating thing ever. Trying to buy an AR online is the biggest pain in the world. If the seller separates the upper and lower, as long as the model isn't banned by name its gtg. But almost no seller will do this. I wish sellers would be more open to selling to CA.

Thank you for that.

I was assuming the OP, or his friend didn't have an FFL, LE status, etc....

Because they were seeking answers here instead of just being grown ass men, and pulling the trigger like freemen would.

"Hey, I have a question about activities which are very very likely to be illegal, where should I go for advice?"

Yeah...let's broadcast that shit all over the internet. Wtf.
I also assume this guy doesn't have either, I just wanted to put it out there for edification.

The most frustrating thing ever. Trying to buy an AR online is the biggest pain in the world. If the seller separates the upper and lower, as long as the model isn't banned by name its gtg. But almost no seller will do this. I wish sellers would be more open to selling to CA.

I'm guessing you haven't read up on how Commiefornia tries to pressure, bully, threaten and blackmail any FFLs who ship to California into extra onerous steps and restrictions and reporting and such.

There is a reason people don't want to ship things to aggressively anti 2A states and that's because the governments of those states tend to try to make life miserable for anyone selling into that state, even if they have to ignore the laws completely and just hope to wear them down with frivolous lawsuits and phony trumped up charges.

I'm guessing you haven't read up on how Commiefornia tries to pressure, bully, threaten and blackmail any FFLs who ship to California into extra onerous steps and restrictions and reporting and such.

There is a reason people don't want to ship things to aggressively anti 2A states and that's because the governments of those states tend to try to make life miserable for anyone selling into that state, even if they have to ignore the laws completely and just hope to wear them down with frivolous lawsuits and phony trumped up charges.
I actually haven't read up on that. I heard that there are extra steps for shipping into CA but I didn't know they were that bad. Makes sense then why sellers refuse to ship to CA then, they don't want to deal with this hassle.

I thought I heard a few years ago that Barrett refuses to sell or even service already purchased rifles by California agencies and departments because of their fucked up laws. Good for them.

Reactions: rafiki76