• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Compact hunting scopes

Langford

Private Parts
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2014
Middlemitten
Is there anything better and more compact than the March 1.5-15x42?

10.6” length, 22oz, great magnification range.

I’m looking for something to put on a new hunting rig. Compactness is a big priority, along with brightness/image quality. LPVO’s are out, I’d like a larger exit pupil for low light shooting. SFP is fine, illumination is a must, reliability is also key. Weight isn’t as big of a concern as OAL. Simple reticle is also fine, I’ll likely dial for longer shots vs holdovers. Since it’s a hunting rig, I don’t want to be over 3x on the low end and like 12+ on the high end for spotting/longer shots.

The above March seems to check all the boxes, but I’m open to other suggestions. While we are discussing the March, any feedback on that scope in particular?

Thanks in advance!

Is there anything better and more compact than the March 1.5-15x42?

10.6” length, 22oz, great magnification range.

I’m looking for something to put on a new hunting rig. Compactness is a big priority, along with brightness/image quality. LPVO’s are out, I’d like a larger exit pupil for low light shooting. SFP is fine, illumination is a must, reliability is also key. Weight isn’t as big of a concern as OAL. Simple reticle is also fine, I’ll likely dial for longer shots vs holdovers. Since it’s a hunting rig, I don’t want to be over 3x on the low end and like 12+ on the high end for spotting/longer shots.

The above March seems to check all the boxes, but I’m open to other suggestions. While we are discussing the March, any feedback on that scope in particular?

Thanks in advance!
March is releasing an FFP model early next year.

Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 is always in the running.
I like the S&B Klassik 3-12x42 with P3L mildot reticle, but it's not a compact scope.
Both in the 20 ounce and $1,500-$1,600 price range new

Reactions: Enigmo and Quintus
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 is always in the running.
I like the S&B Klassik 3-12x42 with P3L mildot reticle, but it's not a compact scope.
Both in the 20 ounce and $1,500-$1,600 price range new
Good chioices, nevertheless.

Reactions: Charlie112
Depends on how compact you want to go….The leupold 3.6-18x44 mark5 hd is hard to beat for a feature rich, lightweight hunting scope. The NF nx8 2.5-20x50 is also a nice hunting scope. I have both on hunting rifles and really like them.

I live out west and take 400-800 yard shots on game pretty regular when the wind isn’t to bad. I’ve never used illumination on a hunting rifle scope, I’ve always been able see my reticle during legal shooting hours hunting big game. 4x at low end has never been a problem finding animals quickly at close range. 12x-18x power is as high as I use, and have been able to watch impacts just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: powdahound76
Lack of decent reticle with illum kills the Mk5 imo, otherwise it would be pretty close to the ideal hunting scope for me. If I ever spring for alpha glass on my scope the March 1-15 or 4.5-28 WA are definitely at the top of my list

I keep using my bushnell LRHS 3-12. Plus, bought it on a good deal used and am at about 1/3 of a new mk5 (plus silly new rings) or a new NF 2.5-10.

I have tried lots of others and it keeps working best for me.
In the state I live, illuminated reticles are not allowed for hunting, so thats a non starter.
Honestly, I can see my reticle on game before legal shooting in the AM (by just a hair) so I dont feel the need.
I also have 20/10 vision and very good vision in low light.

Reactions: 65x55guy
I keep using my bushnell LRHS 3-12. Plus, bought it on a good deal used and am at about 1/3 of a new mk5 (plus silly new rings) or a new NF 2.5-10.

In the state I live, illuminated reticles are not allowed for hunting, so thats a non starter.
Honestly, I can see my reticle on game before legal shooting in the AM (by just a hair) so I dont feel the need.
How is the LRHS reticle at extended ranges (300+ yards) in the 3-12 ? Does it get too big ?

Just recently I purchased a Burris 2x10x42, installed the scope on my CTR, .223. I am very happy with the optics package as a whole. My primary use of this set up is varmints. My shooting distance rarely exceeds 250, so this scope is preforming well. I do use a fire dot system from Leopold on my other rifle,, but so far all is well with the Burris.

How is the LRHS reticle at extended ranges (300+ yards) in the 3-12 ? Does it get too big ?

Probably depends on what you are shooting.
For me, not at all.
I can shoot 1” dots at 300 with it.
6” circle at 600 is a good target.

1/2 gal jug at 975 is easy to see/shoot.
Hitting depends on the shooter. 😉

Easier passed 700 with a nice 6-24 Kahles or 6-36 with more wind holds, and very doable.
Easier with no wind of course, which is rarer than hens teeth in CO.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
I had one in sfp, it is a very nice scope, I also have a zeiss v8 , the eyebox and bright image when quickly shouldering the rifle is night and day better on the v8, but the march is very compact

Unless its changed in the last couple years, you can use a scope with an illuminated reticle. What you can't use is NV, thermal, or artificial light.

I don't believe it has changed after going through the new brochure and the rules in regulations.

Last edited:
In my opinion, for low weight, for the money high quality, best glass.The Schmidt bender classic is unbeatable.