• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes compact/lightweight optic for 308ar

emanresu

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Looking for some comparisons / recommendations between the following: March 3-24x52 FML-T1, Leupold Mark 6 3-18 M5C2 Tremor 3, and the Vortex AMG.

Unfortunately I don't really have the option to look through them myself for a direct comparison. I've narrowed it down to these choices due to weight/size/magnification range... but only on paper. I haven't actually handled any of these and I don't think I want to wait until an opportunity presents itself to do so.

Will typically be shooting steel targets out to 800-900 with most in the 300-700 range. The 3x low end magnification is a plus for the March and Leupold in my mind but the 6x on the AMG is certainly acceptable.

Have I omitted anything from the list that I should take a second look at? I've done my best to minimize weight on this rifle so I am pretty sure I want to stay under the 30oz point which really has me leaning towards the 24ish oz weight of either the March or Leupold options. Any first hand experience or opinions to help sway me into a decision would be greatly appreciated so I can get on with shooting instead of reading about scopes.

The NF 4-16 F1 would be my first choice. I really like the NXS compact 2.5-10x42 though. I've used it on my 308 gas gun out to 1000 yards without issue. Would gladly take another.

I have all 3 and the NF 4-16. My favorite is the AMG. The reticle to me is the best. The March is amazing and truly a wonder, I think for hunting it has the best reticle and I love the open center dot, however I will admit it does get a little dark at 24x and the FML-1 is a little thick, which is great for hunting, but if it's just steel I typically go thinner.
I will say this, I recently sold the Leupy because the glass just doesn't compare at all to me.
Also The March can focus down to 10 yards at 24x which is impressive.

Covert is as Covert does.

Plenty of good feedback on the scout site.

Out of the scopes you mentioned, I think I would go with the Vortex 6-24 AMG. I've had nothing but positive experiences with Vortex. If you are LEO/vet, their program for us is very generous. For what it's worth, I have the Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27 with EBR-2C reticle and I love it. It would not be for you because it is a 3 lb. scope. If the 6-24 AMG has a reticle as good as the EBR-2C, I would go with that. And even though you will probably never need it, there is that warranty.....

March 3-24x52 FML-T1

Looking for some comparisons / recommendations between the following: March 3-24x52 FML-T1, Leupold Mark 6 3-18 M5C2 Tremor 3, and the Vortex AMG.

Unfortunately I don't really have the option to look through them myself for a direct comparison. I've narrowed it down to these choices due to weight/size/magnification range... but only on paper. I haven't actually handled any of these and I don't think I want to wait until an opportunity presents itself to do so.

Will typically be shooting steel targets out to 800-900 with most in the 300-700 range. The 3x low end magnification is a plus for the March and Leupold in my mind but the 6x on the AMG is certainly acceptable.

Have I omitted anything from the list that I should take a second look at? I've done my best to minimize weight on this rifle so I am pretty sure I want to stay under the 30oz point which really has me leaning towards the 24ish oz weight of either the March or Leupold options. Any first hand experience or opinions to help sway me into a decision would be greatly appreciated so I can get on with shooting instead of reading about scopes.

Thanks for the feedback everyone

I have all 3 and the NF 4-16. My favorite is the AMG. The reticle to me is the best. The March is amazing and truly a wonder, I think for hunting it has the best reticle and I love the open center dot, however I will admit it does get a little dark at 24x and the FML-1 is a little thick, which is great for hunting, but if it's just steel I typically go thinner.
I will say this, I recently sold the Leupy because the glass just doesn't compare at all to me.
Also The March can focus down to 10 yards at 24x which is impressive.

Covert is as Covert does.

Plenty of good feedback on the scout site.

Can't argue with hands on experience of all three. Very much appreciated.

Hey emanresu,

Check out the Sig Sauer Tango 4 3-12x42. It's 24ozs., FFP, Zero stop, Illuminated, Nice glass (IMHO). I picked it up for $650 from Optics Planet. I had a coupon from black friday. They are selling some scopes for 40% off right now. I saw a sweet Tango 6 2-12x40 right now going for just under a $1000. I don't know what that weighs though?

IanHusaberg Out